I think the numbering they use is simply 'add 1 to the last JNR made loco number' and then slightly update it. Regarding the old stock, the JNR in the series is doing the same JR West does by running the Osaka loop with old stock as long as possible. The time frame of the series could be around now, with some really old trains and the current JR East trains mixed together. Considering the roof of Tokyo station and the use and types of mobile phones, the timeframe is now +- a few years.

The black star loco is funny and not really practical, considering that in the past most railway police departements used railcars or emus/dmus when they had to run their own trains. I think this loco was added just for the show and the jokes. (On the other hand, an armed railway police force is not fully unreal, the similar hungarian version was disarmed in 1989, so most of their rolling stock is in museums now or was scrapped.) I'm really interested in what kind of other special trains the creators will come up with in the future.

ps: The girls are only large chested compared to the japanese standard and would look normal in europe. The idea was probably to give something to the viewers who are not really interested in trains that much. Considering the general target audience, all the characters look correct so far.

The Next Station Is...

Considering the roof of Tokyo station and the use and types of mobile phones, the timeframe is now +- a few years.

If you look at Naoto's phone when he is answering it in episode 3, it shows the date as late June 2014... so pretty close to the current date!

AAhhh... Interesting! Didn't know you had that history ~  :)

By far the endowment of these girls are way overboard. I do see other anime (hentai) before but this is way too much for a 'normal' anime. Any idea what is the age rating of this?

By the way, it does contain some very nice information. Due to my limited knowledge, I didn't know that EF actually refers to E-'Electric' and F-the sixth alphabet so it means it has 6 axles. Interesting!  

It actually seems that the anime is set somewhat a little more history, or is it totally fictionous? I actually see the E231-500 run alongside the 201 series Keihan-Tohoku. There were 117 series too, and the 'Tsurumi' line is using the Cannery yellow 201 series.

Yeah, if not for the fear of being arrested for saying I disagree with the silliest little things in Singapore, I'd be living on Orchard Road or Lakeside right now. Well, that and it's too damn hot over there for me. I'm a snow guy, I like winter.

Anycase, seen quite a few other series with them that big, non-hentai. Any of the harem stuff, and there's usually an oversized top-heavy fan service chick too on a lot of mecha series. *cough Matilda (UC Gundam)

Yeah the EF, I have heard most westerners refer to as Electric Freight, but over here stateside (I can't speak for Britt or Oz trains) our electric trains us the same class system. The SD40 locomotive used a Co-Co wheel configuration, C=3 axles. GP40 uses Bo-Bo wheel arrangement.

But, I'll digress as that may get too far off topic.

I think the numbering they use is simply 'add 1 to the last JNR made loco number' and then slightly update it. Regarding the old stock, the JNR in the series is doing the same JR West does by running the Osaka loop with old stock as long as possible. The time frame of the series could be around now, with some really old trains and the current JR East trains mixed together. Considering the roof of Tokyo station and the use and types of mobile phones, the timeframe is now +- a few years.

The black star loco is funny and not really practical, considering that in the past most railway police departements used railcars or emus/dmus when they had to run their own trains. I think this loco was added just for the show and the jokes. (On the other hand, an armed railway police force is not fully unreal, the similar hungarian version was disarmed in 1989, so most of their rolling stock is in museums now or was scrapped.) I'm really interested in what kind of other special trains the creators will come up with in the future.

ps: The girls are only large chested compared to the japanese standard and would look normal in europe. The idea was probably to give something to the viewers who are not really interested in trains that much. Considering the general target audience, all the characters look correct so far.

Yeah, that was my reply to JR500, to us westerners, those bubbles are normal sized. One of my Japanese friends nearly went blind visiting me in DC due to all those distracting C and D cups those "bakemono " women here have. I just laughed at him.

If you look at Naoto's phone when he is answering it in episode 3, it shows the date as late June 2014... so pretty close to the current date!

And yet the K-T line 201's are there, when the 231's in our RT are looking to go out. Any case I know it's a fantasy alternative time line !!

