Trains in anime/manga

Zeether

8 hours ago, SwallowAngel said:

I found about this anime and thought to myself "Hey, why not watch it?" I put on the first episode of the first season and after roughly a minute I could already tell that it wouldn't be the most exciting...

Though after reading the MyAnimeList Page I stumbled upon the Steam page (haha, Steam, get it?). Once I got there though I was intrigued, as the Art seemed decent and, well, trains. Honestly though, I was absolutely dumbfounded when the reviews mentioned an +18 DLC?? Wasn't this supposed to be about trains???? 

Anyhow though, I personally would like a series dedicated to exploring the more technical aspects of trains, instead of trying to spin trains into something they aren't are. Trains intrigued me due them being sheer mechanical marvels of engineering, not because they are cute anime girls or have fun fantasy adventures (*cough* modern Thomas the Tank Engine *cough*).

Portraying things as they are or were is usually much more exciting than pretending their something else

The anime certainly distances itself from that, but trust me, you DON'T want to know about its origins from what the reviews said... 

Then again, maybe it's for the best that there isn't too much mass media dedicated to railways as what they really are, rather than spinning them into what they aren't.

If something gets too popular, it's distorted to appeal to the lowest common denominator and dumbed-down. But maybe I'm overthinking things.

If I wrote an anime (based on real people and friends of mine in Hitoyoshi) I'd certainly give a lot of action and screen time devoted to trains even if just in the background, since the setting of Hitoyoshi necessitates that trains are all around. 

And do not speak of what rubbish the little blue creation of a certain Anglican railway-loving clergyman created has become again for as long as you live... 

Not quite anime/manga but there are a few Japanese TV series and movies about trains that I haven't seen anyone mentioning around the forum. They are actually pretty old so you might have watched them already:

1. 新幹線物語'93夏 (Shinkansen Story' Summer of 93) and 新幹線'97恋物語 (Shinkansen's Love story of 97)

These two are TV series about shinkansen's onboard service crew. Filmed with full support from JR Central, they're more or less advertisements...but overall good stories.

2. 鉄道員, Poppoya (Railwayman)

A movie by Ken Takakura based on a novel about the final days of a railway employee on a closing branch line in Hokkaido.