Trains in anime/manga

Zeether

On 2/8/2019 at 7:02 AM, Kiha66 said:

Later a two car EMU crosses a different bridge in another transition scene.  No idea what it is, looks like non JNR rolling stock at the very least.
https://i.imgur.com/Y3NdQF2.jpg

From a close observation, it looks like a squashed-up, un-proportioned 155 series in shonan colors, altough these never ran in 2-car sets.

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1

It's comfy and cute.  A young girl grows up in a shrine in modern Tokyo with messenger of inari as a friend.   Not much deep plot but enjoyable enough to watch.

• Thanks 1

What I'd guess is a 209 of some sort on the Chūō-Sōbu line in Fruits Basket.  So far the characters never ride a train but it shows up in the background of some late night city scenes.  In this case it makes enough noise to distract the drunk salary men from noticing one of the main characters turning into a rat behind them.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/551910768883400744/586797549524877332/unknown.png

7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

What I'd guess is a 209 of some sort on the Chūō-Sōbu line in Fruits Basket

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/551910768883400744/586797549524877332/unknown.png

Seems rather to be an E231-0, as it has a stainless front (209-500s have a white front) and no black JR logo behind the first door (the E231-900/209-950 series does).

• Thanks 1

Miscellany from various series or movies i've been watching in this period:

Fumikiri Jikan (Crossing Time) - 2018

This wery short anime (each episode is only 4 minutes long) is set at railway crossings.

Either a Seibu 9000 series or later-batch 2000 series ("New 2000") is the first train to appear. Right in the intro.

Said 9000/New2000 is also the first to be actually seen running, in episode 1. It has a blue (empty) headmark. 

(the same train is also seen in the last episdoe, wich is set in the same location)

Episode 2 fetaures a Tobu 30000 series

Episode 3 fetaures an E235 passing trough the only remaining Yamanote Line level crossing (the one between Tabata and Komagome stations).

Said E235 appears to have been repainted in Seibu colors for episode 4.

Episode 5 is set on the Tobu Kameido Line and fetaures Tobu 8000 series set No.8577 in the commemorative red/orange liviery...

... and set No.8568 in it's own commemorative Green/White liviery.

Episode 6 fetaures a Tobu 500 series "Revaty". These trains were only a year and a month old at the time of this episode.

Episode 7 fetaures an E231-1000 at what could be the crossing just south of Shinjuku station...

... wich appears to have gangwayed cabs!

Episode 9 fetaures a Toden Arakawa Line Maroon-liveried 7700 series tram (either unit 7706, 7707 or 7708)...

and a yellow/blue liveried 7500 series with anachronistic LED destination indicators.

Episode 10 (set in the same location as EP.9) fetaures a Toden 7700 series.

It was actually retired on the 10th of June 2017, one year and one day before the release of this episode.

Persona 5: The Animation - 2018

They appear to have used just one (3D?) train model (based on the Tokyu 5000 series, but with 3 instead of 4 doors per car and with diamond pantographs instead of the correct single arm-ones) wich gets repainted according to the line it's seen on.

Here's as a correct Tokyu Toyoko Line 5050 series. This scene is the only one where the front of this train can be (partially) seen

In the original game (wich also had anime-style cutscenes) the train crashing in this scene was depicted as a JR 209-500 series in an orange liviery, closely resembling the Musashino Line one.

Wait. Is that poster on the left column the front of a Bandai B-Shorty Hanzomon Line 08 series box?

Yes it is indeed.

As said before, this Tokyu 5050 series model is used for wathever line is depicted in this series, so it will also appear...

... as a Keihin-Touhoku Line E233-1000...

... Yamanote Line E231-500...

... a blue-colored train at Shibuya station underground platforms (standing in for a wrongly-colored Hanzomon Line train?) ...

(here you can also clearly see it has three doors per car instead of four)

... a Chuo-Sobu Line 209-500/E231-900/E231-0/E231-500...

(here you can see it has wrong diamond-shaped pantographs. They're also placed too far towards the center of the carriage)

... and even as a Ginza Line 1000 series.