Yeah, if not for the fear of being arrested for saying I disagree with the silliest little things in Singapore, I'd be living on Orchard Road or Lakeside right now. Well, that and it's too damn hot over there for me. I'm a snow guy, I like winter.

Anycase, seen quite a few other series with them that big, non-hentai. Any of the harem stuff, and there's usually an oversized top-heavy fan service chick too on a lot of mecha series. *cough Matilda (UC Gundam)

Yeah the EF, I have heard most westerners refer to as Electric Freight, but over here stateside (I can't speak for Britt or Oz trains) our electric trains us the same class system. The SD40 locomotive used a Co-Co wheel configuration, C=3 axles. GP40 uses Bo-Bo wheel arrangement.

Yeah, that was my reply to JR500, to us westerners, those bubbles are normal sized. One of my Japanese friends nearly went blind visiting me in DC due to all those distracting C and D cups those "bakemono " women here have. I just laughed at him.

And yet the K-T line 201's are there, when the 231's in our RT are looking to go out. Any case I know it's a fantasy alternative time line !!

Hi Shashinka:

Interesting~ Lakeside isn't too bad a place to stay but Orchard is way above my level.. It's terribly hot AND humid here, and almost everyday you can feel warm and sticky from sweat that is really bad. I loved Japan for it's cool weather during winter too when I visited.

Some Gundam too were not spared, like Gundam Seed, almost every girl had them 'flexible'' knockers able to bounce around in any direction. Even the Super Robot wars anime were not spared.

Sorry for being off topic, but these huge sized knockers were really too 'flashy' on the screen. I mean if kids were to watch them would they go like: "Mum what are those?" And what is the Mum gonna answer? Worse if it gets to this: "Mum why aren't yours like theirs??? "    X_X

Sizes aside, the overly sized knockers always seem to be the norm in amine which makes me really kinda think: "Must all of the girls be THAT well endowed?" Or is it for the fact that since most adults watching these anime are somewhat like otaku who are always termed as being only at home without social skills or real life girlfriends and hence are only confined to the girls on the screen (including AV) hence the anime girls are given huge assets to boost their imagination?

Coming back to Rail wars, the time line do look kinda funny, with 201 and 231-500 running side by side, and even 117 series who are still in service... Waiting for the 4th episode though, hoping to see some shinkansen this time ~

My GF lived in Lakeside before moving to Orchard. I agree about the heat. It took me 28 hours to get to Changi last time, and I was so ready to get off that horrible but typical UA flight. It was 2200 when I came in, and I made it half way down the jet way when I was hit by the humidity. I about turned around and went back to the plane.

Sadly, one of my least favorite thing about Singapore was the inability to even find Japan Railfan or anything Japanese train related (or western train related for that matter)

"but these huge sized knockers were really too 'flashy' on the screen. I mean if kids were to watch them would they go like: "Mum what are those?" And what is the Mum gonna answer? Worse if it gets to this: "Mum why aren't yours like theirs???"

A little boobie envy there. Not so much an issue in the west, LOL. My ex was always a bit conscious of that too. She met another ex once was was amazed by a C-cup, and was like, yeah, that's kind average to small. But, I digress.

Anycase, looks like episode four posted raw a few hours ago and the subs will be up soon. I'd be interested to see what they call the E-series shinkansens. 900-series, 1000-series. Since it's still JNR, the E/W series naming won't exist. I expect the designs to be different possibly as well.

• Like 1

Interesting Shashinka san! Looks like you're very familar with SG~ Yes the Japan Rail scene, or rather, the ENTIRE rails scene here is dead as ever. No one ever bothers about train or anything here, cause they break down way too often. There is however a local club here that loves our MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) we call it, but I like to call it 'Makan Resident's Taxes (meaning of Makan is 'Eat' in malay). Seems like we need to chat more in private, especially about cup sizes ~  :)

Can't wait for episode four! Shinkansens! Now if the timeline was JNR, there wouldn't be any E-series now, would it? There will be like zero series and zero series and more zero series, and perhaps a 100 series here and there ~

That's what's needed an MRT model. But, man, those trains they run between downtown and JB are terribly scary. Only trains I could find in Singapore was some Plarail stuff at Raffles.

