Some questions regarding the Joban Line/Chiyoda Line

shiinamachi

Hi there! I'm a new user here, so I really don't have any idea on where to post this. >_<"

I'm planning to go on a trip to Japan soon (around early April or so) and I plan to catch certain train trips along the Chiyoda Line/Joban Line. I've been looking around so I think I roughly have a decent grasp of what to expect. However, there're still some questions that I can't seem to get any answers from.

Firstly, if say, I were to buy a ticket from Kanamachi to Oji (on Keihin-Tohoku), and my intended transfer route is via the Joban Local Line - Chiyoda Line through service to Nishi-Nippori, do I need to buy a special ticket for transferring? I'm not entirely sure on this, because both Kanamachi and Oji are managed by JR East, but the Tokyo Metro section of Nishi-Nippori is segregated by a gate from the JR East section. However, this trip can also be managed by taking the Joban Rapid from Matsudo or Kita-senju and then transferring at Nippori (albeit a longer transfer).

Secondly, I'm also wondering how does transferring from Joban Rapid to Joban Local work at Kita-senju? I've studied the layout of Kita-senju Station, and based on what I've found, the Joban Line platforms and the Chiyoda Line platforms (which becomes the local service after Ayase) are separated by a ticket gate. Is a special ticket also needed to pass through the gate, or does any ticket work (like say if I bought a ticket from Nippori and I intend to get off at Kameari, can I use this ticket to pass through the gate to the Chiyoda Line platforms at Kita-senju?)

For some context, I'm heading to the Joban Line/Chiyoda Line on a weekday morning to catch a train service which ends service at Meiji-jingu-mae Station, but at the same time, I'm also trying to get to Oji-Kamiya Station to catch another train service on the Namboku Line, which ends at Azabu-juban. The other goal is that I'm trying to catch them at the stations at which these services begin their trips, mostly for the announcements. I've figured out 1 route so far that allows me to do this (36S/37S departing Kashiwa at 0716, transfer to Keihin-Tohoku Line at Nishi-nippori, then get off at Oji and transfer to the Namboku Line and catch 58S, which begins service at Oji-Kamiya at 0818, bound for Azabu-juban). Of course, I'm not really sure how relevant is this, given that I planned this out from current schedules, and there is a schedule change for the Joban Local Line during mid-March.

I know this seems really complicated, but I'm hoping that someone more experienced might be able to answer my queries. If this was posted in the wrong place, can a mod help to move this to the correct place?

Thanks!

Edited by shiinamachi

I think 99% of your ticketing concerns can be resolved by just purchasing an IC fare card like Suica, just top it off with a decent amount of cash (say 3000 yen), and let it figure out the fares.

I'm sorry, I'm not familar with the Joban Line/Local services, hopefully somebody else is.

If you are familiar with those ticketing machine at the station, you will be able to purchase a ticket from Kanamachi to Oji (via Nishi-Nippori using Tokyo Metro).  This is very common route and ticketing machine can handle.  But the ticket fare will be expensive as Tokyo Metro fare will be added even with some discount is there.

Purchasing JR East only ticket is cheaper but you need to take following route.
Kanamachi -> Kita-senju (transfer to Joban line Ueno bound) -> Nippori and take Keihin Tohoku Line.

Regarding Kita-senju station, there will be no issue.  Yes, there was a ticketing gate between Chiyoda-line and Joban-line before but it doesn't exist anymore and nobody checkes ticket now.  So you can move within station freely and even can go to Tobu line platform.

But as Bikkuri-san says, just try to have IC-card ticket and it will solve everything....

If you are familiar with those ticketing machine at the station, you will be able to purchase a ticket from Kanamachi to Oji (via Nishi-Nippori using Tokyo Metro).  This is very common route and ticketing machine can handle.  But the ticket fare will be expensive as Tokyo Metro fare will be added even with some discount is there.

Purchasing JR East only ticket is cheaper but you need to take following route.

Kanamachi -> Kita-senju (transfer to Joban line Ueno bound) -> Nippori and take Keihin Tohoku Line.

Regarding Kita-senju station, there will be no issue.  Yes, there was a ticketing gate between Chiyoda-line and Joban-line before but it doesn't exist anymore and nobody checkes ticket now.  So you can move within station freely and even can go to Tobu line platform.

But as Bikkuri-san says, just try to have IC-card ticket and it will solve everything....

So in short there are 2 options:

1. More expensive ticket, which allows me to go via the faster route at Nishi-Nippori

or 2. A cheaper ticket, but I have to detour at Nippori instead?

Also, good to know about the Kita-senju thing. I haven't gone there before (haven't gone to Japan in ages!) and JR East/Tokyo Metro still shows that there is a gate between Chiyoda and Joban on their maps.

I'll consider purchasing a Suica, though I'm joyriding for 3 days and I expect to spend quite a fair bit for transport (the closest station to my hotel is Airport Terminal 2 >_>" the only way out is via Keisei/Hokuso and JR East). Also IDK about long-term usage for a Suica, since I don't know when will be the next time I visit Japan again after April.

Edited by shiinamachi

I've been using the same Suica card for four years now, and it was given to me by someone who's son had no need for it anymore after finishing his studies in Japan so I don't know how long he was using it before me.

Ah ok. Just wondering: Is there any other benefits to using Suica, such as a rebate in ticket prices or something? If a ticket for a certain trip costs 1000 yen for example, if I perform the same trip using Suica, am I similarly charged 1000 yen?

Here is the fare comparison...

1. Transfer at Nishi-Nippori via Tokyo Metro: 370 Yen

2. Transfer at Kita-Senju and Nippori: 290 Yen

Due to local sales tax going up from 5% to 8% on April, there will be a change in train fare and JR East and most of railway operator in Tokyo area will be implementing different fare table between SUICA/PASMO (or other IC card based) and ticketing machine (cash).

For example, current 290 Yen fare is actually 280 Yen not including tax.  But from April 1, it will be like below.

IC Card fare: 302 Yen
Cash: 300 Yen

Depends on rounding, IC card fare may become cheaper in some cases.

lurkingknight

suica makes it easy.. put money on the card and not have to worry about using the fare machine to calculate your route... sure you might have to pay a few yen more here and there due to the rounding, but unless you like using that ticket machine ( personally I did not care for it ), it will save you time to figure out where you're going or how you will get there.. just go through the gate and jump on a train.

And if you really wanted to, you can turn the card back in for a refund on the balance I think. The card deposit itself is what.. 500 yen?

Edited by lurkingknight