JR Shikoku 8600 series hauled from KHI plant

bikkuri bahn

If you look closely you can see that actually two 2-car EMU's are being transported and that they are coupled together with their own Shibata couplers, skirts, etc.

• Like 1

I notice the motor cars (the ones without the pantographs), are fitted with wheel rim mount disc brakes, unusual for non-shinkansen JR emus.

Some pics from March of the two EMU's above now in their 'final state':

http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/archives/2014/03/post_435.html

http://ameblo.jp/henshukaigi/entry-11788833059.html

Look quite good.

I found this comparison of the JR Shikoku 8600 series with a Class 444 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nambu5102F/status/404885497626906624

They really look alike.

• Like 1

I notice the motor cars (the ones without the pantographs), are fitted with wheel rim mount disc brakes, unusual for non-shinkansen JR emus.

I also noticed two different types of disc brakes.  I am surprised as it must surely complicate maintenance.

Well, in three weeks I have seen this train about a half dozen times,, always just two cars, and always on a storage siding at JR Matsuyama, and usually blocked by a few crappy DMUs blocking my ability to get a good picture. The only time I had seen one actually moving, was the train arriving at Takamatsu while I was transferring from a a train originating in Tokushima, en route for Matsuyama. I would have loved to have poked my head in and take a peek.

Part of me wondered if they only had just the two cars as the train at Takamatsu was only a two car train.(I can see in the video it shows more than two) But, I'm guessing that they split the train at Sakaide with cars 1&2 bound for Okayama and 3&4 bound for Takamatsu.

8601 which had been sitting on track 4 at Matsuyama depot had just arrived at Takamatsu before my weird looking two-car 8000-sereies was getting ready to depart. Had my Japanesese been better and I wasn't already exhausted from 14 hours of working, I'd've flashed my press pass and letter from JR Shikoku to have popped inside for a look and maybe a ride back to Matsuyama.

post-56-0-66967200-1402372914_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shashinka

It doesn't have as much appeal as older JR Shikoku stock does have, but it looks pretty nice. The colour combination is also really good IMO.

Door release button ... ü

Disabled toilet ... ü

Baby change table with safety belt ... ü

Toddler seat ... ü

Wheelchair space in main cabin ... ü

General seat design ... O

Austin Powers Lime Green seat covers ... O

Yellow grab rails ... O

LEGOLAND yellow and grey exterior ... O

• Like 3

8 Oct 2015,the mass production cars of JR Shikoku 8600 series delivered from Kawasaki Heavy Industries to Takamatsu depot.

New-type cars

8700 : Green car (half of car) 

8800 : Trailer(without the motor-man's platform

Edited by ayokoi
  • Like 1

Has JR Shikoku talked about when will these production units actually enter revenue service between Takamatsu and Matsuyama?