NHK World running a show called Train Cruise

miyakoji

20 hours ago, MisterChief said:

Heading to Shikoku in summer.

In the past, some people have posted their itineraries for suggestions on how to achieve maximum rail mania :grin  I used to visit Ehime periodically, and pass through Kagawa on the way there.  I really like Shikoku.

19 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Okay episode.  Wasn't much trains.

They actually went through all available rail transports in the area. There isn't much to see there as most interesting things have no guided tours and 2 out of the 5 lines have been built recently. Although the few interesting bits that are there, like those beautiful old buildings are great and imho can't be found anymore in more urban areas unless as part of a museum. Some of the area seem to be somewhat still in the early Showa period at least based on what i saw in the show. This is actually good, but i don't really expect a lot of tourists showing up there in the future.

ps: i watched it on the NHK site as it can be streamed with a device specific resolution without downloading first (as long as you don't miss it)

22 hours ago, katoftw said:

I watch using the VOD service also.  I need for this secret squirrel stuff going on when there are ways to watch it with ease.

Just PM and ask why. :)

-jnsarnold

kevsmiththai

Has anybody got experience of getting files off a Humax box without using a USB grabber?

Kev

Edited by kevsmiththai
wrong thread

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/traincruise/2068007/

March 24 episode.  Touch the skies of Kanagawa.

Reporter JJ starts his journey through Kanagawa Pref. in the naval city of Yokosuka and heads to Kamakura. This ancient seat of political power is alive with samurai culture and history. From there he heads to Enoshima on the nostalgic Enoden line that lazily runs through the streets and along the Pacific coast. Then he takes to the skies for a thrilling ride on a suspended monorail. And for the climax, he rides a train into the mountains of Hakone in search of a stunning view of the heavens.

• Thanks 1
scotspensioner

Got up this morning,made breakfast and then watched newly posted YouTube of Train Cruise.Pacific Coast of Shikoku.Really enjoyed it!

*NEW EPISODE*

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/traincruise/20180505/2068008/

May 5, 2018

The Living Museum of Chiba

Watch Live in

2days 17hours 33min

Discover modern railways and colorful local lines in Chiba Prefecture, just a stone's throw from Tokyo. We start on "Japan's doorstep", at Narita Airport, riding the Shibayama Line into Chiba City and glide through the sky on the Chiba Urban Monorail, the world's longest suspended railway. Then we cross the prefecture on the Kominato Line, passing stations and bridges built more than 90 years ago, meet the people who saved the Isumi Railway from closing, and finally arrive at a menagerie of trains.

On 5/2/2018 at 8:37 AM, katoftw said:

*NEW EPISODE*

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/traincruise/20180505/2068008/

May 5, 2018

The Living Museum of Chiba

Discover modern railways and colorful local lines in Chiba Prefecture, just a stone's throw from Tokyo. We start on "Japan's doorstep", at Narita Airport, riding the Shibayama Line into Chiba City and glide through the sky on the Chiba Urban Monorail, the world's longest suspended railway. Then we cross the prefecture on the Kominato Line, passing stations and bridges built more than 90 years ago, meet the people who saved the Isumi Railway from closing, and finally arrive at a menagerie of trains.

Funny how they completely forgot to mention that the Shibamaya Line is the shortest railway line in Japan, at only 2.2 km (only connecting one side of Narita airport to the other). The ricefields are pretty. Will definitely go back to Chiba prefecture; as the only thing i've seen there so far is the Nokogiri buddha's. 

On youtube here: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

*new episode*

Saturday, June 210:10 - 10:5516:10 - 16:5522:10 - 22:55

Sunday, June 34:10 - 4:55

June 2, 2018

Izu: From Rugged Coastline to Inland Warmth

Watch Live in

5days 16hours 18min

Izu Peninsula is a famous hot springs area located about 1 hour by Shinkansen bullet train southwest of Tokyo. On this Train Cruise, we ride on 2 railways that travel the peninsula. On the eastern shore's Izu Kyuko Railway, we visit an attractive and mysterious area designated as a Geopark by UNESCO. On the Sunzu Line of the Izu Hakone Tetsudo, we are delighted by the train's popular animation character decorations and visit a retro unmanned station and historical temple. This is an opportunity to enjoy hot springs and taste the other attractions of Izu.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/traincruise/20180602/2068009/

• Like 1