World of Warcraft

Martijn Meerts

Used to, a long time ago, when it was still somewhat challenging (vanilla WoW and a bit of burning crusade, went pretty much downhill after that) .. I do play Final Fantasy XIV and a bit of The Secret World when it comes to MMOs though.

the_weird_one

Tried WoW didn't like it no matter how many hours I poured into it.

My MMO of choice is Guild Wars / Guild Wars 2, though looking like I'll soon get myself a FFXIV account now that homes are back.

Martijn Meerts

You mean the housing in FFXIV? That's only for guilds/free companies for the moment, and incredibly expensive. Personal housing is still about half a year off.

Thanks all. At the moment I'm off WoW because of computer trouble (video card). I'm waiting for a new computer to arrive so I can resume gaming. I particularly took a liking to it but now that you guys bought up other game titles I'll give them a go as soon as my cybertroubles are over.

Had anyone said "yes" to my question I would have invited to form a dungeon group...

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman
Had anyone said "yes" to my question I would have invited to form a dungeon group...

oooh i could see a great japanese train clan forming with samurai armor, 103 clubs and shinkansen swords and maybe a 500 pike! ;-p

have fun!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

I tried WoW again a while ago, played a Panda monk for a bit, which was actually rather fun. I didn't know anyone else who played though. When I tried logging in again a little later, I found that the security token app I was using was out of sync with my account, so I couldn't get back on anymore (I didn't reinstall the app or anything, it just stopped working)

If you're into horror/thriller/mythology stuff, you should maybe give The Secret World a try. Its setting is based on the real world, but all the myths and legends are true. There are 3 major area's. The first one heavily inspired by Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe, HP Lovecraft and the likes. The 2nd one is Egypt with plenty mummies, tombs and curses. The 3rd one is Transylvania, which is filled with vampires and werewolves. When you start a new character you can join a secret society, and the story changes based on what you pick (Templar, Illuminati or Dragon) It's a relatively difficult game, with active combat like Guildwars 2. The modern day setting isn't for everyone though =)

I think I can actually invite people to play, which gives them access to the game for 72 hours (including downloading the client I guess)

• Like 1

Many years ago (11 actually) i played neocron. It was an MMOFPSRPG, so an MMO game with FPS controls and combat in a persistent world. Very accurate physics (including ballistics, modifiable environment, correct vehicle suspension simulation) with a persistent environment (especially good with player and clan apartements and clan factories) so you could furnish your house(s) and everything stayed in the locker or on a desk where you put it. Pretty nice story too in a world similar to shadowrun/blade runner. It's popularity was somewhat small, caused by the lack of broadband back then and the 18+ tag on the game world caused by the level of violence and the usual huge number of unarmed civilan npc-s caught in most fights. I pretty much liked the construction system, because every item in game was craftable (from weapons, to vehicles and even foods). The combat and equipment system was made realistic, so everyone dropped the equipment they were using, including players, so robberies were common and there were no distinction between npc and player equipment as there were no distinct classes, just the ones built by the players themselves. Also the game world was 7/24, so most clans had to maintain a 7/24 presence to guard their assets. Actually i was playing a bit too much even by my standards, so i decided to quit and do something more connected to the physical world, like a bit of railroad modelling.

I tried WoW again a while ago, played a Panda monk for a bit, which was actually rather fun. I didn't know anyone else who played though. When I tried logging in again a little later, I found that the security token app I was using was out of sync with my account, so I couldn't get back on anymore (I didn't reinstall the app or anything, it just stopped working)

If you're into horror/thriller/mythology stuff, you should maybe give The Secret World a try. Its setting is based on the real world, but all the myths and legends are true. There are 3 major area's. The first one heavily inspired by Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe, HP Lovecraft and the likes. The 2nd one is Egypt with plenty mummies, tombs and curses. The 3rd one is Transylvania, which is filled with vampires and werewolves. When you start a new character you can join a secret society, and the story changes based on what you pick (Templar, Illuminati or Dragon) It's a relatively difficult game, with active combat like Guildwars 2. The modern day setting isn't for everyone though =)

I think I can actually invite people to play, which gives them access to the game for 72 hours (including downloading the client I guess)

Martijn,

One of the things I like in WoW are the geographical dimensions of the game - the travelling (preferably aboard a mount...), the exploration and the discovery. Possibly because I like to travel in the real world. I play a Night Elf Hunter (presently stuck out in the cold and rain away from an inn somewhere in Ashenvale... :( :angry:); I find it very cool, what with having a hunter pet (cat) at my disposal to help dispatch enemies while I deal damage from a (respectable) distance. I want to try RP a Worgen (for the uninitiated, kind of a werewolf except that it has control over its changing abilities) and a Pandaren. And when I reach level 55 I intend to try my hands at a Death Knight (it will probably be a Worgen). Just pray that the computer I ordered will work (I chose the machine based on Blizzard's recommendations) and not have any other blankety-blank incompatibility to spoil everthing...

Thanks for the offer but I'll have to keep it on hold. If I can't run WoW on the present machine, I doubt I'll be able to run Secret World.

