E353: JR East's E351 replacement?

Davo Dentetsu

Davo Dentetsu

I'm thinking he had a bet on Tiger Woods winning the US Open this year and... yeah.  Golf ball hate.

bikkuri bahn
I am wondering more and more if the new E353 EMU will use an air spring-based tilting mechanism like it's done on the JR West 287 Series.

earlier in the thread:

, some things to note looking at the specs:

-air cushion tilt rather than mechanical tilt used on the E351

-active (full or semi, not specified) suspension on lead cars and green cars

bikkuri bahn

Checked the Aug. issue of Tetsudo DJ now on magazine stands, and confirmed the running times of the delivery of the e353 trainset to Matsumoto. As follows:

July 25 (Sat.)

Zushi 13:44  Ofuna 13:58   Sakuragicho 14:25   Shin Tsurumi 14:58   Shin Tsurumi(dep)18:19  Tachikawa 18:59-19:01  Shiojiri Daimon 23:41-23:50  Matsumoto 0:07

Forumers in the Kanto area may want to check it out.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Apparently another e353 trainset was spotted Monday on the sidings adjacent to the Keikyu Main Line.  No pics.  Other trainset said to be located on the mountain side of the plant.  Face(?) of the trainset said to be different from before.  Blogger is deliberately vague. 

Will there be a in-plant debut to media before the move to Matsumoto Saturday?

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/e1234567w7/33585853.html

It is a rendering on a non official blog. I would look too much into it.

When the isn't much info coming out.  Those whom require their 15 minutes of fame start releasing vague blog posts and renderings.

Recently Mazda released a new MX-5.  The amount of bogus insider information and supposed renderings that pretailed the official Mazda info was huge.

Except for the electrics and cab sections, are the limited-express types since the E655 basically the same?  This is a lot more E259ish than I expected.

Front and rear ends wise they do look amazingly similar to E259... But the colour is kinda cool with white body base colour and a nice blue as its roof... Suffered the same black face as the E259 though...

Side windows are edged, which looks kinda cool... The E353 logo is kinda nice screaming futuristic design... No logo of Super Azusa like the E351 though... And the hideous diaphragm between the 8th and 9th car looks horribly far apart....

So for me it looks like the new trains look like the door end of a E351, but a bit more longer and differently rounded cab and a new paint. Apart the use of way too much black on the front they look ok. Since we only see end cars with door, does this mean the new sets have doors on both ends? (seems logical, since it's easier to attach two sets if you can connect them anywhere)

Edited by kvp

Am I the only one who isn't really amazed by it? The rendering looked quite cool, but the real one is disappointing. It looks like a standard JR East ltd. express EMU with a random cab designed by someone else placed on front. Only the front looks futuristic and the rest of the train is just boring. The enormous air conditioning units also don't help its visual appearance. Maybe I'll have to see it running alone with front lights on to give a final opinion.

Actually I think it looks better than the artist's renderings :). Seems like it should be the 261 rather than 353. I guess that'll be Super Odoriko replacement.

After seeing them on the videos, i think that apart from the black paint and the headlight arrangment, this is a fairly straight industrial design. They wanted the front doors to be relatively flat and square and rounded the front from the standard wide cross section shape down to the square door fames. The cab windows are just following the shape of this rounding. If the front of the cab car would follow the purple line, then it would be a fairly standard modern european streamlined low cab front, but the door frames raise this out to almost flat. This extra area was painted black.

ps: i still think they would look better without all that black on the front

Pedestrian.

The colour scheme is dated.

The air con on Kumoha E353-1 has a dent that is obvious on several different videos.

I do not like the thin black horizontal line between windows.

I question whether the lights are functional in that configuration.

I will probably buy one as I own all things Chuo Main Line west of Takao.