Going to Japan

I am planning to go to Japan this year.

The main purpose is to travel with the Hokutosei before retirement and to attend the Kiso logging railway narrow gauge festival.

I know Japan quite well but I have some very specific questions. Can anybody help me?

-What is the date for the Kiso festival (in 2013 it was 6 October)

-How can I book the Hokutosei (Ueno - Sapporo) before being in Japan and with a JR Pass. (Last time I asked a friend in Nagoya to purchase the ticket for me. It was for the Hamanasu.)

-Does anyone know how to hire a bicycle in Tateyama. (to travel along the Joganji river and to take pictures of the Sabo railway.)

-What about the railway museum in Otaru. Good or not?

-Running date of the Shirakami resort train?

It's for the moment just some ideas. You can comment if you have something to add...

Thank you for your help.

Nick_Burman
-Does anyone know how to hire a bicycle in Tateyama. (to travel along the Joganji river and to take pictures of the Sabo railway.)

Brilliant idea, but...isn't that part of the valley inaccessible? I've just turned Google Earth on and much to my joy the area around Tateyama and the whole of the Jogangi River valley has been updated. Although there are roads running parallel to the river, my remote sensing trained eyes seem to spot entrance gates at the Tateyama end of the valley, on both sides. If that is true, then only Sabo and power company (there is an hydro plant just a step away from Tatetyama) personnel can go in...understandable, the Ministry doesn't want to have people getting caught by the waters in the Jogangi decides to go on a rampage during a storm...

Cheers NB

Edit: the imaging is good enough that you can see the "Eighteen Steps", the 18 zig-zags used by the Sabo railway to gain height on the final approach to Mizuochi.

Edited by Nick_Burman