I've seen this program being used in a few Niconico train videos and did not realize it was completely open source and in English too! It seems like it's used more for MADs (fancy term for fan created music remix/parody videos) and general screenshots than actual layout building but it's quite fun to play around in. There are a lot of user created plugins to add trains and scenery (and even different types of rails and ties!) if you Google around (searching for "RailSim II プラグイン" generally brings up quite a few sites) and some cool videos people have made with the program. I've gotten used to the interface and options, only the quick guide is in English but it's enough to get you started.

http://www.biwako.ne.jp/~hiroharu/e_railsim.html

Here's a few screenshots I took, the E3 series Shinkansen I added has little (low-res) sparks that fly off the pantograph at full notch :)

image021

imageg004

image023

Only problem is it seems to have frames drop a lot (depending on detail) and also might be locked at 30fps...will have to try on something other than my laptop. Oh, and those screenshots aren't reflective of what the graphics are like in the actual software, there isn't antialiasing although again that could be my laptop.

Edited by Zeether
  • Like 2

Hello JP train fans,

First I'm new in this forum, I'm Basile, 30 yo living in Switzerland. Love Japanese trains and Japan since I'm young. Had the chance to travel in Japan in 1996 and missing it really much.

I know this post is old but I just found this simulator and it looks very cool. The problem is almost everything is in Japanese and difficult to find routes and trains through google in english. 

Does anybody know a bit more about this game and where we can find plugins (routes/trains/etc) ?

Thanks in advance.

B