kvp's layout ideas and attempts

kvp

Ah, very cool. I'm unfamiliar with the N-PXR140-15/N-PXL140-15 points.

I thought those were simple crossings but they're double slips.

But you actually only have one crossing, the X72.5-30.

I like it!

You could probably do it with a diode matrix momentary push button, assuming no one would hold the button down.  Knowing KVP's skills an arduino relay control would probably be much simpler however.  The largest complication is the routing via double slip switches mean that two separate routes can overlap, which makes doing the control by electromechinical logic much more complicated.

12 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I wonder if a capacitor discharge matrix circuit could be done to do each track routing.

Actually the correct way would be to use a self holding realy circuit to set a route with a pushbutton, that also locks out conflicting routes. Then a diode matrix powers a single pole double throw morse relay for each turnout which powers the series capacitor drive for the turnout coil.

It's possible to use two 6 position rotary switches instead of the self holding relay parts. The diode matrix, capacitor drive relay part remains.

10 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

The largest complication is the routing via double slip switches mean that two separate routes can overlap, which makes doing the control by electromechinical logic much more complicated.

The funny part is than when at least one of the leftmost turnouts are set to diverging, there is a conflict. (either on the crossover or on one of the double slips) The lockout only has to check for those two simple turnouts and lock the 2nd request from being accepted. It's just a simple electromagnetic OR (using two relays or diodes) and then two ANDs for the request disable relay of the other route. Also activating both routes at the exact same time would drop both requests.

ps: also doable in software but relays are more fun...

Also just an easy control board go down the line selecting the route in or out, but does not handle potential conflict permutations if there are any.

the crossovers look to abolish any common rail issues with two transformers.

jeff

Edited by cteno4

It seems japanese rail companies prefer multiple units to loco hauled trains for passenger traffic and a really rare sight is a loco hauled push-pull train with a control car. While it's not completly unheard of, it's rare. On the other hand, i have nice 50 and 12 series trains and a few matching locomotives, but these require runaround and rather hard to operate from a terminus station without runaround tracks, but this type of station is really common in Japan and even i have a ttrak one. To my surprise i found out that some 50 series cars were rebuilt as cab cars and even ran with DE10 locomotives in push-pull mode. So i took a standard ohafu50 that was on sale and added a headlight to make it an okuhafu.

The conversion just required drilling a hole for the headlight, adding a spare lens from a Tokyo tram kit, adding a white led to the tail light panel (by removing the diode and adding the led parallel but reverse to the red led) and cutting a hole above the resistor cover in the internal insert so the white led could get thrugh, then lightproofing the led with a black lack felt tip pen. The original on/off switch for the taillight is still working and switches the new headlight too and the original 1500 ohm resistor was also kept and serves both leds.

DSC02753.thumb.JPG.dc986fba85ffd70417f70b128ebef117.JPG

DSC02754.thumb.JPG.f6edb63163ea6648ba9ac014d04e537b.JPG

DSC02757.thumb.JPG.b2604a581f50532222b09e930facfa9e.JPG

DSC02761.thumb.JPG.9087f4215db81f97dd714382b9ab1cc9.JPG

• Like 3