What model would you most like to see re-released?

JR 500系

10 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Japanese stuff in general is never really "currently in production". They announce stuff for month x, start producing it in month x-1 and when the production run is sold out the item is sold out until the next re-release.

I think I understand that. It seems that the last time manufacturers were making steam locomotives was in 2017. Any idea when they might get back to it?

Today reservations started for the Kato YO 5000, but no word on the YO 3500. From what I understand, Hokkaido never converted their YO 3500 to YO 5000.

(Grumble, grumble)

Kato has been popping out a couple steamers a year steadily. Kato C62 and C57 are currently available. Tomix has not done new steam in the last four years or so. Microace has also not done a lot in the last few years but that may be due to them having production/factory issues in China over that period and steam of all things needs the most attention in production. The disruption in model train production in China the last 5 or 6 years I can see as hitting steam the hardest, but there are still nice ones coming out from Kato (produced in japan) and of course world kougi, but those are costly!

usually a good amount of the past produced steamers on ebay and many times they go for a good price and I’ve had good luck with all the used and like new ones I’ve purchased there. There is always yahoo.jp auctions as well to get what you may want from the past. May be a bit more but it’s the tradeoff here of either having a wide selection over time that are in stock for shorter times (usually 6-12 months or sometimes sold out at release) or slimmer selection in stock for longer periods. Japanese retail market generally tends to the former as well so that’s the way of japanese trains. If something comes up and you want it order it as it may not be there in a week or month and then you will need to go on the secondary market to find it and maybe more costly later.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

Some steam engines get run a couple of times a year but usually relevant to a specific train. They tend to go quickly so when they get announced, get on the preorders. The 8620 was a prime example and sold through pretty fast. But the consist modelled was a triple headed freight from Tohoku so perhaps many bought 3 to replicate this. 

I don’t know if production run size is smaller for these things or they are just popular.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a release of an E1 Shinkansen and a 400 Series Shinkansen. My reason is that I'm just trying to complete my Shinkansen Bingo card. Does anyone have an opinion about how likely or not any near future releases might be?

• Like 2
On 7/3/2021 at 11:25 AM, gavino200 said:

I'd like to see a release of an E1 Shinkansen and a 400 Series Shinkansen. My reason is that I'm just trying to complete my Shinkansen Bingo card. Does anyone have an opinion about how likely or not any near future releases might be?

A KATO 400 with compatible nose coupler to the E4 would make my life so much easier 😭 And a re release of the E1 with a standard and Toki version would be excellent too.  

• Like 1

KATO E2 0 “Asama” with updated tooling and formation numbers applied to the front window glass 

(does anyone know where I can find “N” formation decals for the existing set?) 

I wouldn't mind Micro Ace doing a re-release of the Kushiro Wetlands Norokko DE10 and Series 50 https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10047427. According to Raillab and pictures uploaded to google maps it is still running (although under a different name -Kushiro Evening Sun Norokko?). Also I know they did a new production of the Furano Biei Norokko train last year so maybe...

image.thumb.png.0c621751441c95b5847e0e3e90027dce.png

I know Tomix ran a competition a while back where they produced several different DE10's used by different tourist trains (and the Kushiro Wetlands Norokko was one), and the winner would have the corresponding coaches included, but unfortunately it didn't win and I don't see Tomix producing them now.

39 minutes ago, Kamome said:

With Kato releasing the EF30s again in March 2022, which is very welcome, it would be even nicer if they did another run of the EF81-300 in the same year. (3067-1) These were last released in 2011 so it is about time they got another look. 

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/ef81_300

Been scanning yahoo for years at that model. Probably should have hit the buy button years ago.

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, katoftw said:

Been scanning yahoo for years at that model. Probably should have hit the buy button years ago.

I hate it when that happens!

50 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I hate it when that happens!

Always been 1 up to 3 available at any time. Bit selling for full retail or maybe 10% more. Plus proxy buyer fees and 2x shipping. Has made me buy other stuff first.

3 hours ago, JR East said:

For me that's clear, as of they release it again, I'll purchase the  Kato Kiha Serie 85. I rod it in 2010. It is out of stock at the kato boutique, at RGR ... 

wonder if they ever sold a grade up kit for this one as I have the first release with very dim lights

46 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

wonder if they ever sold a grade up kit for this one as I have the first release with very dim lights

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/schedule/pdf/201906070953235cf9b583d4cc8/10-1404_10-1405_[kiha85kei_hida_nanki].pdf

I think you should be able to swap out the dimmer lights from the previous set (assumingly 10-316) if you can get the headlight part from the above parts list (4595-1G). I recall getting the motor too to make the set able to run separately...

9 minutes ago, JR East said:

In the ASSY they mentioned KATO 11-223 as led set. Anyway, option is to check whether https://hktilc.com/ are fitting to your needs

I was talking about the front/closing lights. These are as far as I know totally different than the light board they use currently (back then they have these huge LED's rather than the modern ones, thus the entire light assembly is different).

Also, these older models came with interior lighting. KATO 11-223 (which is the same light set that they use now, but then sold separately) pop into a little hole to keep them affixed. HKTILC does not sell compatible light sets, so you are stuck with the KATO ones unless you do something creative with glue/soldering.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:20 PM, Kamome said:

With Kato releasing the EF30s again in March 2022, which is very welcome, it would be even nicer if they did another run of the EF81-300 in the same year. (3067-1) These were last released in 2011 so it is about time they got another look. 

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/ef81_300

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10139065

Yours and my wish is granted

• Like 1
7 hours ago, katoftw said:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10139065

Yours and my wish is granted

Awesome news and great to see the JNR 24 series Fuji formation being released at the same time. It’s quite an impressive looking train, although they don’t seem to be doing the lobby car for the full 15 formation this time. Possibly due later.

The 14 car Wamu sets will look pretty impressive, slightly tempted by the blue JR era ones as 2 sets would make a pretty awesome display snaking around the track. I already have an old EF66-100 bought used in the UK. Runs super slow and smooth.

And a new blue and cream microwave.

Staring to get more interesting for 2022.

As there are obviously Kato spies reading the forum:

10-456, 157系 Imperial train also needs a re-release!!!!

Edited by Kamome