The other train visible in this series is DeHa 50001 of the Tokyu 5000 series (the original one from 1954) wich was cut in half and it's now used as a tourist information office in Shibuya.

Altough here, it appears to be oo much squared (compared to the original one). It also has the wrong doors.

Jin-Roh ("The Wolf Brigade") - 1999

Right in the opening scene, the first rail vehicle to appear is this knackered, unidentified tram. Somebody knows more?

also in the opening scene, there is a derailed JNR 63 series EMU. A possible reference to the 1949 Mitaka Incident?

As the movie is set in the mid-50s to (actually) early-60s Tokyo, the most common rail vehicle seen is the Toden 6000 series:

unit 6103 on Route 1

unit 6291 (the last Toden 6000 series unit to be built) on non-existent route 43

unit 62XX and 7500 series unit 7515 on routes 25 and 5 respectively.

A JNR 101 series (1957) on the Chuo Line.

Bonus:

Toei Bus Isuzu BA 741 (1959)

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1

I haven't posted in this thread for a while... but this deserves it!

Only Yesterday (1991) - Studio Ghibli (written & directed by Isao Takahata)

(Note: The film is set in 1981, with childhood flashbacks to 1964)

The first train seen in this film (minutes after the opening credits) is a TRTA Marunouchi Line 500 Series

A brand-new (for 1964) 0 Series shinkansen makes a brief appearance, being used to travel to the hotsprings of Atami.

The main train fetaured in this film is the Akebono sleeper train, wich is used by the main character to go from Tokyo to Yamagata Prefecture.

Reversing into Platform 17 at Ueno Station

The train is composed of 24 Series coaches, with their iconic folding doors.

ED75 702 is seen hauling the Akebono.

The Akebono is later seen entering a station somewhere in Yamagata hauled by two EF71s

At Platform 5 somwere in Yamagata 

(neither Sakata nor Tsuruoka, the two stations in Yamagata Pref. where the Akebono stopped, have platform numbers higher than 3)

Towards the end of the film, an all-cream KiHa 22 on a "Down" local service pulls into Takase station on the Senzan Line

Entering Yamadera station, where the main character changes for a train going in the opposite direction.

Here we can see that the train is composed of 3 all-cream KiHa 22s
(KiHa 22s actually operated well after the Senzan Line's electrification and did sometimes operate in multiple, but i've never seen this all-cream liviery. Is it an error or it's actually correct?)

The "Up" train is a 3-car 455 Series set, in it's JNR dark red and cream colors (as said earlier, the film is set in 1981, so it's period-correct.)

Back to Takase with the 455

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been re-watching Girls und Panzer recently.  Just watched episode 7 tonight which had some good shots of the Kashima Rinkai's Series 6000 heading back to the Ôarai train station, where there is also a Nachan-go bus waiting at the station.

Screen cap of the interior shot of the Series 6000 scrolling down a bit here: http://operationrainfall.com/2012/12/07/girls-und-panzer-ep-7-up-next-is-anzio/

• Like 2
ATShinkansen

I wanted to share some books I stumbled upon (online) earlier this year.  Unfortunately, I can’t read them, but they really do go in depth on trains and train scenes in anime.  I’ve found the pictorial elements especially helpful, since this is the direction I want to take my layout.

B3272300-5818-40E9-B58A-DEF4C4E269A2.thumb.jpeg.e1c79659729c39696a54e75dc443382a.jpeg

• Like 2

Night on the Galactic Railroad a try. It is the most unknown anime I have watched, but I found it decent and the train plays a very important role there.

Also, Makoto Shinkai has a huge fascination with trains, so while his movies aren't specifically about them, there's extreme detail about trains and train stations in all his works

Edited by oliviaf
  • cteno4 pinned this topic

A 209-1000 can also be seen in the Persona 5 games near the Ichigaya fishing pond. Which is based on real life.

Another peculiar train related fact in this game is a conversation you overhear in Kichijoji, between two strangers about Chuo-Line commuter rapid service. I feel like you'd need to have been a Tokyo resident/commuter on the line to put a convo like this into a videogame, does one of you actually have an answer to their complaint? I thought it was very funny.

