Auction Madness...

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

I noticed jjjjjj-world-store on ebay was selling the same tomytec figures that i bought for jpy 260 at tamtam for $18.99 plus postage. Honestly, anybody who buys anything from them deserves a kick in the rump.

Kato e1 had a cranky coupling system for its big size (similar to 500, 700). I think the kato came out before the tomix.

Jeff

Hello Mr Jeff and Mr JR500,

The problem with the Kato E1系 is that it was not prototypically correct.  They are often available on Yahoo.

Tomix did two releases of E1系.  First was 92059+92060+2843+2844+2845+2847 (or 2840 if you want second motor car instead of 2847 trailer).  Second was 92212+92213+92060+2851+2847(2840).  I have both sets.  First run of 92059 has a commemorative gold seal.  With original packaging and brochure in excellent condition both sets are quite valuable and having the commemorative seal seems to make little difference.

Speaking of auction madness, what are Microace Mallets going for these days?

I have two and someone in my model railway club desperately wishes to buy one or both.

I've never seen them on Ebay so I'd love to know.

Thanks.

The MicroAce 9800 series is quite rare and, consequently, valuable.  If I had a pair I would find it difficult to part with them at all.  One sold on Ebay in December 2013 for over £140.  I believe this is a right price for a good second-hand item.  Both are available brand new from Newhallstation for USD $360 (A0651) and $400 (A0652).  However, I believe Newhallstation has the items overpriced by around 30%, despite being new.  If your two are in immaculate condition, including packaging, then  $250 (A0651) and $280 (A0652) would be appropriate, in my opinion.

too many zeros on the end.  agreed it is high priced.

Yepp. I really appreciate everybody's work and it could be lots of hours to do this, but still it is overpriced.

EEerrr guys...

Guess the final selling price of the item?

You'll never imagine!

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r117632702

My jaw dropped! SERIOUSLY!

Here's the actual train video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfl5Z-rjSYM

It's nice really, and the model is really well done.

But I still can't fathom how much it costs!

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Some folks have the money to buy what they desire! Good the chap made some decent money for his hard work! Guess bragging right to have a one off are worth it to them, that is until microace or greenmax comes out with it later!

Wonder if the train company will want a licensing cut?!

Jeff

Hello,

There must surely be 200 hours in that project.  My guess is 20 hours per car, including research, planning, masking, etc.

So, I am not surprised at the price.

yes most dont realize the time it takes to do something like this at good quality. plus you also must have the skills and talent to do this level of work to boot which takes a lot of time to perfect. so unless someone is doing it as a gift it time it really is like getting a custom craftsperson to do the work -- taint cheap.

jeff

Yes recognise the effort and skills that went into the project, and together with the time spent, but still.. It's like say base core model of the GreenMax model that he used is around 16,000yen, add in tools, paints etc. around 30000yen, then add in time, say 100,000yen? It still went up around 370% to the final sale price...   

So you are giving the craftsman 500 yen per hour? At this price figuring 200 hrs then he made about 2100 yen per hour, not a huge killing!

But I expect someone doing this a lot could do it for fewer hours, especially if they made more, but more coming on the market will drive the exclusivity and thus price down.

Cheers

Jeff

Guest keio6000

Seeing the results of that Tokyu auction, I really really regret not getting the Keio 'service' set that I saw maybe a year or so ago.  It went for just over 20,000 jpy.  at the time, i thought this was crazy.   Looking back, for such handmade work, I should have bid as when else would I have such a chance.