What model would you most like to see re-released?

JR 500系

Claude_Dreyfus
Wow! I didn't even know they exist! That's a rare zero series!

No worries Claude! So you ordered from them? It's a smashing price, i would like to get it but it's way out of my region...

No, mine is coming from HS; a restock . I have made a note of this supplier however, so thanks.

i would guess the East i as i passed on it when it came out at the height of the yen value there and seemed way too expensive at the time. but after seeing it on the layout (one of our members got it) its really a beautiful train and very nicely detailed. I think i have just about every other inspection train in the collection so i thought i dont need another... oh well, theres alway room for one more train, right?

jeff

I guess being the new kid on the block, my wish list is tame compared to older modellers.  Kato Shinkansen 800 and some Koki freight cars would do me.  Still building my basic collect before aiming at the special stuff.

JR500 Nozomi,

Wow! I didn't even know they exist! That's a rare zero series! Any idea why there are two pantagraphs on one car?

Those 2 sets aren't 0系 sets though, they are 1000形 sets A and B.

The 1000形 A and B sets where built in 1962, and where designed as high speed test trains. They where designed to test the technology developed for the Shinkansen project by the R.T.R.I., both in terms of the train it's self as well as in regard to the infrastructure, and was also functioning as a proof of concept for the eventual production trains. though they did differ greatly from the eventual 0系, they did set the standard in a few areas (dimensions, driving system and a few others). even though they did belong to the same class, the two sets where different in a few ways,

-Set A was delivered as a 2 car formation and featured a distinctive 3 sided rounded windshield (cars 1001 and 1002)

-Set B was delivered as a 4 car formation and featured the same windshield on one side (car 1003) but a 4 sided version using flat panels on the other (car 1006) which looked closer to the eventual 0系 nose. (this set set the Japanese speed record at 256km/h in 1963), this set was also the first to use a full blue line around the windows.

For the production shinkansen it was decided to further develop the flat panel version, and abandon the rounded windscreen (guess the rounded windscreen proved too expensive/difficult to produce with 1960's technology).

When the first 0系0番台 production prototype formation, formation N1 (as a 6 car formation, she would be completed to full 12 car configuration in late October 1964), was delivered on the 2nd of March 1964 further testing on the Tōkaidō shinkansen continued with this formation, leaving both 1000形 formations out of work. In the summer of 1964 both sets where converted for other uses; Set A was to be used as a standby rescue train, and was reclassified as 941形. Set B became the very first inspection train, also known as the famous DR Yellow, and was reclassified as 922形0番台 and was used for a number of years on the shinkansen.

the 941形 fortunately never needed to be used, and basically became surplus early on, similar to the two standard gauge 911形 diesel locomotives. While 922形0番台 provided useful services but at the start of the 1970's she was starting to age, so a new 922形 formation (T2) was ordered to replace her. This new 922形10番台 was based on late production 0系0番台 technology and was delivered in 1974. She was joined in 1979 by a second 922形 (922形20番台) formation (T3) based on the 0系1000番台, both formations where retired in the 2000's (T2 in 2001 and T3 in 2005), but that's another story.

In 1975 it was decided to retire both formations. The reliability of the shinkansen had proven that there was no need for a special rescue train anymore, and there was a new DR Yellow on property so both formations could be disposed of. In 1976, with the first batches 0系0番台 cars reaching end-of-life (and much more to come) it was decided to built a dismantling line at the J.N.R. Hamamatsu facility to be able to efficiently handle the flow of cars to be disposed. For this purpose a number of jigs containing automatic circular saws where built, which would separate the roof and sidewalls from the frame which would then be sawed into smaller pieces by similar equipment. The facility was designed to scrap a car (from stripping till disposal) in 6 days*.

In order to test this facility before commissioning, All 6 former 1000形 cars where scrapped in November 1976 using the Hamamatsu "factory line" just before the first 0系 batches where to be scrapped in early 1977.

Unfortunately there's hardly anything left of the 1000形, a pantograph is displayed at the Railway Museum at Saitama, some models and a few photographs also survive. but that's about the only thing left of what turned out to be a pioneer...Speaking about pantographs, I assume they used a set either for testing or as backup in case of failure of one of the two (which seems likely to me, as the few pictures there are of this set show only a single pantograph being raised).

hope that helps :)

* for those interested in the subject I made a thread, including video, on the Hamamatsu scrap line, should still be on the forum (not a fun part of this hobby, but still interesting in my view).

as for the original question:

What model would you most like to see Re-release?

I would like to see the following re-released (though not everything at once as I don't think my budget can handle that :toothy12:) :

Kato: Nothing really, they re-release regularly in my main area of interest (don't need to explain I guess ;) )

Tomix:

- 92752 0系 (W)R formation in JR West Kodama livery (fresh green). This one is at the top of my list as it's very hard to find and usually very expensive. It would need to use the same tooling as the 'Sayanora 0系' (W)R formation though (shouldn't be hard they are exactly the same formations). common Tomix, 2014 should be the year of the 0系 (50th birthday)!