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman
Martijn Meerts

The intro quest of the Worgen is actually really nice, although some bits were a little overwhelming and very bugged when I tried it. The account with my Panda on it was actually a 2nd account. The first one was when I played at release. It has a 70 or something priest on it, but I can't access it anymore either. For some reason Blizzard doesn't like me it seems, and they keep messing up my account ;)

Any new machine should be able to run WoW really, so I'm fairly certain your new machine is fine. Secret World is quite heavy on the graphics, so pretty sure that if WoW doesn't run, Secret World will have issues as well. When you get the new machine and want to try though, just send me a PM here with your email address, and I can send you an invite.

Used to play Wow with my wife from beginning up to WOTLK, then my daughter was born and she took a lot of my time away so I had to leave it

Well, the new computer is in. Seems to work OK - I downloaded a RPG game called Drakensang Online, in the old computer it used to run rather badly but in this one it is running fine. The acid test will be running WoW - that is, as soon as I can get a subscription as my free time is over. However Blizzard has run into a snag with Brazilian banks which means that CC payments are frozen...that meant that I had to pay through Blizzard's own payment service with a bank invoice. OK so far except that it will take until the end of the week to get the account unfrozen.

Cheers NB

Ah WoW... I have seen it destroy the studying career of a few and even destroy friendships. It requires self control. xD

In my case it gave me an urge to try (or rather, retry, as I had done a stint some 15 years ago) Archery... ;) :D

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman
Martijn Meerts
Ah WoW... I have seen it destroy the studying career of a few and even destroy friendships. It requires self control. xD

I've been playing MMOs since Everquest, which was also called Evercrack ;)  There've been many stories about people playing that without eating or sleeping that in the end they ended up seeing monsters in the streets... I've seen marriages go to hell, but I've also seen people meeting in-game and getting married. In fact, there've been far more nice stories than bad ones, but only the bad ones make the news of course.

In my case it gave me an urge to try (or rather, retry, as I had done a stint some 15 years ago) Archery... ;) :D

Cheers NB

Hmm.. I actively try and avoid archery classes in games because I've done quite a bit of it in real life. It just never feels right in a game =) Of course, I'm doing traditional Japanese archery, none of that modern stuff with a bow that practically aims and shoots all by itself ;)

Hmm.. I actively try and avoid archery classes in games because I've done quite a bit of it in real life. It just never feels right in a game =) Of course, I'm doing traditional Japanese archery, none of that modern stuff with a bow that practically aims and shoots all by itself ;)

Martijn,

I'm talking about real world archery here, although I have to find a way to imitate the "fireworks" present in RPG archery... :D Having done 4 years of Olympic-style Air Rifle, Olympic Archery and "gadgeted" bows are not in my menu, it would be trading six for half-a-dozen. I'm heading towards Field archery, using either recurves, longbows or Mongolian bows, shot instinctively. As one archer here said, "two sticks and a string".

Cheers NB

Martijn Meerts

I'm talking real world archery as well.. I used to practice kyudo (heki-ryu insai ha, the original battlefield archery technique) before I moved back to the Netherlands. I haven't been shooting for quite some time since there are no clubs anywhere nearby, and in fact, I haven't come across a club in the Netherlands at all that shoots heki-ryu insai ha at all.

The bows are asymmetrical recurve/longbow hybrids.

But the thing is, because I do 'real' archery, I always get annoyed if I play an archer in a game, but it makes no sense at all :)

There are certain games that have nearly correct ballistics for bows. Some of them even simulate the unsteadiness of the human hand and use correct fps style aiming. Of course, i have only very basic archery training and only with traditional hungarian (asymmetric reflex recurve) bows and classical (middle ages) crossbows and that was back in high shool...

But of course wow is not really about correct fights, it's more like a turn based (with 1 second turns) tactical card game. You can even run around strafing, facing 90 degrees away from your enemy and the shots would still land accordig to the game statistics engine. It's not something like elder scrolls and even those have only a very minimalist simulation.

I'm talking real world archery as well.. I used to practice kyudo (heki-ryu insai ha, the original battlefield archery technique) before I moved back to the Netherlands. I haven't been shooting for quite some time since there are no clubs anywhere nearby, and in fact, I haven't come across a club in the Netherlands at all that shoots heki-ryu insai ha at all.

The bows are asymmetrical recurve/longbow hybrids.

But the thing is, because I do 'real' archery, I always get annoyed if I play an archer in a game, but it makes no sense at all :)

The case for Field archery as a substitute? Sure there must be clubs in the Netherlands for that...you could shoot instinctive longbow...

Cheers NB

Martijn Meerts
The case for Field archery as a substitute? Sure there must be clubs in the Netherlands for that...you could shoot instinctive longbow...

Cheers NB

Well, I've invested quite heavily in my kyudo gear, so I'd definitely prefer to shoot that. I also don't know of any archery club near where I live at all to be honest. There's also the time constraint, I usually only get home at around 8pm. I live in a fairly small city, and you only really have clubs for the popular martial arts like judo, karate and such. Even something like kendo, which isn't exactly unknown, is hard to find over here.

I'm thinking of getting a makiwara though, and just shoot short range to practice my technique and at least keep that up. I can always make arrangements with my former club in Norway to visit them a couple of weeks to shoot long distance there, or even make arrangements with a university in Japan to go shoot there for some weeks. The only disadvantage with shooting alone on a makiwara is that it's not very inspiring ;)

Back on track: WoW is working again. I have just retrieved my character from where I left it. Now I only need to finish downloading the whole game.

Cheers NB