kvp's layout ideas and attempts

kvp

A bit of progress on the ttrak modules: the catenary is up
post-1969-0-22889500-1491643829.jpg
I've used 3 different types, kato double track narrow and wide and tgw single track.

post-1969-0-22889500-1491643829_thumb.jpg

Edited by kvp
  • Like 5

Ttrak progress:

post-1969-0-98381600-1494410840.jpg

(two buildings are only represented by their foundations, one more is completly missing along with the catenary masts, while most of the styrene parts are still unpainted, the video display should go between the two brick buildings facing the platforms)

ps: the grassy module on the left is half of the new industrial siding

post-1969-0-98381600-1494410840_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nice. Will that module be a part of a quad-length station setup? Looks like something I also would like to make at some point. Elevated stations just have a certain charm.

Yes, it's half of my 4 standard modules long new station. The other side is not elevated but runs mostly in a cutting. (tunnel - level crossing - platform in cutting - platform in shallow tunnel - elevated platform - bridge)

Yes, it's half of my 4 standard modules long new station. The other side is not elevated but runs mostly in a cutting. (tunnel - level crossing - platform in cutting - platform in shallow tunnel - elevated platform - bridge)

Ah yes I see now (from the photos above). Very neat transition concept! It reminds me of some of the Tōkyū Den'entoshi line station setups (and similar 70s lines) where the planners just placed a station anywhere they'd deem convenient and efficient. :)

A draft for future plans using single and double length, narrow ttrak modules for a yard and a terminus:

(the orange pieces represent 20 meter cars for size reference)

post-1969-0-08716200-1497978316.png

ps: Yes, i belive that ttrak could be used for running point to point traffic and would like to try running a larger point to point layout with more people. (in theory, at least one operator is need for each station with at least controller for each direction using analog control only)

post-1969-0-08716200-1497978316_thumb.png

• Like 6

ps: Yes, i belive that ttrak could be used for running point to point traffic and would like to try running a larger point to point layout with more people. (in theory, at least one operator is need for each station with at least controller for each direction using analog control only)

I completely agree with this idea! It would be limited to a group of people who would be interested enough in doing the same (participating and/or operating). With an automated system (ATC or an adaption of the in-development Tomix TSC), it would reduce the number of operators to one or two, though that would take away the fun of operation for those interested. A 6-car maximum sounds good as well.

A draft for future plans using single and double length, narrow ttrak modules for a yard and a terminus:

(the orange pieces represent 20 meter cars for size reference)

You can put another sidings into the lower section.

I should build half of your idea plus control it (and you should the another half), so we could send trains to each other on the modules.

• Like 1

This is just an early draft, but having two terminuses and a few stops (maybe even with bypass sidings) would imho add a lot of possibilities for operation. The depot on the plan is for rotating trains at the terminus. A similar 2 or 3 track station would go on the other end. (with or without a depot as that could even be placed in the middle.

I considered the atc system, but the cab control system of tomix is better as the throttles follow the trains. The only downside is the number of sensor tracks it needs. Occupation based sensing is even worse as it requires twice as many blocks and still not precise enough. In short, having full manual control and one block between each station would be ok for the first try.

I'm still thinking about the crossover. For maximum flexibility, it should have its own module but i'm not sure. (also we might need two as both ends of the line need some way to allow crossing over between the up and down tracks)

Two and a half months ago i ordeed a few Tomix 0742 3 color signals. These are just the masts from the automatic signal sets. Today, i finally received them, (3 days shipping with EMS and the rest to get from the airport to my local post office)

[ 0742 ] TCS 3 Colors Signal Pillar

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10405410

The masts have a 4 pin connector on the bottom, with one common supply and 3 ground pins, one for each led. If you face the leds, the connector pinout looks like this: [red, yellow, green, common supply] I could not see any limiting resistor or protection diode on the circuit board, so it's likely drivable from 3V to 12V (but i have to test this) with the proper limiting resistors. The mast itself is 2 clip together plastic pieces and a small green pcb board with the 3 leds that from the back, look to be through hole ones and the 4 pin connector socket on the bottom, that seems like a very similar type used for 6 pin dcc decoders. (a small sized standard pcb connector) This probably allows installing the signal anywhere and driving it with an active low signal.

Has anyone used them without their automatic bases? I plan to use them as interlocked entry and exit signals for ttrak, but it looks like driving them from the new Tomix control unit would also be very simple.

Yes. I have started testing one on my layout, without the base as it is DCC. I have reached the same conclusion about the pinout of the 4-pin connector. I use my own DIY controller for the LEDs. But I am still looking for the mating 4-pin connector. Any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The socket on the bottom is the same type used for 6 pin dcc decoders, so the same pins are needed that are used on 6 pin dcc decoders.

I bought these at my nearest electronics part shop:

post-1969-0-63454300-1499926084.jpg

Basically just add wires, drill a hole, glue in the pins and stick the signal on top. Just be careful as reverse installation is possible and that would destroy the signal.

post-1969-0-63454300-1499926084_thumb.jpg

Edited by kvp

Yes, you are right. The pitch is standard so it's 1.27mm.