-92835 E1系 extension set. Sold out when I bought my E1系, feels kind of weird to have it incomplete.

- 0系 Sk/Yk (JR Tōkai Kodama) 12/16 car formation. on one hand I would like to see this set re-released, but on the other hand I don't. As it is now this set is prototypically incorrect in terms of the sub-types used (or rather those that aren't used) as these formations contained at least two 1000番台 cars, and most of the time a few late built 0番台 cars as well (Tomix produced only 2000番台 cars). Kato did much better in this regard with their Nh formation (they at least included a few, correct, 1000番台 cars), but even they omitted the 0番台 cars.

- 0系 Sk (JR West 'West hikari') would be great to add to the 0系 line up, if brought to the standard of their latest 0系 models. Though this would have to be numbered as formation Sk10 as this was the only formation matching the Tomix 0系2000/7000番台 cars.

MicroAce

-A0252/A0256 16 car 0系0番台 H formation. Representing a revision of the 16 car 0系 formations introduced in 1970, and introducing separate Hikari and Kodama formations, the 1974 revision proved to be quite successful. Though superseded by the introduction in 1976 of the ultimate Hikari configuration, introducing the 37形 buffet car (replacing the 35形, production of which was discontinued with the introduction of the 0系1000番台), the 1974 configuration (using a 27形, 35形 and 36形) stayed in service for quite a while, the last one retiring as late as 1991.

If MA where to use formation H82 (as opposed to H65 they've used, which is usable from 1974 till 1979 when her 35形 was replaced by a 37形) it could be used from 1975 till 1991, a nice range in my personal view. This set is at the top of my wishlist as well.

-A0493/A0494 12 car 0系0番台 N formation, representing the original 1964 formations (though the model is usable from 1965 till 1969 due to a few details).

-200系 F formation (F8) (shark nose), MA's version of one of the F formations using rebuilt 200系200番台 Shark Nose end cars would be great as well

-200系 F1~F21 formation (round nose), MA made a great rendition of a 'standard' 1993-2004/2007 F formation, the only downside being the use of a 1000番台 end car, when that is incorrect in relation to the formation used (F19) which had a 1500番台 end car (only F1~F3 had 1000番台 end cars).

-300系, both J and F formations.

-Both the J.N.R. and JR Tōkai versions of 922形10番台 T2 (DR Yellow)

-the mentioned model of the 1000形, the A set as 941形 rescue train, and set B as 922形0番台 T1 (DR Yellow)

Don't think all of them will happen this year, or at all, but it's good to be able to dream.

-Sander

• Like 3

Thank you Mr Sander! That is a fantastic piece of information! I didn't know so much about the 0系 until now! Thanks!

That's an interesting 200系! I saw in your avartar picture and was wondering is that a 100系 or a 200系? I knew the 100系 didn't come in green stripe, so it had to be a 200系, but the nose is identical to the 100系! Wondered how it would be able to differentiate from each other? Speaking of which, is the 200系 still running now, or have they all been retired? I know about the renewal colour and it used to run as a Yamabiko service or Nasuno services, but i don't know about now...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10048264

MicroAce

-200系 F formation (F8) (shark nose), MA's version of one of the F formations using rebuilt 200系200番台 Shark Nose end cars would be great as well

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
Thank you Mr Sander! That is a fantastic piece of information! I didn't know so much about the 0系 until now! Thanks!

That's an interesting 200系! I saw in your avartar picture and was wondering is that a 100系 or a 200系? I knew the 100系 didn't come in green stripe, so it had to be a 200系, but the nose is identical to the 100系! Wondered how it would be able to differentiate from each other? Speaking of which, is the 200系 still running now, or have they all been retired? I know about the renewal colour and it used to run as a Yamabiko service or Nasuno services, but i don't know about now...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10048264

no retire this year 2013/03/15

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/7169-2013315-200%E7%B3%BB-shinkansen-retired-from-active-service-jr-east/

by 200系

ah i forget another model

Tomix 200-2000 H Set 92625

but with power coupler and the double deck 248 and 249 cars

another sugestion it is make the 13 car set as well

kinda like this:

- 92625 set 6 cars + case with 4 cars + 6 more = 16 cars

- 92625                  + case with 4 cars + 3 more = 13 cars

mine set is missing 3 or 4 2826 cars :sad1: :crybaby2:

Edited by NuclearErick
The Next Station Is...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Sinus" data-cid="90760" data-time="1387449892"><p>

What is so special in series 300? I mean is MicroAce much better than e.g. Tomix in this case?</p></blockquote>

I'd be happy with the Tomix or MicroAce 300 series Shinkansen, as long as I can get all 16 cars in one go. Already on my secondhand wish list for the next trip to Japan though!

