What unlikely releases do you want?

Guest keio6000

That's fair! I do like some of the "odder" releases, I guess, like the Chiba (though not sure what scale that is) and Tokyo monorail models even if you can't necessarily run them (without rigging something up yourself, at least). One of the things I really want is a maintenance vehicle like one of the MTTs by Greenmax, for example.

For "150 Years Rails in japan" Anniversary in 2022:

The first Japanese Train

JGR Class 150 with some Coaches and Freight Cars from 1872.

• Like 1

One that has annoyed me since getting into Japanese trains is that no one - not Kato, not Tomix, not MicroAce, not Greenmax, not even Popondetta - makes anything from JR Shikoku besides the Shikoku 2000 series(and 2000 TSE and N2000). The only others I’ve found are this Tomytec set with the 1000 and 1200 series. While I don’t like those ones as much, I love the 2600, 2700, and 8600 series, so none of them being available is annoying. 

Interestingly enough, though, with a desperate google search I found this:

http://permil.cart.fc2.com/ca4/98/

Apparently the body is made of paper, and only the front is metal?? And apparently it can be run with DC as well?

“[Products required for completion]
- Coreless motor power unit made by GM Power unit 21 m class (No.5712)
- Power bogie frame substitutes for Kiha 200 etc.
- DT50 etc when assembling as a T car.
- Close-up TN coupler (0337) and others.”
(Taken from Shikoku 1500 series 7th batch)

That said, I would still like a main brand release of JR Shikoku.

There are a lot more JR Shikoku sets than just the 2000 series. You must mean recent trains.

Tomix produced:

-Kiha 40 and 47

-Kiha 185

-Series 5000 ‘Marine liner’

Micro Ace

-Kiha 32

-Kiha 47

-Kiha 54

-Kiha 185

-Setoshi Bridge joyful trains

-115 series

-121 series

-213 series old Marine liner

-2000 and N2000 series

-8000 series

-DE10 hauled joyful train

Edited by disturbman

8 diffirent Shikoku based train sets been released so far in 2021.

3 set currently up for pre-order.

KIHA32 Kaiyodo Hobby Train `Ultra Train-go` (Model Train) 

KIHA54 w/Skirt + KIHA32 Round Head Light J.R. Shikoku Color Two Car Set (2-Car Set) (Model Train) 

J.R. Series KIHA185 Limited Express Diesel Car (Revival J.N.R. Color) Set (2-Car Set) (Model Train) 

KIHA54 + TORA45000 `Shiman Torocco Go` Expansion Skirt Two Car Set (2-Car Set) (Model Train) 

J.R. Diesel Train Type KIHA40-2000 (J.R. Shikoku Color) (M) (Model Train) 

J.R. Diesel Train Type KIHA47-0 (J.R. Shikoku Color) Set (2-Car Set) (Model Train) 

KIHA32 Third Generation Kaiyodo Hobby Train (Model Train) 

Series KIHA185 `Island Express Shikoku II` Three Car Set (3-Car Set) (Model Train) 

J.R. Suburban Train Series 223-5000 / Series 5000 `Marine Liner` Set F (6-Car Set) (Model Train) 

J.R. Suburban Train Series 223-5000 / Series 5000 `Marine Liner` Set E (5-Car Set) (Model Train) 

J.R. Series KIHA185 Limited Express Diesel Car (J.R. Shikoku Color) Additional Set (Add-On 2-Car Set) (Model Train) 

J.R. Series KIHA185 Limited Express Diesel Car (J.R. Shikoku Color) Standard Set (Basic 4-Car Set) (Model Train) 

• Like 1
On 10/12/2021 at 12:02 PM, railsquid said:

Maybe MicroAce might re-release theirs:

48072661643_9dc1072609_z.jpg

MicroAce Class E ( by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(though it's 1:120 scale; might be challenging to produce a 1:150 version, unless the motor is hidden in the leading coach).

the scale would be perfect for my TT scale New Zealand railways layout. NZR had a very similar loco as well, back in the day. Courtesy of Wikipedia.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_D_class_(1874)#/media/File:D_Class_steam_locomotive,_NZR_no_197,_2-4-0T_type,_at_Lower_Hutt,_1906._ATLIB_277767.png

5 hours ago, disturbman said:

There are a lot more JR Shikoku sets than just the 2000 series. You must mean recent trains.

