new livery for Yamagata Shinkansen E3s, new excursion E3 set

Posted by Dave Fossett on the jtrains list, Tetsudou Fan is carrying this also:

new fleet livery: http://railf.jp/news/2014/03/04/171500.html

"Toreiyu" excursion train: http://railf.jp/news/2014/03/04/173000.html

pdf on JR East's site with diagram of excursion train's modified Japanese style interior: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20140303.pdf

All regular services trains will have the new livery by the end of 2016, and the single 6-car Toreiyu set is to be in service by the end of July.

So a big refurbishment is coming up I understand?

But jeez, that livery is ugly as hell. The Toreiyu looks like it would be an okayish renewal livery for the Yamagata Shinkansen, but can you imagine that purple-gold thing going through the forests of Yamagata and such? I don't.

So they've decided to rebuild a former E3 trainset into a real excursion train between Fukushima and Shinjo--the first time a Shinkansen trainset has been converted into a Joyful Train excursion trainset. I wonder would they do the same for the Akita Shinkansen line between Morioka and Akita?

Edited by Sacto1985

I actually adore the new purple and red/yellow livery! Very tasteful and a good addition to the colourful fleet of JR East. If JR East just keeps upping the ante on Shinkansen liveries here, I might even get interested in buying models of them. I think my son wouldn't mind daddy having a few shiny and colourful shinkansen in his collection. The wife will mind... xD

• Like 1

They... just should not have put the red and yellow around the white 'eye patch' ... along the side looks OK.

Oh well... it's pretty enough.

Reminds me of:

800px-VL44_New_VLine_Livery.JPG

If nothing else, unlike JR Central they are not shy about using colours. Between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka all you see is white with blue stripe 700 series.

• Like 1

Actually I love that livery! I think it's a great change from the former silver and green. While I do like the former, the new ones are more daring and I like the new 4-seasons logo they place on the train. Looks fantastic in my opinion! Now I'm rather glad I didn't spurge on that E3-1000, cause now I can hopefully wait for the new model of the E3-1000 Yamagata Shinkansen ¬¬ (Hopefully... Ideally Kato to connect with my existing Kato E-series fleet)

Wait a minute - do I see an actual Foot bath in the train?? Cool!!! Talk about relaxing!

If nothing else, unlike JR Central they are not shy about using colours. Between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka all you see is white with blue stripe 700 series.

Yap agreed West... And of course the occasional Blue/ Black from the 500 series and white & black/ yellow from the Railstar is more than welcomed¬ They removed the 'Kodama' (white-Green-black strips) colours too so that's boring... Also don't think I saw any painted shinkansens for the Central and Tokaido lines too? Closest there is probably is the N700 Kyushu Celebration colour, and the up-coming Kumon-chan painted train...

• Like 1
NuclearErick

wait a minute... ???

this is the E3-1000 from Yamagata or the old E3 from Akita Shinkansen ??

maybe both will have this livery ??

Alas, between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka, the white color with thin blue stripe 700/N700/N700A trainsets totally dominate the line. At least between Shin-Osaka and Hakata, you get to see 500 Series with its unique color scheme and the Hikari Rail Star 700 Series. 

Mind you, I'd like to see JR Central paint at least a few N700A's (or N700's rebuilt to N700A standards) in the exact livery used by the 0 Series trainsets introduced in 1964....

• Like 1
The Next Station Is...

I'm another fan of the new purple/red/gold livery but not the excursion livery. It's so much more interesting than trains in the UK!

• Like 1

So this is the first joyful shinkansen? Both liveries look good to me... :) And yes, the white-purple-red-orange-yellow set does look like a train from the UK. (southwest and virgin have similar bright liveries)

Oh my god that white part makes it ugly!

Ditto that! What's with the white part? It would have looked amazing without that part... The blue is beautiful, and the logo is amazing! I like the orange stripe running across the train too ~  :)  

Thanks Toni!

Yes it does. The deep purple and pumpkin work well together. Pumpkin to deep red transition on the nose is also nice. Jr east art on the cars is really nice as well. I find the eyes interesting at a distance, which is how we look at most of out model trains anyway.

I want one! Tomix please! I want it to go with my e2.

Jeff

This train looks so damn good.

It definitely does. The artist's renderings and even the Tetsudou News image didn't do it justice (before I said I'd wait to see images of the new E353 before deciding on its appearance, now I'll wait to see video too). In the video, the white areas on the sides of the cab look fine to me, at least. Looks great barreling through Nasushiobara.

Looking at the video it looks really great indeed! I'm still not a fan of the white part on the front, but apart from that it looks amazing. I really like the paintings of flowers and trees on the cars too.

Definitely on my to buy list! DEFINTELY. A beautifully-painted shinkansen will always have space on my layout ~~ :)

Latest news:

http://s.news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/05/27/048/index.html?lead

グループは6月14日から9月13日まで、「山形デスティネーションキャンペーン」(山形DC)を展開する。食・温泉・歴史・文化・自然・人情を柱に、「山形の一日(朝・昼・夕・夜)」の魅力が楽しめる体験型・滞在型の旅行を提案するキャンペーンだ。

Google translate: June 14 to September 13, the group expand "Yamagata Destination Campaign" the (Yamagata DC). It is a campaign that pillars: food, spa, history, culture, nature, humanity, propose a trip hands-on-live-in to enjoy the charm, "the 1st of Yamagata (morning, noon and evening, night)" of.

AND

http://s.news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/03/04/379/?lead

JR東日本は4日、山形新幹線「つばさ」車両のエクステリアデザイン変更と、E3系を改造した「とれいゆ」の運転開始について発表した。ともにデザインは奥山清行氏(山形県出身の工業デザイナー、「KEN OKUYAMA DESIGN」代表)が手がけた。

Google translate: The 4th, JR East has announced the exterior design changes Yamagata Shinkansen "Tsubasa" vehicle, for the start of operation of "Reiyu and" that modify the E3 system. Mr. Ken Okuyama (industrial designer of Yamagata Prefecture, "KEN OKUYAMA DESIGN" representative) dealt with the design together.

For the 2nd one, I know it has began operations, but I recall seeing on JR East website there is one with foot spa in the train itself. Could this news be relating to that train set?

Now, can we please have some models please? Especially the 2nd one, really striking colours.. Tomix please?

* Come to think about it, was there ever a E3-2000 series model? I don't recall seeing one... *