D38094ED-D5D7-4C9A-AB6C-31C28BE63760.jpeg

794C2C9D-916A-4BC6-B8E8-834ACD4C34DC.jpeg

55E3FCCB-F4D5-4CC4-AF72-D5730416F969.jpeg

5E21BCF3-1393-4DE1-87BC-8140A728289A.jpeg

Persona 4 had a 231-500 Yamanote, 183 series or similar (possibly Chuo Liner) and what looked like a couple of Kiha 40 or 47.

A lot of Japanese culture in these games. Was introduced to play by a friend, think it was £7 on the PS store a few years ago, and I was amazed and disappointed in equal measure, much like living in Japan. 😄

Edited by Kamome

it’s ok for sources that allow embedding specifically (they usually have specific embed code the forum software can grab for that) that either allow the rights holder a choice in allowing embedding or specifically require their users to allow embedding  like YouTube, Flickr, fb, tw, etc. 

jeff

• Like 1

Has anybody here seen Rail Romanesque (レヱル・ロマネスク), a short anime that takes place in a fictionalized portrayal of Hitoyoshi, Kumamoto?
While the actual locomotives themselves appear briefly at intervals and other points occasionally, the main characters are personified humanoid "Rail Lords" who are automaton "module drivers" or some such for their respective locomotives - and of course they are made to look like cutesy, adorable anime girls. Merchandising, you know!
I for one only care for it since it seems to be aimed at rail fan anime watchers, but there is almost no plot whatsoever...
If only because it shows many Hitoyoshi locales that I know and love personally (and many Rail Lord characters portray Japanese locomotives that interest me) do I give it any recommendation. See what you think. 

Edited by SL58654号

Rail Romanesque (at least season 1) was more a commercial for the VN than an actual show, but it also was a crowd funded production so that needed to be kept in mind. The author is a pretty informed guy, he was able to look at a photo I took about 20 years ago and told me exactly which sightseeing train it was so I can take it again when I visit next year.

• Like 1

The anime is a massively cut down version of the visual novel 'Maitetsu'. 

Nice to have confirmation that Ohitoyo is Histoyoshi.

Cute story, but pity the author felt he had to so radically alter railway history for the worse in order to make Western style volunteer based railway preservation possible in Japan.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Beaver said:

The anime is a massively cut down version of the visual novel 'Maitetsu'. 

Nice to have confirmation that Ohitoyo is Histoyoshi.

Cute story, but pity the author felt he had to so radically alter railway history for the worse in order to make Western style volunteer based railway preservation possible in Japan.

Yes, it is indeed Hitoyoshi, but I suppose they couldn't use the actual name. 

True that the real history is altered, but I didn't suppose that it was to allow a plot point of Western style volunteer railway preservation. 

https://www.bilibili.tv/en/video/4788765495006720
For those who care, here's the first episode of the Second season. But the subtitles are Indonesian (it was the only place where I could find anything from Season 2 so far).
All I can say is, it seems to be just about the Rail Lords talking about rail sound recordings and drinking coffee. But, meh, that's the slice of life genre for you...

It's always nice for me to see Hitoyoshi portrayed in anime, but I could write a more exciting plot! 

On 11/1/2023 at 1:38 PM, SL58654号 said:

It's always nice for me to see Hitoyoshi portrayed in anime, but I could write a more exciting plot! 

I found about this anime and thought to myself "Hey, why not watch it?" I put on the first episode of the first season and after roughly a minute I could already tell that it wouldn't be the most exciting...

Though after reading the MyAnimeList Page I stumbled upon the Steam page (haha, Steam, get it?). Once I got there though I was intrigued, as the Art seemed decent and, well, trains. Honestly though, I was absolutely dumbfounded when the reviews mentioned an +18 DLC?? Wasn't this supposed to be about trains???? 

Anyhow though, I personally would like a series dedicated to exploring the more technical aspects of trains, instead of trying to spin trains into something they aren't are. Trains intrigued me due them being sheer mechanical marvels of engineering, not because they are cute anime girls or have fun fantasy adventures (*cough* modern Thomas the Tank Engine *cough*).

Portraying things as they are or were is usually much more exciting than pretending their something else

Edited by SwallowAngel