4 hours ago, katoftw said:

8 diffirent Shikoku based train sets been released so far in 2021.

3 set currently up for pre-order.

Yeah I should’ve specified, I only really like the recent express trains. The Kiha 185s and such aren’t really for me. Also, I don’t really like the 8000 series that much, and the 5000 is okay. It’s mainly the 2600/2700 and 8600 series that I like.

Edited by Brennan91
6 hours ago, mr_bananies said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but wouldn't it be cool if they made an FGT-9000?

FGT9000_Profile.jpg

I'd definitely buy one of those!

Tomix 97935 ... JR 103. I definitely love this green livery with the white band. 

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/97935.html

1897405604_2010.08-KyotoStation-JR103LocaltrainboundtoNara(Website).thumb.jpg.749b3a6da3b8389035b2f8c402bc1e20.jpg

I got the chance to shoot this local train, probably freshly repainted / refurbished in Kyoto station, going to Nara (I was travelling with a limited express boarding on the platform on the left handside)

Just look to all those newly painted valve (yellow, orange, white) and thebrillant inox destination window. 

JM

Edited by JR East
  • Like 1

97935 and its non-limited edition twin, TOMIX 98422, should still be available. If not in our normal retailers, at least on YJA. You might even get it at a decent price, I feel that items are selling for slightly less than usual atm.

• Thanks 1
On 12/21/2021 at 6:54 PM, disturbman said:

97935 and its non-limited edition twin, TOMIX 98422, should still be available. If not in our normal retailers, at least on YJA. You might even get it at a decent price, I feel that items are selling for slightly less than usual atm.

You're right, 98422 (pot. + 98423). RGR seems out of stock. I've questionned Masahru. Plaza Japan is also out of stock

On Yahoo Japan the prices are sometimes crazy w/regard to the initial retail price (and for this one particularly). I found some reasonable YJA sellers in case of. 

Thanks

JM

With YJA, it's a usually a question of waiting. The sets that are always for sale are usually overpriced and you just need to wait until someone offload their set for a reasonable amount.

The closed search function gives me a median price of 17,500 JPY for 98422 (with or without 98423) atm.

Maybe those sets are in high demand due to the recent retirement of the last 103s in Nara livery. It might blow over in time, prices on YJA can fluctuate a lot depending on what people are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Questionning RGR ... Masaharu found a set 98422 +98423 in his stock despite the website announced 'Out of Stock' (alway good to question your favourite dealer). Thus, I've ordered it immediatly together with my other purchases. 

Next delivery will be quite consistent (basically my xmas + anniversary gifts).

JM

• Thanks 1

Another Capricorn.

You are lucky. I passed on those and should have ordered one.

Consistent? You mean you are getting more Tomix JR West 103?

Fanofthomas31

One model I'd really like to have is the Oigawa Railway's C56 #44 "James" engine from their Day Out with Thomas events. Though, seeing how Tomix made a C11 Thomas not too long ago, James wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

However, another engine I'd really like to have is the Okayama Chuggington tram. While TomyTec has released a series of Chuggington wrapped trams recently, I doubt they'd try making a special mold for this one. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV4kanJXkAAOrkE.jpg

• Like 1

Actually there seems to be quite a few of those full Oigawa Thomas sets still sitting on shelves in a good number of shops. For me it was the lazy approach to the Ibuki 501 loco which made me lose interest in its release. Would have been nice to have a working version instead of the second motor in one of the Oha 47. 

So never say never, as it’s Tomix but it’ll probably take a lot of persuading. I personally thought C56 James looked far more convincing than C11 Thomas.

