Shinkansen DCC Interior lighting with Flicker-Free feature

Costas

Hello Mr mrp,

What software are you using to design your PCB?

Hello E6系,

I’m using DesignSpark PCB.  It’s a free download from RS Components.

I find the interface very easy to use.  There are lots of component libraries available for download.  And I’ve never had any problems plotting Gerber files for production.  I’ve used it to send files to Seeed Studios, OshPark, and Wara Microcircuit (my local PCB fabricator).

When I first started looking into making prototype PCBs about six months ago I initially tried to use Eagle (since everyone else seems to use it), but I just couldn’t make sense of the user interface.  DesignSpark PCB is maybe not as widely known - but it’s worked well for me.

I also use their free sister product - DesignSparc Mechanical - to produce the DXF files for ShapeWays 3D printing.

I'll check it out! Actually i've been using eagle for serious work and expresspcb for raster board designs. Eagle is good, since it forces you to follow a set of strict rules which makes it hard to mess up. That also makes working with it very hard.

Edit: It doesn't run on my computer and somehow managed to break the eagle install too... ???

Edited by kvp

I'll check it out! Actually i've been using eagle for serious work and expresspcb for raster board designs. Eagle is good, since it forces you to follow a set of strict rules which makes it hard to mess up. That also makes working with it very hard.

Edit: It doesn't run on my computer and somehow managed to break the eagle install too... ???

Ouch.  Sorry about that.  I wouldn’t have recommended it if I knew it would do that.  Or at least, I would have added a warning.

I’m using a Mac, so I installed the Mac version of Eagle.  But DesignSpark is Windows-only, so I’m having to run it in a Parallels Windows7 VM.  I guess it means that on my system there’s no way for the two to interfere with each other.

I used costas system up until now to light up my trains

I have now ordered all the required material for thid new system, the most expensive piece were the 0.5mm (24awg) brass rod and the high powered led,

I have bought normal power ones so I expect to use one more than the 6 reccomended 

I have currently a serie 500 shinkansen and the kato twilight express (will be released in January) to light up so I can eperiment with two different carriage types

Because they take the biggest space I have bought 3 types of cap to test

100uF 25V tantalum, 220uF 25V electro, 220uF 25V aluminium smd

I'll update this topic once I receive the material from China and will start assembly it

I'm back,

I have not forgot this thread, but I have been out of time and not in the right mood to try it until now

I have designed a PCB to host all the SMD components without capacitor and leds and it works

post-2159-0-80675300-1450223827_thumb.jpg

I have then created a test bed of leds (like the one in the video) with brass rods, and I have found that is difficoult to solder the SMD leds to the bar without melting them I have killed 2 of the leds in the learning process

I have tested the leds with 2.6 mA of current and I was not satisfied with the light I'll probably push the current up a bit

Then the last test will be to try to insert them in a Shinkansen serie 500 car and see the result, I'll post here the result once done

Work complete, the test car has been lighted with the new system

I have used a Shinkansen serie 500 car to test the new system and here the result

Pcb assembled

post-2159-0-40966400-1451750784_thumb.jpg

Led strip assembled

post-2159-0-05991700-1451750816_thumb.jpg

Testing led position

post-2159-0-03501700-1451750846_thumb.jpg

Pcb and capacitor position in the udercarriage

post-2159-0-32784100-1451750870_thumb.jpg

Final test before closure

post-2159-0-14667700-1451750903_thumb.jpg

Foto paper added to the roof for light diffusion

post-2159-0-15641000-1451750929_thumb.jpg

Final result

post-2159-0-95581300-1451750943_thumb.jpg

I'm satisfied by the result it looks nice, but space could be an issue with shorter cars where undercarriage space is not available

Light uniformity is not perfect, but this is the first car I do so I'm unsure if this is due to lack of space between the leds and the the reflecting ceiling or due to my poor skills

Edited by Melandir
  • Like 3

Melandir,

Great work! looks great. i got stalled on this project as well, hope to get back at it here. now shifting a little with my first CL tomix controller...

jeff

Light uniformity is not perfect, but this is the first car I do so I'm unsure if this is due to lack of space between the leds and the the reflecting ceiling or due to my poor skills

I think it might have to do something with slighly unmatched leds mounted slightly not level.

For comparison purpose I'll add here a pic of an 800 serie shinkansen car were the light is done using a standard led strip

the type of light is different (one cold and one warm) but I feel that the serie 500 car looks lightly better with the new system

post-2159-0-21348000-1451833235_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Did you try using reflective foil tape to reflect the light?

I'll test it in one of the next car I'll do, at the moment I have used glossy photo paper and the result looks good

Hmm I wonder there is a paper I saw in the craft store the other day that was white and had like fine glass glued to it. The reason I noticed it was that it practically shined compared to the white next to it. I guess the sparkles diffused the light just enough as you moved it made it seem brighter to the eye.

Will be fun to experiment with various reflectors to see what they do with the quality and dispersal of the light. Goal like the video noted was to get the light diffused well to get rid of the led point sources.

Jeff