Kato Crossing Gate S first impressions

NEX-989

Its finally here
and apart from the drap green Box everything looks amazing :)

post-1181-0-65407700-1389110812_thumb.jpg

But right after the unboxing people from Europe will be dissapointed that Kato gives you a switching power supply which is capable handling 240V and has an exchangeable Plug but doesnt include the european Plug :icon_scratch:

So you will either end up finding that thing somewhere online or end up doing what i did

Which is solder the Plug from the stock power suplly that connects to the Crossing Gate to a USB Cable which gives you the advantage to use any USB Port or modern Cell Phone Charger to power up the Crossing Gate :angel5:

post-1181-0-51763100-1389104554_thumb.jpg

The next thing i personaly didnt liked was the fact that the sensor tracks dont match the look of Katos modern douple track

But you can easily fit the sensors into any 62mm Track (drill and hand file required)

post-1181-0-47479100-1389105875_thumb.jpg

post-1181-0-01279300-1389105207_thumb.jpg

Looks way better now :)

post-1181-0-40926000-1389106716_thumb.jpg

post-1181-0-58156100-1389107438_thumb.jpg

Running Trains is much more fun now :)

But the fun can stop at the first disassembly!

The sensor cables are connected with small Plugs that can be hard to unplug but you should NEVER even think about pulling on the Cables!!!

Trust me :mumum:

You dont have to solder or to strip a Wire but its really tricky to fix it because of the size (cramp alert)

But still

i think this sweety is worth every YEN :love4:

post-1181-0-84949000-1389110062_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Darren Jeffries

Interesting. So how long are the sensor cables? I am wondering how far away from the crossing you could feasibly have the activation sensor.

Interesting. So how long are the sensor cables? I am wondering how far away from the crossing you could feasibly have the activation sensor.

you can get cable extensions.

May be will produce an european/american level crossing, for right hand road circulation?

look at it though a mirror. haha

• Like 1
May be will produce an european/american level crossing, for right hand road circulation?

As they have been out for about two years now I wouldn't hold my breath.

One thing I found out from taking my Urasai Fumikiri T-TRAK modules to shows is that the infrared sensors do not work if there is too much direct sunlight.

What do you think about the two types of train sensors? Tomix uses treadle type sensors while kato opted for the optical sensing. The kato version is contactless but for me seem less reliable (strong infrared radiation from any source could blind the sensors), while i don't really know how reliable the tomix version is on the long run, mainly the mechanical component (the contact plate).

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadle_(railway))

Very interesting! I didn't know the difference between Kato (infrared) and Tomix (treadle, TSC) sensors. The Kato crossing definitely looks the better part than the Tomix one! Tomix has ugly visible circuits boards on the back (from what I gather seeing the thing at shows and in shops), but the Kato one has massive warning signs on the other hand...

I should polish up my basic simple electronics again and try to do something with TCS sensors. It would be fun to make maybe a little something to connect TCS sensors and rail connectors via a module to a computer and maybe try some automating thing.

Nice NEX-989 ~~

I've always thought of getting the Automatic Gate Crossing, as my ground level tracks are Kato. Do the crossing wires connect directly to the power mains, or do they go through the Kato power pack? Love the sound of the crossing! A video would be great to watch~ 

Nice NEX-989 ~~

I've always thought of getting the Automatic Gate Crossing, as my ground level tracks are Kato. Do the crossing wires connect directly to the power mains, or do they go through the Kato power pack? Love the sound of the crossing! A video would be great to watch~ 

ill try to make a video

but right now i only have this informative Link

As they have been out for about two years now I wouldn't hold my breath.

One thing I found out from taking my Urasai Fumikiri T-TRAK modules to shows is that the infrared sensors do not work if there is too much direct sunlight.

that COULD explain why the sensor didnt noticed my 500 Shinkansen

but usualy we dont run our trains outdoor

sooooo...........

Edited by NEX-989

that COULD explain why the sensor didnt noticed my 500 Shinkansen

but usualy we dont run our trains outdoor

The sensors are optical, specifically reflective infrared. They need a reflective surface to work. If a train has a matt black or shiny angled underside, then it is possible that the sensors will miss it, but usually there is enough relfective surface on a train to detect it. Unless the ceiling above relfects too much infrared and blinds the sensor with its own beam or contains halogen or other lights with high infrared content. Relfection from one sensor to another is also a possible source of problems. Not to mention having something static (like a catenary mast or a tree) above the sensors within detection distance or some dust covering the emitter and/or the detector.

I also noticed that in the video the gates are closing at the same time, while in reality the entry gates close first then the exit gates. Afaik the latest tomix version works that way too.

Is it possible to change the speed of the gate going up and down? On the attached video it seems to me too fast.

(It would be great to have one set, but I think my wife would go mad if she has to hear for half an hour its sound. But without the sound it not the same fun. :) )

• Like 1
What do you think about the two types of train sensors? Tomix uses treadle type sensors while kato opted for the optical sensing. The kato version is contactless but for me seem less reliable (strong infrared radiation from any source could blind the sensors), while i don't really know how reliable the tomix version is on the long run, mainly the mechanical component (the contact plate).

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadle_(railway))

The Tomix sensors won't work with DCC, otherwise I'd have waited for their crossing as it has more features than the Kato one.

Edited by westfalen

I've often posted my frustration on U.S. forums that despite the level crossing, or grade crossing as they call them, being the most common item on the U.S. railroads after the tracks and trains themselves no manufacturer makes a working model of one.

The Tomix sensors won't work with DCC, otherwise I'd have waited for their crossing as it has more features than the Kato one.

Actually if you only need a single direction operation then it's possible to disconnect one of the lines in each sensor. This works with single track single direction and double track, dedicated direction running. Of course for dcc the best solution would be to use track occupancy detection and an edge detect circuit with optocoupler output, so one of the lines gets pulled for a few msec on block occupancy change. The gate itself doesn't need any modifications.

If you are brave enough to open the gates, then you can crosswire the motors in each gate, so the order of gate closing is reversed and then the road needs a right hand sticker and you got a right hand crossing. It is even possible to add two small 4 pole microswitches to switch between right and left hand operation.

ps: I would also paint the green tomix pcb-s black with a nonconductive plastic paint. Kato's solution looks much better.

As for the kato gates, imho they close at the same time so it's easier to modify them for right hand operation.