That's the thing with the JNR Shinkansens, the tech would advance, so we'd likely see an advancement of the 300+ series trains, but what would they be called? I don't think there would be more 0-kei trains and the system would evolve over the course of time. So, it will be interesting to see what there will be.

Ep.4 is now live with subs.

UPDATE: Some more interesting alternative time line train stuff. I have to guess in the ATL that JNR has zero budget for new trains.

I'm starting to think more and more that RW is more of a harem series than anything else. Episode four, and we have the obligatory harem beach/swimsuit episode already!? Either, the series is going to go full harem, or there will be a dramatic shift in the tone and direction of the story next week

Edited by Shashinka
post view update

Maybe it was already mentioned, but i noticed that the family name of each character comes from the name of an old JNR line.

I just finished watching episode 4 and was like...

Kinda relevant to our discussion on 'assets' eh Shashinka san? Takayama kun just seems to be always so lucky...

Well that's only one train on episode 4, the Odoriko. To be frank, it did made me look at the Odoriko in another way. Kinda nice.

Next episode is about Kiha-40 and Kiha-55! Diesel!

* Yap that's only plarail and that's about it. In fact, it is in so LOW demand it gets heavily discounted and still no one cares. The Thomas series and Chuggington series are selling very well though. So that's about no rail fans nor rail modellers here, just kids. I guess having a club activity or running trains in public will be like a dream to me ~ *

Takayama would disagree though in that he'd rather be driving trains than driving in to JNR's other assets, LOL. As so far as harem leads go, Takayama had the good sense to keep his head turned and his mouth shut (eventually) in the dressing room.

Can't wait till the KiHa 40's show up/ That's my fav or all DMUs, with the 110 coming in second.

I have just watched the fourth part. It would be great if there would be more about trains as the series called Rail Wars. No problem with the girls, but I thought it will be more railway related. Maybe the next part.

Not sure  if the series is 13 or 26, but the main story plot was about a conspiracy to privatize the JNR, so I'm not sure when that's suppose to start up.

ATShinkansen

Hello,

I just discovered this series last week (on Youtube), and must give it credit for my decision to finally join this forum.

Overall, I really like the concept of this program. My only complaint has already been thoroughly covered here; those parts on the first three episodes were barely tolerable, but I had to close out the window on the fourth episode when it got to the scene of them changing inside the tent. I was really hoping this was going to be a clean show.

With that said, I really like everything else. My favorite scene was the doubleheaded C62s in the first episode. And I must admit, I really like the way the ending credits were put together. That tune has been in my head all week!

Aaron

The Next Station Is...

Episode 5 actually has a model railway in it, though it's a rather bizarre setup. I can only imagine it's purely for Naoto to practice his train driving skills but he hasn't even got any stations to practice stopping at (and he does need to practice stopping - watch the episode to see why...). It's also interesting that it's a 201 series that he's driving around. The 201 is definitely growing on me.

I thought it was odd, that he has a Japanese HO layout.

Really hardcore train modellers in Japan do use H0. Also, it's easier to add camera equipment into a H0 car. (i know there are N scale or even Z scale ones) Now we know why he always dreams of driving a 201 series: he rides on it to work and possibly to school before that and has the same train on his home layout. Anyway, the around the walls layout is a pretty radical way of having a long permanent layout in a room where there is no room for it. Having a lift out section at the door of his bedrom shows he is really a hardcore train fan.

A completly unrelated question: Why did Aoi went to visit him in the first place?

ps: The model he has actually exists and one of the older H0 models that were commercially available. I've seen a few sets turn up on ebay in the past. In the anime, it looks like an at least 8 cars set when shown before the window. The pantographs tend to jump around between car 2 and 3 and the pantograph cars have 2, both up.

It's not so much a matter of who uses vs don't use as so much as the space limitation for said running.

Aoi went to grab him for firearms and CQC training. As to why she didn't grab him at HQ was more of a matter of her not wanting to waste time, or at least using that as an excuse to just see him as it's clear she has feelings for him but is not quite ready to admit it..

