Train related Movies

JR 500系

Hi there!

We all love trains right? That's why we're here! And the Japanese does them very well, if not the best! Having said that, there are other nice trains out there and what better way than to watch them on movies. Here's a list from wiki for all the train movies to date:

A list of films set on trains:

Title Year Atomic Train 1999 Avalanche Express 1979 Back to the Future Part III 1990 Before Sunrise 1995 Breakheart Pass 1975 Broken Arrow 1996 Bullet To Beijing 1995 Bullet Train, The 1975 Burning Train, The 1980 Caught On A Train 1980 Chennai Express 2013 Cassandra Crossing, The 1975 Danger Lights 1930 Darjeeling Limited, The 2007 Death, Deceit and Destiny Aboard the Orient Express 2000 Death Train 1993 Doctor Zhivago 1965 Dr. Terror's House of Horrors 1965 Emperor of the North Pole 1973 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 2004 The First Great Train Robbery 1979 From Russia with Love 1963 Flying Scotsman, The 1929 General, The 1927 Ghost Train, The 1941 Harvey Girls, The 1946 The Great Locomotive Chase 1956 Horror Express 1973 Incident, The 1967 Lady Vanishes, The 1938 Lady Vanishes, The 1979 Last Passenger 2013 Minder on the Orient Express 1985 Mission: Impossible 1996 Money Train 1995 Murder on the Orient Express 1974 Mystery Train, The 1931 Narrow Margin, The 1952 Night Mail 1936 Night Train 1959 Night Train 2009 Night Train to Munich 1940 Night Train To Venice 1996 North by Northwest 1959 North West Frontier 1959 Oh, Mr Porter! 1937 Pee-wee's Big Adventure 1985 Planes, Trains and Automobiles 1987 Polar Express, The 2004 Runaway Train 1985 Santa Fe Colorado Express 1903 Seven-Per-Cent Solution, The 1976 Shanghai Express 1932 Sherlock Holmes in Washington 1943 Silver Streak 1976 Sleeping Car to Trieste 1948 Snakes on a Train 2006 Snowpiercer 2013 Source Code 2011 Strangers on a Train 1951 Streamline Express 1935 The Taking of Pelham 123 2009 The Taking of Pelham One Two Three 1974 Terror By Night 1946 Terror Train 1980 Thomas and the Magic Railroad 2000 Throw Momma from the Train 1987 Timetable 1956 The Titfield Thunderbolt 1953 Tough Guys 1986 Train 2008 Train, The 1964 Train of Events 1949 Train of Life 1998 Trans-Europ-Express 1966 Transsiberian 2008 Twentieth Century 1934 Under Siege 2: Dark Territory 1995 Union Pacific 1939 Unstoppable 2010 Von Ryan's Express 1965

Of course there is the 1975 classic 'The Bullet Train' for Japanese trains featuring the '0'' series. A nice movie and at the same time providing tons of information and an 'insider' look at the CTC (Central Train Control).

Thing here is i'll like to highly recommend Unstoppable 2010. I just watch it and it's fantastic! Very under-rated show, a true train lover will definitely enjoy watching, and learning some train operations in the process! Here's the official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-0Ywc7wNY

Share your favourite train movies!

Guest keio6000

what, no http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060753/ night train to mundo fine?   that cinematic masterpiece is a must see.   i hear it just missed out on best picture.  it's also available on youtube:

i'm not sure there's a train in the movie though.   howver, 'from russia with love' surely should be on the list.

Guest keio6000

also, i suppose some of you haven't seen this.. worth a watch:

EDIT: apologies - the above is quite nice, but there is a version out there with more train footage as part of the video.  i'll try to find it.

Edited by keio6000

Funny you should mention MST3K, one of the movies featured called The Girl In Lover's Lane has trains in it and Joel and the robots sing train songs during one of the inbetween segments.

And there's this railroad safety film which coined the phrase "Why don't they look?":

... Thing here is i'll like to highly recommend Unstoppable 2010. I just watch it and it's fantastic! Very under-rated show, a true train lover will definitely enjoy watching, and learning some train operations in the process!...

A more appropriate title for this movie would be "Unwatchable". 

Cheers,

Mark.

A more appropriate title for this movie would be "Unwatchable". 

HHmm... I thought the show was pretty nice. It was based on a true story though...

Then to add another, the Lone Ranger 2013? Just watched it, not entirely train related, but there are plenty of train scenes (steam locomotive) in there...

Saying it was based on a true story is a bit of a stretch. I've had 39 years as a railwayman, so I feel safe in saying that most of what happened in the film was either highly improbable or utterly impossible.

As for the "Lone Ranger", I think the less said about that travesty the better.

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn

Not a "train movie", but one where the main character likes them (specifically, trams):

Another peripherally related to trains movie, but good:

station agent is on my top ten movies. really wonderfully done small story with pretty believable characters in a quirky story and great acting. definitely not hollywood! well well worth the watch. even has a model train shop as part of the movie! 

jeff

Well, movies are more or less fictionous right? I mean that's what make watching them fun at least ~ Definitely some of the manoeuvres are way far fetch and seems impossible in real life, but that's what make movies fun to watch. Classic example would be in the 'Matrix' 'Super Dodging bullets in ultra slow movement', or even the existence of aliens and 3rd life form, or even an intergalactic starship bigger than the size of earth itself...

