A source for ARU Models!

cteno4

Ive been eyeing the ARU N scale kits for a long time but never found a decent source for them. Modeltrainsplus.net just announced they are going to be carrying them soon! 

they have a great selection of odd trams and mow that are simple brass folding kits, many built to use the kato pocket mechs. 

http://homepage3.nifty.com/arumo/aru9.htm

also a lot of narrow gauge stuff as well!

http://homepage3.nifty.com/arumo/index.htm

prices for these kits seem pretty reasonable, so great to give doing an etched brass kit a whirl without spending $200 on a world craft kit (although not at all as detailed as the world craft kits). Looks like nice little kits to start on.

will be interesting to see what nariichi can get ahold of.

cheers

jeff

Wow, should have tried that years ago! I'm just use to all the small japanese shops and suppliers not wanting to do anything overseas. just goes to show, never hurts to try!

will be nice to have an exporter where you can buy other bits on an order as well.

jeff

I have bought direct from Aru. Got a reply in English and paid via paypal. Items arrived via DHL. All quite painless and efficient.

Aw shucks...could have saved much fuss...

Cheers NB

Martijn Meerts

They have some lovely models. Detail wise they're not up to the World Kougei standard as Jeff said, but then again, World Kougei kits are expensive.

Looks to me the ARU kits do require a bit of soldering as well, although not as much as World Kougei, so it'd likely be a good (and mainly cheaper :)) alternative to experimenting with World Kougei kits.

• Like 1
Looks to me the ARU kits do require a bit of soldering as well

Not true - mine have been assembled with CA glue reinforced with Araldite. Works just as well. The kits are designed to be assembled without solder.

Cheers NB

Martijn Meerts

Some kits seem to not need either soldering or even glue (apart from the little detail bits).. 

I do believe that some kits would benefit from soldering though. Even if glue works (you could theoretically glue the World Kougei kits as well), it's just not as sturdy as soldering.

Im just looking forward to them as they seem very affordable, unique and a great way to also experiment with some kitbashing rather inexpensively. I can see doing some soldering on the main joints to get things nice and strong and glue for the rest. I love the world craft stuff but the price is just too much for me to want to spend on those kits.

im wondering at some point if they will do 3D printing for the detail bits as well as their cast bits. something i keep thinking Sankei will do as add on detail sets to their chipboard structure kits.

anyhow looking forward to them!

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

I think 3D printing at high enough resolution for N-scale is still a bit too expensive, but it's definitely getting somewhere.

A lot of the detail bits seem to be white metal (World Kougei has a lot of white metal bits as well), which is cheap to do. It's also very difficult to solder white metal without melting it, so I've been using epoxy for those.

I'll most likely get a few to check them out myself :)

for the detail bits its pretty cheap as you are charged based on volume of plastic. i would expect it to be close to white metal now. these only need be the little rounder bits to stick off to help give more shape.

jeff