Guest keio6000

got one: Tomix Tokyu 5000 series set.  rarely sells for less than JPY 40,000 for this 5-car set.  No real reason for it to.  Presumably, tomix has the tooling and is just sitting on it.

post-1532-0-33193100-1387699815_thumb.jpg

post-1532-0-78666400-1387699831_thumb.jpg

post-1532-0-38250300-1387699834_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What I would like to see re-released:

253 Narita Express 

E655 Nagomi - KATO

Series 100  (Fresh Green color) - TOMIX

and the list goes on lol there is just somany items I would love to see re-released.

Sarah Brennan-Dunn

Guest keio6000

253 Narita Express 

This one is particularly easy to find on the secondary market.  If you're interested in it, consider buying it via yahoo japan auctions.  They are quite reasonably priced due to the large number of sellers (though I just checked and coincidentally right now there are not that many).  This model is I think highly unlikely to ever be re-released by either kato or tomix and i suspect it's not high on MicroAce's "to do" list, either.

As far as the requests for "fresh green" trains go, I hope that all of you who are asking for that already have a microace renewal 200 in your lineup - a much cooler train, in my view and while it doesn't photograph well, in person, a lovely model:

102674-2.jpg

I would like Tama Train and Ichigo train (tomytec train collection). Bandai has them in B-Train size, but I would like the normal ones and I don't find them anywhere.

Cheers,

Dani.

I would really love to see a proper Keihan Type 600 Film `K-on!` Wrapping Train (After School Tea Time Train) Two Car Set to be done not by PLATZ but either KATO or Tomix. If MicroACE does it then I would like to see that their couplings can be changed.

i second that IST! been trying to get mine to work better, but still very cranky. my hoedi also had a small melt down (alway ran very hot) and part of the shell surrounding the motor has sagged a little bit due to the heat. one of the universal joints also came loose from the motor shaft (probably overheating) but this was fixed with a little CA glue...

jeff

but in a revised, rethought, re...etc. version.

And maybe made by tomix? Their articulated tram mechanisms seem to work better than modemo's green mover.

I would like Tama Train and Ichigo train (tomytec train collection). Bandai has them in B-Train size, but I would like the normal ones and I don't find them anywhere.

Cheers,

Dani.

Hi fellow painted train fan Dani! Yap i hope to see these two too but i think it's impossible, since i've yet to hear of Tomytec Railway Collection being re-release..

253 Narita Express 

E655 Nagomi - KATO

Series 100  (Fresh Green color) - TOMIX

and the list goes on lol there is just somany items I would love to see re-released.

Sarah Brennan-Dunn

Yes another note for the Nagomi! Thanks Sarah~

For the E253, i think it'll be very tough, since the E253 in the similar livery has been transferred to Nagano Electric for their 3-car consists for the Snow Monkey:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10212296

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10212297

And the models are still available, so doubtful the E253 will be given a re-release. However, as Keio6000 has stated, there are a couple of used sets for sale. I found two Tomix basic sets up for sale at Popondetta: http://www.popondetta.jp/asp/cgi-bin/shop.php?forward=gds_inf&back_screen=gds_srh&stock_no=571E010106101742

Not too expensive, but not cheap either. However, getting on Yahoo Auctions might prove cheaper if you're lucky, but need to factor in other misc costs that might add up...

It was. I preordered that, as I am very curious how it will work. We will see, maybe in March.

This type of tram runs best when the whole chassis is vertically rigid, the bogies can't turn, but can pivot forward and back and side to side.

(While the 2 section one runs best when the chassis is vertically rigid, one of the bogies can't turn, but can pivot and the other one can turn and pivot. A tram like the green mover would run best when the connection between the first two and the last two sections are vertically rigid and the bogies can't turn but can pivot, while the central bogie completly fixed to the chassis but connected to it's neighbours with both horizonally and vertically flexible connections. This way the sections can't sag and would remain straight even on hilly terrain.)

Sorry for being unoriginal but I too would love the Kato E655 Nagomi re-released ideally with the limited edition Royal car that Kato did for the Train Model contest 2013 that was missing from the original. tominubianHide posted a nice video of unboxing his Royal car on Youtube. Lucky guy.

I have just ordered Kato 10-221 E3 Komachi as with them retiring soon, I feel Kato may not reproduce this again for a while.  I have also ordered the 10-1140 581 series Legend Collection as I have struggled to find all of the cars to produce a 12 car 583 series.

I was very fortunate to find the 10-855 Fuji blue train Basic set last year. None of the UK or Japanese suppliers (Tam Tam, HSJ) could obtain one. I visited the Kato Hobby shop in Osaka and they kindly reserved me the last one in the Kato Hobby shop in Tokyo. God bless the JR rail pass. 2 years I had been trying to find this.

Thanks for the vote to Nagomi Kamome! 

Yes the JR Pass should be blessed and NEVER be removed! It's about the best thing to happen to Rail fans like us!

Should, or can we, write in a petition to Kato to re-release the Nagomi? Haha ~~