Stephen Postlethwaite

Stephen Postlethwaite

Hi everybody never had any form of train set before, but I am thinking of building one.

I would like to base my set purely on the shinkansen trains, using kato kit.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

I am from the UK, but have a fascination for all things Japanese, and particularly the shinkansen trains.

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome! For your layout, i would suggest you to watch lots of train videos (both real and model ones) to find what you like the most, then check your available space and buget and then build you layout. It can be anything from a kato base set running on the floor to a large permanent layout. If you plan to have something more permanent, then figuring out the land- or cityscape is also lots of fun.

Hi Stephen,

Welcome! If you are focusing totally on shinkansens then think about the usual track situations there which are viaduct, raised embankment tracks, stations, cuts, tunnels, etc. much less track at grade level as they try to keep the track very level with as little grade as possible and also want no access to the tracks and no track grade crossings. When at normal grade level you usually have then have high fences around the tracks.

Cheers

Jeff