NHK World running a show called Train Cruise

miyakoji

I have started working my way through this series and it is giving me too many ideas!  Both for potential layouts or dioramas as well as new destinations I want to see when I get back to Japan.  I ordered some Tomix Kihas after seeing a show on Hokkaido.  Last night I watched the episode on the Shimatetsu which prompted me to think about a diorama of Aino station or of the station (the name escapes me at the moment) which is the closest station to the sea in Japan.  I am having trouble sorting out my next project and this series is not helping!

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 2

New Episode!

Into the Depths of Mt. Fuji, Yamanashi & Nagano

December 5, 2020

Starting from Hachioji in Tokyo's west, our journey takes us to Mt. Fuji, then into the mountains of Yamanashi and Nagano Prefectures. We watch traditional puppet theater. We alight at Mt. Fuji Station on the Fujikyu line, the closest railway to the peak, and enter a spiritual lava cave in the bowels of the mountain. As we make our way north, we stop by a Buddhist temple with a vineyard and a colossal radio telescope. Discover amazing scenery and sights deep in the mountains outside Tokyo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is also a new Train Cruise video available:

Into the Depths of Mt. Fuji, Yamanashi & Nagano

Train Cruise

44m 00s

Broadcast on December 5, 2020 Available until March 31, 2024

Starting from Hachioji in Tokyo's west, our journey takes us to Mt. Fuji, then into the mountains of Yamanashi and Nagano Prefectures. We watch traditional puppet theater. We alight at Mt. Fuji Station on the Fujikyu line, the closest railway to the peak, and enter a spiritual lava cave in the bowels of the mountain. As we make our way north, we stop by a Buddhist temple with a vineyard and a colossal radio telescope. Discover amazing scenery and sights deep in the mountains outside Tokyo.

Not quite as full of train content at Japan Railway Journal but interesting and a good amount of train information.  And a view of an excellent model of a Shinano tourist train wagon.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Oops - I am not with the program!  I didn't realize info on this had already been posted in November.  I just noticed the show today when I was looking at the NHK web site so thought I would post about it.  Sorry about that.

Anyway, I enjoyed it - I have been looking at the NHK videos quite a bit since I can't travel right now.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 1

New Episode!

Fukuoka: The Steely Backbone of Japan's Modernization

February 6, 2021

The imperial steelworks established 120 years ago in Kitakyushu, Fukuoka Pref., on the southern island of Kyushu, drove Japan's modernization. And coal mined in the nearby Chikuho area fuelled this industry. We visit old ironworks and coal mines along the railways that transported the coal, and eat a bento that has delighted travellers for a century. We meet a retired mechanic working to invigorate the area with railroad history and an ex-coal miner preserving its coal mining past for posterity.

• Thanks 1
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Legends along the Kyoto Tango Railway

1 May 2021

We start our journey at Fukuchiyama, a transport hub in central Kyoto Prefecture, and head north through valleys to the Sea of Japan and Toyooka, across the border in Hyogo Prefecture. The Kyoto Tango Railway boasts various carriages, with attractive interiors, operating on its 3 lines. We stop to admire the spectacular view of the sea, learn about the culture and history from local residents, and visit places that appear in legends.

• Like 3
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Spring Transforms Fukushima's Samurai Country

June 5, 2021 / June 6, 2021

We travel the Aizu Railway and JR Tadami Line through mountains in the Aizu region of Fukushima Pref. in Japan's northeast. Cruise with us from Aizu-Tajima Station, through an area known to receive a meter of snow in a single day during the winter. In spring, flowers bloom as the snow melts, and emerald green valleys come to life. Aizu is famous for its ultramarine pottery, and traditional red craftwork believed to repel evil. Enjoy the samurai history and scenery of Aizu in the early spring.

• Thanks 1
HankyuDentetsu
On 4/21/2021 at 12:07 AM, bobbodaclown said:

New Episode!

Legends along the Kyoto Tango Railway

1 May 2021

We start our journey at Fukuchiyama, a transport hub in central Kyoto Prefecture, and head north through valleys to the Sea of Japan and Toyooka, across the border in Hyogo Prefecture. The Kyoto Tango Railway boasts various carriages, with attractive interiors, operating on its 3 lines. We stop to admire the spectacular view of the sea, learn about the culture and history from local residents, and visit places that appear in legends.

Really beautiful episode, this one. It's a wonderful part of the country, too. The journeys on JR from Kyoto Station to Amanohashidate, and Kinosaki Onsen to the west, are just fantastic. And then riding the Kyo-Tango Railway is just special - I've been on a number of private rural lines now and there's just something about it that stands out for me. Getting off at Yuhigaura-Kitsuonsen to watch the sunset at Hamazume Beach (https://www.kyototourism.org/en/sightseeing/517/) is a memory I'll treasure. The scenery on the line between Amanohashidate and Yuhigaura is just stunning.

I've never been across the Yuragawa bridge though - man do I want to ride across this at some point in my life!!

• Like 2
bobbodaclown
On 5/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, HankyuDentetsu said:

Really beautiful episode, this one. It's a wonderful part of the country, too. The journeys on JR from Kyoto Station to Amanohashidate, and Kinosaki Onsen to the west, are just fantastic. And then riding the Kyo-Tango Railway is just special - I've been on a number of private rural lines now and there's just something about it that stands out for me. Getting off at Yuhigaura-Kitsuonsen to watch the sunset at Hamazume Beach (https://www.kyototourism.org/en/sightseeing/517/) is a memory I'll treasure. The scenery on the line between Amanohashidate and Yuhigaura is just stunning.

I've never been across the Yuragawa bridge though - man do I want to ride across this at some point in my life!!

Watched the episode last weekend. Was wonderful as you say. The only thing that spoilt our trip there was that I didn't realise that the JR Pass didn't cover the travel on the private line, even though we were in a JR train. It was rather a rude shock to be asked for Y6,000 when we alighted at Amanohashidate. Ah well, the joys of travel! Amanohashidate itself was spectacular though.

• Like 1

These episodes are so much better now without some guitar-carrying hipster dufus saying wow or amazing every few minutes. Just a calm narration and background music and the camera does the rest. Sort of reminds me of the concept of iyashikei.

• Like 2

New Episode!

Change Within Continuity in West Kyushu

November 6, 2021 / November 7, 2021

We travel the Matsuura Railway through Nagasaki and Saga Prefectures in western Kyushu, where trade between Japan and Europe first began 500 years ago. Remote from the historical economic and political centers of Japan, the region absorbed Western trends and culture which still hold strong today. We go in search of customs and crafts that evolved over centuries in a region that was once at the forefront of culture in Japan.

New Episode!

Mountain Life Deep in Autumnal Akita

January 1, 2022

We journey the Tazawako and Akita Nairiku Lines into the heart of Akita Pref. in Japan's north. Warm yourself in the milky white waters of a secluded, hot spring and admire lustrous, traditional items made from bark. Visit the Matagi bear hunters who continue to practice an indigenous faith and its rites. Deeper into the mountains, marvel at the night sky and visit UNESCO-designated ancient ruins. The villages these rail lines connect offer a glimpse into the seasonal mountain life of Akita.

• Thanks 1