90E8F7DA-36DE-48CF-B343-FBD42F681579.jpeg

To be really honest, new steam locomotives of any type would be fantastic! I've got a wee bit of a wish list for that (probably not entirely realistic, but hey, it doesn't cost to dream!😞)

From Kato's back catalog:

• C12 - re-release
  • 8620 - re-release (2028-1 Tohoku ver.) plus new tooling variants (first series 'S' cab, Kyushu, Hokkaido, etc.)
  • C56 - re-release (2020-1 Koumi Line ver.) plus variants (i.e. for other routes than the Koumi Line)
  • C57 - retooled fourth-series locomotive (number plates centered, not hanging off the front of the cab!)
  • C59 - re-release (2026-1 Kure Line ver.) plus variants (as above for C56)
  • D51 - re-release for Hokkaido variants which seem to demand crazy money on YAJ, plus new tooling variants for other regions (thinking Kyushu here!)

And in the completely new, scale sized camp:

• 230 class 2-4-2T (or similar type)
  • 2120 class 0-6-2T
  • 5500 class 4-4-0 (or similar type)
  • C51
  • C53
  • D50
  • D52
  • D61
  • D62
  • E10

Some of these have been available in the past from manufacturers like Micro Ace or as kits from World Kougei, but it would be nice to see them in scale-sized, R-T-R format one day. Oh, and more steam-era rolling stock for them to pull. One gripe I have is that no-one has done any appropriate flatdeck wagons beyond obviously the 1960s-era KoKi 5000 or the 1970s-era ChiKi 7000, and JNR would definitely have had such wagons in regular service during its lifetime.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:13 AM, Fanofthomas31 said:

One model I'd really like to have is the Ōigawa Railway's C56 #44 "James" engine from their Day Out with Thomas events. Though, seeing how Tomix made a C11 Thomas not too long ago, James wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

Bear in mind this locomotive in model form wouldn't be 100% accurate as C56 44 has a few unique modifications (cab roof/tender) from its time in Thailand, though manufacturers are usually pretty good at warning when a model isn't an exact replica of a particular vehicle. Tomix could eventually do a C56, but I'd say that either Ōigawa's C56 135 (targeted to enter service in December 2025) or Kyōto Railway Museum's C56 160 would be better options as they're either running or will be running in future.

C56 44 has not been the most successful in preservation with premature boiler wear having gotten the better of it by 2003. Even after its boiler was replaced in 2007 with that from parts donor C12 208/'Percy', it was still restricted to no more than three coaches solo until its forced retirement following a 'malfunction' in September 2019. It's now stored out of service and needs a full overhaul before it can run again - preservation speak for 'don't expect to see it running in a hurry'. Ōigawa already has two locomotives in service (C10 8, C11 190/'Thomas'), plus one under overhaul (C56 135) and a fourth (C12 164) was supposedly inspected in 2016-17 to see what would be needed to get it running again.

Alastair

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, ED75-775 said:

E10

Afaik, the MA E10 is to scale. Only problem, it commands a rather hefty price on the second hand market.

• Like 1

Kato’s 9600 hasn’t been produced since 2002 so crying out for release. Not owning one, I couldn’t say if tooling needed updating but seemed a solid model. 

13 hours ago, JR East said:

I would be happy to see the E655 (https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/e655kei) re-released together with the imperial car

The Imperial car addition, IIRC was going to be a one off run, although Kato later did another run of this along with the 5 car train. Not sure many purchased the E655 to run as anything other than the Imperial train but again I think the agreement to produce the Imperial carriage came later and Kato left space in the bookcase to accommodate it. It is a beautifully produced model, with a deep brown paint that turns purple in certain light. 

I own the E655 with its Imperial updates as well as the older brown coaches of the Imperial train (Kato 10-418) For me it would be great for Kato to produce the 157 version in JNR Express colour. (10-456)

Models Imon have just done a HO 1/87 12mm version for a cool ¥750,000.

Perhaps Kato just need to produce all 3 Imperial trains as the Royal version of the DD54 and DD51 have not been done in a long time either. 

• Thanks 1