Sheds and trees

I am considering getting a shed later just to add some spice to my loop of track. Anyway, I have 2 engine sheds that would work with what I have, those being the Tomix shed and the Kato shed.

My questions start at:

The insides of both of those look a bit spaced out, as in it doesn't look like standard spaced track will fit and will need some work to make them fit. I am wondering if anyone owns either of those and could tell me or show me how exactly they lead tracks into them at a correct spacing from each other.

Also, I am wondering if there are any single track modern sheds available? I can find a single shed on 1999.co but it's older styled and wooden when my trains are all modern and would look a bit silly.

And my second main issue is with trees. I am wondering how exactly people make a layout with static trees but without leaves faling off all over the place. Maybe a spray bottle with some watered down glue or something? But I am not sure so asking would be a good idea.

Thanks.

The tomix shed has standard 37 mm tomix spacing. The kato one (according to the documentaion i found) can be built with 33 and 49.5 (33 x 1.5) track spacing. Since Kato has a 1.5 spacing adapter track for station platforms, this seems logical. Most single track modern sheds i've seen in all scales were kits that can be built either way. They don't really build them single track in reality, so not much point in modelling them.

the kato modern shed has boths front and back parts supplied to have the 33mm or 49.5mm spacing.  it is for if you are using a R481 curves with #4 turnout or R718 curves with #6 turnout.  the shed itself is only 186mm long, so sometimes 2 or 3 will need to be lined up back to back to get the desired result.

Edited by katoftw

Greenmax also has a shed, but like with any other it's double track. It says the track spacing is 30mm, which seems strange to me considering neither Tomix or Kato use this spacing, do they?

Alright, fantastic. I know what I need now, thanks people.

So now I am wondering about the trees, how would you keep the leaves detaching and making a mess if you needed to shift a layout around?

The kato sheds have a nice bit of interior detail you can also do up more if you want. They do gang up very well to make a long shed.

For trees the common way to fix ground foam and such is with hair spray. Does to the foliage just what it does to a big hairdo! Also givea a bit of a matte touch.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

I was leaning more towards the Kato shed as I like how it looks, but I figured the Tomix shed would look better with a bit of weathering done to it. But if that uses Tomix spacing all my track is Kato and I don't really want to buy track I don't need for it by accident because I can't figure it out.

And hairspray is a neat idea. Would that dry eventually though and flake off the leaves or something?

keikyu,

Kato is pretty bright green on the roof. could easily repaint that to a different color or dull it then weather the whole thing a little. the whole thing is a no glue model, all assembles like a puzzle and then some little locking pins in the roof (hidden by vents). at times they have been on sale cheap for some reason here in the states.

the hair spray is actually pretty tough stuff. its been used for decades for this purpose. get the extra strength stuff. dollar store is good for this! folks also use it to attach the ground foam in the first place. spray your branch armature and then sprinkle with your foam and let set. then spray again to fill in if needed and then final coat to seal it up.

check youtube and you will find a whole spectrum of making trees!

cheers

jeff

Awesome, thanks. I will be sure to keep the leaves that do wall off, spreading them a round might give a neat effect. I was just worried because if I did end up making something it'd have to be very portable.

folks use this kind of tree all the time on ttrak and ntrak modules that get moved around all the time. 

yeah ground debris can be one of the best scenery visual cues to the mind's eye filling in a very detailed mental picture for you if done right. needs to be subtle.

i had always loved what curt did with his ttrak modules he was fiddling with. he was doing some very fast scenery just playing around and did dis some leaf litter

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/_ttrak-curt/pages/page_9.html

after he took the pictures he realized it was way too huge, but from 3' away you could really see it and just set that fall feeling up better than the tree color did with the guy there with the broom!

jeff

Always a toss up doing details like this at scale. The n scale the leaves would be less than 1mm and you would not see them at 2-3 ft or more, so pumping them up helps for normal viewing. But then if you go in close with a camera they look huge. Always a trade off!

Same things with most road lines. If you do them to scale from 3ft they look way to thin as you barely see them, but up close with a camera they are great. This is because we see road lines most of the time pretty up close in the car or from the roadside, we usually don't look at them from 300+ feet so that view ( the usual scale viewing distance on a layout) is not what is in our minds eye.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4