What model would you most like to see re-released?

JR 500系

Patiently waiting on a rerun for KATO 10-1447 Shikishima and 10-869/870 Twilight express.

Does anyone have any speculation on what Tomix's next PG product would be? It's been a while since they released Mizukaze. First two PG products were great in details, I'm tempted to see what they have up their sleeves for the next one.

I guess the Luxury trains have been well and truly done. Unless JR Central or JR Hokkaido plan to join the party, I doubt we’ll not see a similar release for a bit..

I also missed out on the Kato Shikishima and kind of regret not getting one, from a completion point of view. I have the 88’ Orient Express, Mizukaze, 7 stars, Nagomi and JNR Royal train. 

I’d like to see another run of the SL 8620, as well as updated 9600 and C58. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

88’ Orient Express

How can I forget about the Orient Express, waiting on that as well. Just got the Pullman 4158 Hakone preservation car, have to say those cars look amazing. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, lukewang01 said:

How can I forget about the Orient Express, waiting on that as well. Just got the Pullman 4158 Hakone preservation car, have to say those cars look amazing. 

Even though they use Rapido couplers, with buffers and longish diaphragms, they have very little space between coaches. Definitely a very well presented set. 

• Like 1

I am wondering how would they classify luxury trains? They would definitely include cruise trains, but do they also view tourist trains as good candidates for a PG product?

Cruise trains (Seven Stars, Mizukaze, Shikishima)

Offering trips for more than one day, and can sleep on board. 

Doesn't operate on a regular schedule(daily).

Tourist trains (Yufuin no Mori, Hayato no Kaze etc).

Offers a scenic ride along the line usually within one day, can't sleep on board.

Operates regularly.

Also now that I think about it, there is also JR Kyushu's new train 36+3 that hasn't been announced by any model manufactures yet, along with Tomix's West Express Ginga. 

Personally speaking, I'm really hoping Tomix would make E261 Sahpir Odoriko a PG product. 

Edited by lukewang01

If it has a cafe or a kitchen, and is reserved seat only. I call that lux.

Seven stars has kitchen and is res only.

Yufuin no mori has cafe and res only seating. Both lux.

Hayato no Kaze had only a simple trolley cart and some non reserved seating. Not lux.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 36+3 is an easy update for Kato as they’ve made various versions, (window variations etc..) of the 787. There might be some slight design alterations needed.  It’s another of Eiji Mitooka’s creations along with the Seven Stars, Royal Train amongst others.

I was hoping Tomix would have made the JR Kyushu Sweet Train by now too as there was a Pura-rail version so Takara Tomy obviously had the license. 

Interestingly I read that Mitooka designed the original 787 and always wanted it to be black. JR Kyushu said trains can’t be black and it was painted grey instead. He finally got his way!!

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 2

Please dont release the 36+3 or the Nintendo 323 series or else i would seriously need to consider exporting even more trains.....  😭

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

@Kamomewhy can’t Kyushu trains be black? Heat? I guess this doesn’t count for joyful trains then?

I assume the bigwigs at JR Kyushu thought it wasn’t appropriate for their trains. Although the Ibusuki no Tamatebako is half painted black. The information didn’t go into detail as to why, just that it was initially rejected when the 787 was designed.

43 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

I doubt kato wants to pay for the Nintendo license... or that Tomix wants to deal with Nintendo?

Might get a character named after them after the inevitable lawsuit.

• Haha 1

Think the Kato 700T is going to be my new ‘I hope Kato does another run’ train, finding a set through eBay, Buyee, Yahoo auction is very very difficult 😞 

Guy

• Like 1

Actually 2018 was the last run of the  Kato 700T.

“Last” as in the most recent production.

Edited by Kamome
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

I know I just saw it on Twitter, I can’t believe how lucky I am haha.

I genuinely thought I’d be waiting a year or two before they announce it 🤩

cannot wait to watch the 700T prices on auctions tumble lol.

Guy

7 minutes ago, GCS said:

cannot wait to watch the 700T prices on auctions tumble lol.

Yeah and the faces on those who bought these sets from auctions at sky rocket prices ~~~

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Yeah and the faces on those who bought these sets from auctions at sky rocket prices ~~~

I very, VERY nearly kept bidding on an auction last week for a 12 car set, it hit 45,000 yen and I had to walk away, including fees, delivery and tax it was crazy at that price, let alone the 66,000 yen it went for 🤐

Guy

• Like 1

I may very well have to succumb to an 800. Certainly a lot safer than previous years.

Is Super Rail Cargo a luxury train now?

I think it should come in a box sleeve that looks like a Sagawa container.

Although looks like they’re doing just the newer containers as a regular sold part. Buying 28 containers (14packs) to update an older version would set you back quite a bit. Maybe just better buying the new train. And they are pretty awesome things!!

roadstar_na6

Japanese stuff in general is never really "currently in production". They announce stuff for month x, start producing it in month x-1 and when the production run is sold out the item is sold out until the next re-release.