Ryokan...

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Hello all,

I've spent the whole afternoon today booking hotels for our trip. So far the effort has ended at Takayama...which leads to a question, does anyone know of a ryokan/traditional Japanese hotel @ Takayama which could be recoommended? Lots available on Agoda and Booking.com but I would like to have some references before booking. The choice fell on Takayama because it's the last small town before we hit the big centres again, plus it has the "traditional" Japanese town look, staying at a ryokan there would add to the experience. Also it would make a break from the "boxes with beds" we will be staying at.

With 35 days to go I think I've cut my reservation schedule too thin...several Toyoko hotels along the route are closed for renovation, another couple full (at Toyama we will have to stay in single rooms) and in a couple of places we've booked into Superhotels. I hope I don't run into snags at Kyoto and Nagoya.

Cheers NB

You can't go wrong with Takayama. I have found Rakuten's travel website to be quite good. The guest ratings for hotels seem true based on my experience. Unless you are traveling during a peak period like Golden Week, Obon etc, I rarely had trouble booking ryokans at the last minutes. Weekends are sometimes full but not weekdays. Takayama does have a famous festival in mid April, so check your dates. 

I see Takayama listed in the English drop-down menu for towns in the Rakuten's hotel search. http://travel.rakuten.com/  Change language to English in the upper right corner.

Hope that helps.