Hi all,

Just to mention that there is a new movie where some trains are shown.

Not Japanese trains but some Korean trains are present.

Train To Busan

Actually the movies has... Trains + Zombies + Korea so I had to go to watch this movie (and I am glad I did it).

Here below a trailer:

Cheers,

Nxcale

p.s. there is also the animated prequel "Seoul Station" which I will be looking for on these days.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just to mention that there is a new movie where some trains are shown.

Not Japanese trains but some Korean trains are present.

Train To Busan

attachicon.gifTrain_to_Busan.jpg

Actually the movies has... Trains + Zombies + Korea so I had to go to watch this movie (and I am glad I did it).

Here below a trailer:

Cheers,

Nxcale

p.s. there is also the animated prequel "Seoul Station" which I will be looking for on these days.

Is there a PPV site where I can watch it? I couldn't find the movie anywhere.

Is there a PPV site where I can watch it? I couldn't find the movie anywhere.

Sorry I am not aware of a PPV at the moment, perhaps you could try checking your local cinema.

I checked my local cinema and there was only one "hidden" session (almost not advertising about it what so ever).

I thought there would be only 10 people in the session with some luck but it ended up being fully booked.

Also, some people in the audience gave standing ovation at the end of the movie (I think they were "zombie" fans... or train fans...? maybe "hallyu" fans or a combination of all).

Anyway, there was a nice vibe in the cinema.

Cheers,

Nxcale

p.s. I understand that the movie has been watched in cinemas for more than 10 million people. So, some cinemas around the world are showing it,

(source: http://www.soompi.com/2016/08/07/train-busan-first-korean-film-2016-top-10-million/)

We watched Train to Busan last night. Very entertaining but I thought a tad predictable.

Edited by Drunkenclam

What about "Moebius" (1996)

Here is the trailer (in italian - i couldn't find any other good quality one)

Translation of the first lines of the narrator (between 0:20 and 0:45)

Evrything happened in Buenos Aires, on 4th March.

Train number 86 departed wit destination Plaza de Majo...

...But it never got there. 

For five days nobody was able to understand what happened...

...trying to understand was a travel to the limits of reality.

Was it a case?

A premeditated happening?

Or a scientific theory? ....

I'm triyng to find a good quality version, but as today i had no luck.

IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117069/

Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moebius_(1996_film)

Looks cute, wonder if it's on Netflix? Have to ask my wife.

Of course the eames Classic on toy trains, Toccata for toy trains! I can see this one over and over again as its so superbly shot and the fun of toy trains just exudes out of the film even without ever seeing a hand on a toy train! Brings art to and brings out the art in toy trains. This was all shot with hand dollies and film. Painstaking work, shoot, review, tweak, repeat until just right. That was eames genius, refine until just the right way even if it was a part that you would never conciously notice he made sure it was just right so you subconscious, which had to process all the sensory data and might notice it, was happy with it.

Jeff

I know it's already on the list, but I'd suggest not watching Mission Impossible if you like your train scenes believable. Introducing the magical pantographless TGV! Featuring a roof hatch, no catenary, a helicopter in a tunnel, and a full emergency stop that takes 1 rotation of the choppers blades. Painful....

I know it's already on the list, but I'd suggest not watching Mission Impossible if you like your train scenes believable.

So why are you making it easier to do just what you don't suggest?  ;-)

I know it's already on the list, but I'd suggest not watching Mission Impossible if you like your train scenes believable. Introducing the magical pantographless TGV! Featuring a roof hatch, no catenary, a helicopter in a tunnel, and a full emergency stop that takes 1 rotation of the choppers blades. Painful....

It would have been more realistic to make Class 373 "Eurostar trains"

1024px-Eurostars_at_waterloo_internation

Wich do run in the Channel Tunnel and on the british side they collect current from a third rail, allowing for the elicopter scene.

Not to mention the wrong structure of the tunnel (the real channel tunnel uses three different tunnels - one for UK bound trains, the middle for emergencies and the other for the France bound trains)

Also if you watch at 0:35 youll' notice that this TGV Atlantique is two or three times longer than a real one.

Edited by DavideTreni

But at least the pantographs are there, pulled down and unpowered as they use them as grab irons after the roof hatch (around 15 seconds). The small bridge over the tracks is also british and has the typical size used for british standard gauge, which a TGV would have some problems fitting through, even with pantographs down. They just used a TGV instead of a modern british dual mode high speed train as there was none at the time of the filming. (a diesel / catenary electric would run on nonelectrified lines just like in the movie, with pantographs down and self powered)

Drunkenclam

Going back to Japanese trains (my knowledge lacks as to which type)

The Clam Clan watched the movie 'Swing Girls'featuring a few train scenes including one of the girls jumping out of the way into a paddy field, as far as I can see not a UK release. My copy from Amazon came from Thailand so has English or Thai subtitles.

Edited by cteno4
Fixed YouTube embed
  • Like 2