NHK World running a show called Train Cruise

miyakoji

wolff67310, on 22 Nov 2015 - 5:18 PM, said:

Finally new stuff !  Thank you for sharing !  :)

I discovered also the new show called "Japan Railway Journal" which is sadly not broadcasted in France.

Great show ! I managed to download episodes 05 to 08, the other ones are no more online.

Ep 2. http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9782-new-nhk-world-show-japan-railway-journal/?do=findComment&comment=113701

Ep 3. http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9782-new-nhk-world-show-japan-railway-journal/page-2?do=findComment&comment=115719

Ep 4. http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9782-new-nhk-world-show-japan-railway-journal/page-3?do=findComment&comment=117303

I think...

• Like 1

Unexciting episode and content.  Did get to see a little of Hokkaido from a train perspective though.  There were some interesting bits.  But in general I found myself wishing the end of the episode would hurry up.

One thing I did note was the episode did not that the "train facts" as per previous episodes.

Edited by katoftw

I do agree this episode is kinda boring... Nothing much on trains, nothing much on food neither. The reporter only ate the steamed salmon towards the end of the trip and stayed hungry for the last 2 days...  Surviving only on foot baths....  :P

They did not talk on the private rail line that served stations with foot baths and stopped long times (like 30 mins and 80mins on another) at the stations for visitors to use the foot baths... They also mentioned the trains were mainly used for locals and not much tourist... So I wonder if the locals would need to wait 30minis or 80mins at the station just to go home?

The Cities, Mountains, and Seas of Osaka and Wakayama

Friday, February 12 23:10
Saturday, February 13 5:10/ 10:10/ 17:10 (UTC)

• 160212train_cruise01.jpg
  • 160212train_cruise02.jpg
  • 160212train_cruise03.jpg
  • 160212train_cruise04.jpg
  • 160212train_cruise05.jpg
  • 160212train_cruise06.jpg

We start at Kansai International Airport. In the metropolis of Osaka, we ride the futuristic Rapi:t that resembles something out of a sci-fi movie, enjoy a bite at a local eatery, and travel by the latest streetcar through the suburbs. In Wakayama Prefecture, we journey through rugged terrain to Mt. Koya, 800m in altitude. Here we leave forget the everyday and experience Buddhist monastic life. Then we take local trains down toward the Pacific Ocean. Along the way, we discover a little train that hauls the local mikan harvest through mountainside orchards near the coast. We also meet an old fishing family and a feline stationmaster. Enjoy a journey to the city, mountain, and sea in Osaka and Wakayama.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2

I am posting this on this topic and the Japan Railway Journal thread where I convert videos for dabsan to share.

I base the quality of the video conversions I do on the ones that the_weird_one originally used to post... basically they're 1280x720 @ 3000 Kb/s. Are people okay with that, or would they prefer that I reduce the quality on them to save on download amounts/time?

Makes very little difference to me, as I only ever watch the originals (which are 1920x1080 @ 10000 kb/s and over 2GB per episode as a result), but I appreciate that the size of the videos might be too high for some people, or that people might be just as happy with a reduced quality.

If anyone has any feedback, let me know...

P.s. next episode is already set to record (23:10 UK time), so that should be online tomorrow (Saturday)

Are people okay with that, or would they prefer that I reduce the quality on them to save on download amounts/time?

Very happy with the current quality, and I'd rather have 720p than 1080i :) Download time isn't important for me, its only 1 episode every few weeks. Looking forward to the next episode! Edited by utrainia

720p is the good compromise between file size, download time and picture quality.
My opinion: don't change anything, it's perfect this way.

I'm already looking forward to the new episode thanks to you all !

• Like 1

Very happy with the current quality, and I'd rather have 720p than 1080i :) Download time isn't important for me, its only 1 episode every few weeks. Looking forward to the next episode!

With the current level of deinterlacing technology in use these days, you can't tell it's an interlaced signal in all honesty. It's not like the old days of playing videos on the PC where you can see the line shifts. I mean my profession is/was a computer artist and I was trained to spot pixels out of place, but I have no problems with interlaced satellite feeds. Then again, I don't use a standard Sky box, so that probably helps. ;)

The 720p videos I am uploading are deinterlaced with pretty much the same technology as is used in most display devices, but with a lesser amount of detail.

720p is the good compromise between file size, download time and picture quality.

My opinion: don't change anything, it's perfect this way.

I'm already looking forward to the new episode thanks to you all !

That was precisely my dilemma... badly compressed 1080 to keep the size down, or more lenient 720 with less compression artefacting.

Just caught the first broadcast of the Osaka episode, pretty good.  This guy and Arthur Binard (Hiroshima episode) are probably the best hosts yet.

Okay... after miyakoji teased you all, I thought I had better pull my finger out and get it sorted, so here's the latest episode:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0RHk2dUo0a3hsQzg/view?usp=sharing

Just one thing, I obviously haven't had time to watch this yet, so if there are any glitches in the recording, let me know. I am recording it again at 5:30am as I always record twice. I did have one occasion where there was about 20 minutes of black screen in the middle of an episode, which thankfully wasn't there in the second recording... lesson learned.

• Like 3

Thanks for rip & the upload !  

To LeeC22 : Don't worry about the quality of the encoding ; I've just finished to watch this episode (one of the best I've ever seen) : it's just perfect !

A great episode, great moments to share with the local people.....  It's just like having been a part of the trip !

Edited by wolff67310
  • Like 1

Thanks to those that make this happen.

Koyasan and Shirahama were on the shortlist for my next trip.  And they lost out to other destinations.  Now I'm stuck in the middle again. haha

• Like 1

Hmmm... something very weird is going on. Not being one to simply let things pass, I've spent the last hour or so doing some test conversions, and the bizarre thing I have discovered, is that 1920x1080 videos are coming out the same size (file size that is) as the 1280x720 videos at the exact same bitrate.

I have converted the first 5 minutes of the most recent episode, if anyone fancies having a look, to see what they reckon, then it's here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0V2k5Wm0yNE51b0U/view?usp=sharing

To give people an idea of what difference the extra resolution makes, I tried to get a screengrab of the same frame and magnified the window in Photoshop so they were as close to the same size as possible. The left side of the image is the 1080 version... so what this means, is that for a little longer in the conversion time, it is possible that you get the best of both worlds.

Part of me thinks there is a gotcha with this, but it seems right.

post-2244-0-39684900-1455420097_thumb.png

Edited by LeeC22
  • Like 1