I have just watched the fourth part. It would be great if there would be more about trains as the series called Rail Wars. No problem with the girls, but I thought it will be more railway related. Maybe the next part.

Sorry but it is about a security squad and characters that work for the railways. It's not about the railways itself.

As for the other bits of animeness that people haven't liked. That is amine for you. From alot of the comments on this thread it is clear this is their first time viewing any form of amine before. Anime is fictional product so things happen that you wouldn't expect in real life. Like a alternate universe where the Japanese National Railway was never privatized. So familiar?

I guess for the diehard rail fans outside Japan, this show comes as a shock to the system experiencing the anime for the first time. Either you'll like it or you wont. Don't expect it to change to become a show you will like to view if you ain't enjoying it now.

• Like 2

I had a hard laugh at the first few minutes of the show when Sakurai had to cause a derailment to the 201 series with quite an unexpected 'move'.. Haha! Glad that doesn't happen to my layout!

Hi Kato san yes we know it's an anime and it's fiction and all, but being rail fans the shock came to us for the stuff that goes into the show. It's still very enjoyable to watch and a lot of us have seen lotsa anime before. Like most of us I think Gundam comes into mind but there were not as much comments to that as I guess no one ever saw a real life gundam (except for the one standing at Tokyo Bay) so... Much to be said similarly to Naruto cause I believe no one has seen a ninja actually perform a real life ninjutsu?

I'm still enjoying the show and looking forward to watching it, guess being rail fans made the expectations of the show too overboard and forgetting the anime essence of things.

Thing is, the show really is not suitable for kids....

Guess everyone in the show has a liking to Takayama kun, even Sakurai and Koumi and even his superior.... Made the other guy in the show (forgot his name now) look like a complete forgotten character...

Thing is, the show really is not suitable for kids...

As is most anime.

I like the show. Guns, explosions, fight scenes, boobs. It is just a bonus that trains are in it also.

Edited by katoftw

Sorry but it is about a security squad and characters that work for the railways. It's not about the railways itself.

I guess for the diehard rail fans outside Japan, this show comes as a shock to the system experiencing the anime for the first time. Either you'll like it or you wont. Don't expect it to change to become a show you will like to view if you ain't enjoying it now.

As I mentioned it in my comment: "I thought it will be more railway related."

I am not a die hard rail fan outside Japan and this is not the first anime what I have seen. I just waited for a more railway related anime after watching the 3rd episode. Tastes are different, you love this anime which is good, my oppinion is the 3rd episode was the worst but otherwise it is OK.

As I see your preferences in this anime is "guns, explosions, fight scenes, boobs" and trains are only bonuses. But in this case you can watch a lot of anime instead of this, no? :-)

Again: I would prefer trains, and after it maybe investigations, action scenes, boobs, etc.

• Like 1
The Next Station Is...

I think the main issue with Rail Wars! is that - compared to good anime series - it's not very well executed. There's not enough of a decent story that ties the different episodes together, there is too much 'fan service' when it isn't necessary (a little is fine), the animation is a bit ropey (continuity-wise and character proportions changing) and it just doesn't have that feeling that you get when you look at Vania600's illustrations for the light novel.

I think it's got all the right ingredients - railways, trains, security force, characters (Sakurai is my favourite) - but it hasn't been cooked to be as good as it has potential to!

Episode 5 had more trains and facts in it, which was good, but it also had excess fan service. Let's just hope that a decent plot kicks in soon!

ATShinkansen

I'm sure a lot of the shock might be due to potentially heavy editing of shows, at least here in the US. I remember the variety of anime shows on Toonami on Cartoon Network in the early 2000s, which is where my interest in anime developed, and now know that at least some had content edited for American audiences. Although I do have an interest in anime, I really haven't done anything with it and admit that I still don't know too much about what all is out there. I just know that I like the art style enough that when I finally get into Japanese N scale, I want my layout to look like it's from an anime series. (How to pull that off, I have no idea; I imagine someone on this forum has attempted it before.) With that in mind, Rail Wars could be the perfect reference source for such a project.