NHK World running a show called Train Cruise

miyakoji

This was a really good episode. I think this narrator that they have used in some recent episodes really matches with the atmosphere of the show more than some of the presenters they have had. Every episode is also a treasure trove of scenery ideas. I also often spend a fair amount of time after watching an episode on hobbysearch to see what models have been made of the railway lines featured... so far I have resisted these temptations but it always surprises me how many models have been produced.

I was wondering if anyone still had copies of any of the older episodes they could share? I was specifically looking for the episode 'Autumn in Japan's northern island' which seems impossible to find anywhere, but any of the earlier episodes would be good. None of the older google drive links on this topic work anymore unfortunately.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, Arctic said:

This was a really good episode. I think this narrator that they have used in some recent episodes really matches with the atmosphere of the show more than some of the presenters they have had. Every episode is also a treasure trove of scenery ideas. I also often spend a fair amount of time after watching an episode on hobbysearch to see what models have been made of the railway lines featured... so far I have resisted these temptations but it always surprises me how many models have been produced.

I was wondering if anyone still had copies of any of the older episodes they could share? I was specifically looking for the episode 'Autumn in Japan's northern island' which seems impossible to find anywhere, but any of the earlier episodes would be good. None of the older google drive links on this topic work anymore unfortunately.

Hi, I hope this helps you out 🙂  Autumn in Japan's northern island

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IYCZFSDWyugDE2AfpVaRsT-vUad-AFR9/view?usp=sharing

Please let me know when you have downloaded it so that I can free up space in my Google Drive. 

Enjoy 🙂 

• Like 1

Finally got to watch the Autumn in Akita program and really enjoyed it.  Though I did learn I was pronouncing Akita wrong ....

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

The Myths and Legends of Hiroshima and Shimane

May 7, 2022

May 8, 2022

We start at Hiroshima, the largest city in the Chugoku region, and journey pastoral landscapes through the Chugoku Mountains to Izumo, Shimane Prefecture. The towns along the way are alive with myths and legends from ancient times. Tales of the Kappa and other supernatural creatures defy scientific explanation. Kagura, which draws its stories from Shinto mythology, is performed in dedication to the deities. Japanese swords that are crucial in traditional events are still being made in the area.

• Thanks 3

Hi everyone

Does anyone have episodes from 2014 and 2015 seasons of Train Cruise? I can't find some of the episodes from those years anywhere online.

3 hours ago, 251fan said:

Hi everyone

Does anyone have episodes from 2014 and 2015 seasons of Train Cruise? I can't find some of the episodes from those years anywhere online.

I have episode 1 to 19. So 2014 to late 2017 I think. PM me whi h you want. I can put then in google docs for downloading.

bobbodaclown

New Episode!

The Summer Breezes of Southern Hokkaido

September 3, 2022

We travel south from Sapporo on the Hakodate Line, one of Japan's earliest rail lines, to visit a museum that preserves railroad history and a distillery known around the globe for its whisky. Rail fans will not want to miss a rare experience at one of its remote stations. At Oshamambe, customers enjoy crab bento while savouring the joy of travel, without boarding a train. Leisurely journey through an area where new winds will blow when the Shinkansen starts operations in the future.

• Like 4

Enjoyed the show.  Inspired me to watch a cab ride video of the line.  Looks like it will close when the Shinkansen goes into service around 2031 - - sort of sad but I guess that is understandable.

Tony

• Like 1
On 9/6/2022 at 9:39 PM, Tony Galiani said:

Enjoyed the show.  Inspired me to watch a cab ride video of the line.  Looks like it will close when the Shinkansen goes into service around 2031 - - sort of sad but I guess that is understandable.

Tony

Do you have a link the the cab ride video please Tony?

New Episode!

The Energetic Port Towns of Iwate and Aomori

December 3, 2022

December 4, 2022

We travel Japan's northeast on the JR Hachinohe Line and Aoimori Railway, stopping at port towns along the way to experience the energetic culture and nature of Iwate and Aomori Prefectures. Feel the earth's power at an expansive, natural lawn on the coast. Browse the 300 stalls at a bustling, morning market and wonder at the range of products on offer. Get a rush from the exciting musical style of the Tsugaru shamisen. And, view the impressive Nebuta Festival of lights, which draws one million spectators.

• Like 1

New Episode!

Living by the Sea along Kyushu's Southern Coast

January 7, 2023

January 8, 2023

We travel the Hisatsu Orange Railway from Yatsushiro in Kumamoto Prefecture to Akune in Kagoshima Prefecture. Much of the line hugs the coast, framing beautiful ocean vistas in the windows. Sea breezes nurture the regional specialty, Amanatsu citrus fruit, while billowing white sails lend traditional fishing vessels the nickname, "ladies in white dresses." One artisan crafts colorful fishing vessel banners for bountiful hauls. Meet a local culture fostered by the sea and the residents who eek their living from it.