Actually I was hoping to find the same shrouded connector as on the base, but it's not easy...

post-3970-0-18712000-1499954018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Madsing

Thinking about the new Tomix yard, i decided to draw a compact variant of the common ladder. To my surprise, the overall storage capacity is actually less than the normal one, but the track lenghts are better balanced, which is better for multiple unit yards that house trains of mostly equal length.

compact_yard-20170907-1.thumb.png.f3a4d3c6092a33f546e89a2c374ee0e5.png

And something really over the top:

huge_yard-20170907-1.thumb.png.a81164b877b6397bc012d92dac53114e.png

Edited by kvp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow... can I just say that I find KVP san really proficient with track planning! These plans look mighty interesting, and he is always generous to share!

Cheers!

I was thinking about how to wire up my still not quite ready ttrak terminus station (see above) and decided to try creating a somewhat japanese style control board.

The setup is the following:
-a crossover with an entry signal
-three tracks, with one island and one side platform
 (created by using a single turnout to branch off one track from the standard ttrak straight track position)
-three starter signals, one for each track

This means there are 6 possible routes, 3 arrival and 3 departure. The mode of operation, arrival/stop/departure should be selectable with a single 3 positon rotary switch (instead of using 4 two positon rotarys), while track selection is done by 3 pushbuttons. The resulting operation is that the station controller selects the direction and then one of the tracks. To cancel the route, the rotary is turned back to the middle to select stop.

The implementation (in theory) should have one route holding relay for each route, with the rotary used as an enable/release switch. The buttons should activate the route relays, while the rotary decides which one should be used out of the two assigned for each track, depending on the selected direction. The route holding relays should also cut power to the other two in the same direction and have a route selected output, so with the self holding, 4 circuit double throw relays are needed. The route selected outputs could directly drive the starter signals, while the entry signal could be driven through a diode matrix and an auxiliary relay, very much like the two turnouts, where two single circuit morse relays could drive the two bipolar capacitor discharge drives for the turnout motors. This would allow two turnout override rotarys to be added with center position as route select and left and right as straight and diverging, but this is not really required for such a simple setup.

Finally we have the problem of analog traction power. There are two power sources, the inner and outer track of ttrak, having one controller each. Arrival selects the inner, while departure selects the outer track (the buffers are on the right). In this setup, the crossover is isolated on all 4 ends and both loops fed with a single power source. (removing this Y feed splits it into two to serve as a normal crossover between two loops) The station tracks have two feed points, one for track 1 (outer loop) and a shared one for track 2 and 3 (ttrak inner loop), routed by the left handed turnout. The control logic must use the 6 route selected signals to take power from either the arrival or the departure line (2 two circuit morse relays) or none in stop state. This must be routed to track 1 for two routes and the common feed point of track 2 and 3 for the other four routes (another 2 two circuit morse relays), so a small diode matrix is required here too.

In overall, 1 three position rotary, 3 momentary pushbuttons and lots (6+3+4) of various relays are required to drive 2 turnouts (crossover, left handed), 4 signals (one entry, 3 starter) and 4 blocks (crossover and 3 station tracks). No ATS is used, trains must stop under driver control at the entry signal and before the buffer stops.

This is my idea so far and i'm still looking into making this a bit more simple, while keeping the 1 rotary, 3 pushbutton interface for ease of control. Also thinking about how to add shunting mode so trains could also leave wrong way towards the yard (a two state switch might be enough for this).

I have a question too: What kind of starter signals should i use? For entry, a 2 color signal seems ok or a 3 color one with only red and yellow in use (i have a few of this type). I'm thinking about both the type (shape, location, mounting) and the signal aspects that i should use for the starting signals.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

A friend of mine asked about the feasability of ttrak for a hungarian branchline setting (single track and diesel only). I drew the following 'home layout' idea for him, composed of 4 ttrak corners and 4 full depth, double length station segments for two small stations. (The grey/red tracks next to the stations are typical hungarian coach/locomotive lengths for checking the maximal usable station track lengths, also red roof = staton buildings, grey roof = freight buildings.)

hun_ttrak.thumb.png.2069b33e426427397a24ca02d6fdae48.png

Ha those pcb connectors are a neat idea! about a 4x4 and the little tip cutoffs are like more decorative post tops to prevent water pooling and look nicer. Also sturdier than styrene or basswood in that size so can ram them in with players into drilled holes. Getting square stock metals that size isn’t easy either. Nice job.

what are you going to use for fencing material? 

jeff

Edited by cteno4
17 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

so can ram them in with players into drilled holes. Getting square stock metals that size isn’t easy either. Nice job.

what are you going to use for fencing material? 

Actually they are inserted from below and are till on their plastic spacers. This makes them aligning easier. Also they are superglued in from both sides. :)

The fencing will be copper air filter mesh cut at 45 degrees, painted first then glued onto the posts. I did the gluing first on two of my ttrak modules and it's a pain to paint it installed. Also i installed the mesh alternating the posts (that's really strong but not quite right), but here i'll try single sided with all posts towards the tracks.

My progress with these modules is absolutely glacial.