NHK World running a show called Train Cruise

miyakoji

Thank you Lee san once again for sharing! Train Cruise is a nice collection of videos which I'm gonna save them all ~   :)

I just wish they would show episodes one and two again, so that I can complete my collection in HD.

katoftw, on 04 Jan 2015 - 8:29 PM, said:

I have one and two.  Downloaded it from this thread.

I have the ones from this thread, I would like to have them in the same quality as the rest though. The original files that come off my satellite are 1920x1080 at 10Mb/s and are about 3.5GB for each episode.

I'm kinda picky when it comes to video quality because I sometimes play the files on my projector, which shows up any compression in the file.

Near the end of this latest episode was the preserved Atsushio Station, the end of the Nitchu (when it existed).  Wiki Commons has some nice photos: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Atsushio_Station

Yes it's really a serene and nostalgic place to visit... But I couldn't help but smile when the conductor was pointing at both sides when he was standing on just a grass patch overlooking a concrete foot path...  :)

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

In addition to that new program Japan Railway Journal, maybe they're still doing Train Cruise.  I just saw on NHK World that there will be a new one on March 20, "Journey of the Sanyo Area" covering Hiroshima and Yamaguchi (conspicuously omitting Okayama :().  I haven't actually found NHK's own listing for this; when I do I'll post the times.

:)

Japan Railway JournalThe Railway Revival: 4 years after the Great Earthquake

Mar. 8, Sun. 4:10/ 10:10/ 16:10/ 22:10 (UTC)

• 150308japan_railway01.jpg

• 150308japan_railway02.jpg

150308japan_railway03.jpg

150308japan_railway04.jpg

The devastating Earthquake damaged or destroyed 4,070km of the railways along the Pacific coastline of North Eastern Japan. See how the unique Bus Rapid Transit system helped to quickly restore vital transportation needs, and the latest wireless signaling system increased the frequency and reliability of the trains. The damage was severe, but the comeback of East Japan's railways will change history for rail services throughout the country. Also, discover the railway museum where visitors can drive a real Class EF63 Electric Locomotive for an unforgettable ride.
  • Like 2

I thought that Japan Railway Journal was really good, looking forward to the next one. There was also a programme called Tomorrow, which was looking at the effects of the earthquake and tsunami on the rail system, which was also very good.

I'll check for that Train Cruise episode later, although it might not be listed as that yet, they sometimes just mark it as "Special Programme" or something similar until it gets closer to the day.

Train CruiseJapanese Culture along the Inland Sea

Mar. 21, Sat. 0:10/ 6:10/ 12:10/ 18:10 (UTC)

• 150321traincruise01.jpg

• 150321traincruise02.jpg

150321traincruise03.jpg

150321traincruise04.jpg

150321traincruise05.jpg

150321traincruise06.jpg

In this episode, we take you between the prefectures of Hiroshima and Yamaguchi in western Japan. In Hiroshima, we see some of the famous antique streetcars that have been gathered here from across Japan. We then follow a route linking 2 World Heritage Sites, the Atomic Bomb Dome, which survived the devastation of the nuclear bomb, and the Itsukushima Shrine, a magnificent temple in the sea. Reaching Yamaguchi Prefecture, we go into the mountains along small railway lines from Iwakuni, a town famous for its beautiful wooden Brocade Sash Bridge (Kintaikyo Bridge), with its graceful arches.

• Like 2

I'm keen.  Nishikigawa Railway seems to get a look in.  And the Iwakuni area.  Also Miyajima is on my to-do list, so good to see that also.

Got this set to record twice, just in case one goes wrong.

I think my Google Drive quota is getting a bit full, so I may need to delete earlier recordings off there. So if anyone wants anything I've previously uploaded, best to get it this week before I have to remove it.

• Like 2

I'm having a heck of a time finding this to record - my provider's directory entries for NHK world are all scrambled up.  (UVerse)

Got this set to record twice, just in case one goes wrong.

I think my Google Drive quota is getting a bit full, so I may need to delete earlier recordings off there. So if anyone wants anything I've previously uploaded, best to get it this week before I have to remove it.

Thank you from the whole community for what you do for us.

• Like 1

My Drive quota is still good if you want to pass the to me Lee

Ah cool... I might be okay, I don't really know what the quota is on there. It's just that I've been writing a programme for creating trailer mods for the game Euro Truck Simulator 2, so I've had a fair bit of stuff go into Google Drive recently. I'll have a proper look later as I've got to upload some tutorial videos for that programme anyway. If it looks like I'm heading for a problem, I'll give you a shout... thank you. :)

I've just watched the first episode. Thank you LeeC22 for sharing it!

I think it's a bit odd to start with the BRT system, since it's clearly not a railway. At least they admit it that the BRT was choosen as a cheaper alternative to fully rebuilding the destroyed line. The next topic, the new ATACS system, which is as far as i could understand is the japanese equivalent of the european ETC level 3 is interesting but not as new in the world as in Japan. However i do love the part about the Usui pass, imho the whole episode could have been only about the museum.

SantaFe1970

Thanks, Lee. I enjoyed the J Railway Journal #1 very much. The show was more technical than I expected (though certainly very accessible, with no expectation of prior knowledge).

I actually enjoyed the BRT section a lot. Makes me want to get the new Tomytec bus system set. I wonder if Tomytec will come up with passing sidings and crossings like the Kesennuma line?

Too bad NHK World doesn't just have a Youtube channel. I would appreciate easier access to such shows.

Yeah this was a very enjoyable episode, despite the omission of Okayama :( :grin.  Arthur Binard is about the best host they've had.  I remember seeing his translations periodically, or maybe original works, in English-language newspapers when I lived in Japan.

Enjoyable episode.  Nishikigawa, Iwakuni, Miyajima, Hiroshima.

Nice seeing the 305 rolling out of the factory for the first time.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1