A new episode randomly seemed to appear? I checked yesterday and looked like an old episode was showing for this month, then this appeared?

A Winter Wonderland in Fukui

We journey through the snowy landscapes of northern Fukui Prefecture in central Japan on the Echizen Railway. The local trains, which are a lifeline for residents, operate over a total distance of 53 kilometers and provide access to many sightseeing locations. Visit the 770-year-old Eiheiji and practice zazen meditation, sip locally brewed sake and dine on Echizen crab, as we train cruise through the natural winter wonderland of the old Echizen Province on the Sea of Japan.

• Like 1

Finally watched the Tokyo Station episode from December 2022.  Didn't  realize just how big the station is.  I had been there but never went out and saw the original side of the station - just the Yaesu side apparently.  Didn't know there was a museum there as well.  Just added it to my list of places to visit on my next trip.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 2

Just watched the Fukui episode. Nice to see the new platforms for both this railway and the new shinkansen platforms adjacent.

Fukui seems like a nice part of Japan.

• Like 1
On 2/6/2023 at 11:10 AM, Tony Galiani said:

Finally watched the Tokyo Station episode from December 2022.  Didn't  realize just how big the station is.  I had been there but never went out and saw the original side of the station - just the Yaesu side apparently.  Didn't know there was a museum there as well.  Just added it to my list of places to visit on my next trip.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

Yes it is absolutely huge, though not as big as Shinjuku it is infinitely more interesting!

A Trip through Time in Ehime

March 4, 2023

12:10 - 12:55 / 19:10 - 19:55 

March 5, 2023

3:10 - 3:55 / 7:10 - 7:55 

We take a trip on the JR Yosan Line through the local history and culture of Ehime Prefecture. Learn modern history at a railroad museum featuring exhibits you can touch and a theme park located on the former site of a copper mine. Dive into an age-old culture at a hot spring town where Geiko entertainers delight guests. A beloved tourist train with dining cars takes us right along the sea and stops at a popular lookout. Experience Gagaku Imperial Court Music at an ancient Shinto shrine.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/traincruise/20230304/2068032/

• Like 2
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Spring Arrives in Eastern Hokkaido

June 3 & June 4, 2023

Journey through eastern Hokkaido Prefecture, where spring arrives last in Japan. First, head east from Obihiro through the expansive fields of the Tokachi Plain, which produce much of Japan's food, then along the Pacific Ocean where you can savor the fresh, local produce and seafood. Visit a closed railway that is popular with rail fans, then roll through vast marshlands, a rarity in Japan, and observe the spring wildlife frolicking outside your window as you steam toward your final stop in Nemuro.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/traincruise/20230603/2068033/

• Like 1
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

The Vivid Colors of Gunma and Niigata

August 5, 2023

August 6, 2023

We journey from Gunma Pref., northwest of Tokyo, through Niigata Pref. and marvel at the colors of early summer. Glide along the Tone River through fresh verdure. Explore an art installation in a 750m tunnel and become part of the art in a mirrored shaft that reflects the gorge outside. Admire carvings by Japan's Michelangelo at a 500-year-old Buddhist temple. Try the local, pastel-colored sugar candies. Hover between blue sky and sea at a station on the Sea of Japan. Find your favorite color.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Off the Beaten Track in Southern Okayama
September 2, 2023
September 3, 2023

We start our journey from Fukuyama in southeastern Hiroshima Prefecture bound for Kurashiki in southwestern Okayama Prefecture via JR and the Ibara Railway. The area once prospered on cotton cultivation and textile production. The traditional weaving techniques are used today to make denim, and brocade items for temples and shrines. We also visit historic townscapes dating back to the 16th through 18th centuries, and taste some local sweets. At our destination, we encounter masterpieces of art.

• Thanks 1

New Episode!

Rice and Sake from Niigata to Yamagata

November 4, 2023 / November 5, 2023

We journey the JR Hakushin and Uetsu Main Lines of Niigata and Yamagata Prefectures in search of traditional food culture in one of Japan's major rice-producing regions. At Niigata Station we sample sake from the dizzying array on offer. We visit an old brewery that has converted one building into a tourist attraction. One sightseeing train—so popular it's always fully booked—offers spectacular views of the Sea of Japan. Along the way we try exquisite salmon dishes and other culinary delights.

• Thanks 2

New Episode!

The Caldera of Mt. Aso in Kyushu

December 9, 2023/ December 10, 2023

Travel through one of the largest calderas in the world at Mt. Aso in Kumamoto Pref. The caldera has fertile ground to sustain crops and livestock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1