Ah, those boxes...

Nick_Burman

Hello all,

Now that I've created some storage cases for my trains, the question came up in my mind, what do I do with the boxes released by them? I've disposed of the boxes from my Kawaii/Poppondetta freight cars (being made out of cardboard they were pretty lousy anyway), but I'm unsure what to do with my Kato or Tomix boxes.

What do you guys do for storage of trains which don't already come in storage cases (e.g. freight cars)? Do you keep them in their original boxes? If not, what do you do to the boxes?

Cheers NB

I wouldn't throw away any boxes, especially if you might plan to sell the cars later. If you do want to throw the boxes away, at least try selling them, someone might buy them.

Personally i try to keep everything in their original boxes and use bigger boxes to store the train sets. If i don't have a box (because a previous owner throw it away) or it was a kit and didn't come with a normal storage box (like shorties), then i try to get a fitting box, usually something along the lines of clear acrylic with an insert. (from another manufacturer that is available) Also i like collection boxes that can store the individual clear plastic boxes, but it's not something that is readily available, but smaller aluminium briefcases are very good for this purpose and many of them are also lightly padded, so the boxes don't get damaged either.

worse yet what do you do with all those foam inserts popped out of your boxes when you have added more cars from addons and also from your casco boxes as you add trains! i have a big box full and just dont have the heart to toss them!

I also tend to hold onto boxes as later if you sell them its a good way to keep their value up if you do have the original box. but this does take up room...

jeff

worse yet what do you do with all those foam inserts popped out of your boxes when you have added more cars from addons and also from your casco boxes as you add trains!

Mine I stored them in a bag, and just as well as I needed some when I reorganized the content of one of the boxes to accommodate new equipment.

Cheers NB

Krackel Hopper

worse yet what do you do with all those foam inserts popped out of your boxes when you have added more cars from addons and also from your casco boxes as you add trains! i have a big box full and just dont have the heart to toss them!

I know what you mean, I've got 4 cardboard HS boxes full of these.. I actually started to use them as packing material when I was putting some stuff on eBay. That got rid of a few, but I seem to be acquiring them faster than I can rid myself of them.

I ordered some Casco inserts and a couple of Kato Cases and did some organizing.  This is another thing I love about Japanese Trains and Brands as they come in these wonderful Book style cases and also available separately.  Although 2 Car sets always come in jewel boxes and most other N Scale Brands.  

Got all my Kiha's organized - Kato Kiha's in Kato cases and the Tomix Kiha's in Casco Cases, actually there's one Micro Ace in the mix.

post-2776-0-69010200-1480830211_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-05864200-1480830215_thumb.jpg

Got some 8 Car Casco inserts that fit into Kato Cases for my Minitrix Passenger Cars.

post-2776-0-50506100-1480830204_thumb.jpg

Got a box full of foam inserts - gonna try to sell them again on April 1. :)

post-2776-0-05879800-1480830208_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I usually store my trains nowadays in 12-car inserts (three 4-car formations combined). It saves so much space and the leftovers cam be used to fill empty space in the terrain of the layout. It weighs practically nothing anyway, plus are quite sturdy.

• Like 1