kvp's layout ideas and attempts

kvp

This circuit is for the pc game port version of the controller. I'll plan to make another one for a console based controller (for myself). When that works too, then i could probably make a few copies for forum members who have one of the supported type of controllers. (so far i managed to identify 5 different controller types, all look similar but they have completly different circuits and interfaces)

• Like 1

I have to say that this thing is really cool. Yesterday we tried it in the club and I was impressed. It worked great with my MoHa 2000 type tram, but it will be much fun to run Shinkansens with this device. Thanks kvp for doing this for me, I appreciate your effort!

As a holiday project i managed to put together a small automation circuit. It uses 4 Tomix TCS sensors and drives two trains at the same time on a small 3 station 'layout'. On the video, you can (barely) see the main circuit and two smaller ones. The small ones are simple diode ladder speed limiters and became surplus from a different (club) project. They could (should) be replaced with more sophisticated slow start/slow stop controllers. The main circuit is made out of a PIC16F506 microcontroller and an L293D dual H bridge motor driver chip. The latter is used as a 2 channel single direction DC motor controller and as a bipolar turnout coil driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONlPQjF86Bg

• Like 4

I managed to get a few tomytec train collection items thanks to Nariichi and today i had a little time to open the box and assemble the first one. This is a kumoni 143-5 in shonan color. Since i plan to run it together with my 169 series express that is also in shonan color, i had to connect them. Most of the time i use rapidos, but my Tomix 169 series has close couplers. This meant that i had to install Tomix 0336 close couplers on the Tomytec train. (and metal wheels, working pantographs, weight, etc.) Fortunately the imitation can be pulled off and the close coupler just snaps into place to the 4 studs on the sides of both ends. The result is a nice car that could be run with Tomix high grade sets. (the translucent head/tail lighting inserts are also present, but since i plan to upgrade the 169 series from bulbs to leds too i didn't get any headlight kits this time)

post-1969-0-74966000-1426087440.jpg

(left side: imitation couplers, right side: close couplers, the wheels and pantographs are still plastic)

post-1969-0-05749100-1426087450.jpg

(assembled, metal wheels, working metal pantographs and close coupler installed)

post-1969-0-74966000-1426087440_thumb.jpg

post-1969-0-05749100-1426087450_thumb.jpg

Edited by kvp
Is this something like a track inspection vehicle?

This is a kumoni freight motor car. They were used for luggage and freight in the past and often run together with normal passenger emu-s. Noways the remaining ones are used for rolling stock transfer and maintenance of way duties. Some of the more modern ones are equipped with cranes that allow loading and unloading at track level without extra equipment and platforms. This one was oiriginally a 101 series cab motor car. The nice thing about them is that you can run them as standalone units or couple it to any 1xx series emu.

The same car type in luggage service with something like a 11x series train:

http://js3vxw.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/jnr_kumoya_etc/jnr_kumoni143_2.html

Tomytec has headlight kits?

No, but Tomix does. Actually the close couplers are replacement parts for Tomix high grade sets, but the cheap Tomytec cars are plug and play compatible with them. I would need the headlights made for a 113 or 115 series standard grade emu, but i will probably make a scratchbuilt version, since it's relatively easy to solder 4 leds and two resistors onto a circuit board. Most of the Tomix parts are pretty much mix and match, so for example i used Tomytec parts to repair/upgrade Tomix and Arnold rolling stock made in the eary 80-ies.

• Like 2

good link there, some random clicking turned up a KUMORU 145, I've seen these on private railways but I'm not sure I'd ever seen the JNR version before. http://js3vxw.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/jnr_kumoya_etc/jnr_kumoru145_16.html .  According to wikipedia, at least 4 formations survived until the last 10 years or so, JR West still has one set assigned to Kyoto Depot, which according to another article doesn't exist anymore :(.

Nice! These luggage cars have some weird, but attractive atmosphere surrounding them. IIRC the Iida line used them extensively until the bitter end.

good link there, some random clicking turned up a KUMORU 145, I've seen these on private railways but I'm not sure I'd ever seen the JNR version before. 

Keisei being one of the culprits?

kie_101101_.JPG

Today i managed to assemble two 123 series cars. They were 143 series baggage cars that were converted to passenger cars with sideways type seating for the Hanwa line. Originally i planned to use rapido couplers but i gave a try adding close couplers to this set too. (because i got a 6 pack of them instead of 2) To my surprise they work and not just to reduce the gap, but to completly eliminate it like on any high grade set. I left the original imitation couplers on the other ends, so i still have two as spares. It's easy to put them on or remove them, so it's possible to swap between rapidos and close couplers relatively fast.

post-1969-0-13336900-1426276972.jpg

post-1969-0-19168700-1426276976.jpg

post-1969-0-48497700-1426276979.jpg

The prototype in action around 1995 with a 103 series trailer in the middle:

post-1969-0-16129600-1426277712.jpg

post-1969-0-13336900-1426276972_thumb.jpg

post-1969-0-19168700-1426276976_thumb.jpg

post-1969-0-48497700-1426276979_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Fortunately i had a bit of time to do some actual work on my small modular layout.

Here are the plans for the two end modules:

post-1969-0-22043800-1431244527_thumb.png

And the current state with the module connectors in place:

post-1969-0-49015600-1431244533_thumb.jpg

Since i already have all the required track pieces for the end modules, it looks like i can finally start to assemble and wire up everything, including the 4 sensors for the automated loop control. 3 turnouts will be motorised, the rest are manual. If it works as intended, i can later extend the layout in the middle.

• Like 1

A small japanese traction line, with shorter (12-18m) high floor units on the mainline, low floor trams running in the town area and freight service with smaller locomotives. The idea is to use the oval on the right as the tram track with street running on the top left and shared track on the right. The two ballon loops provide the route for the mainline with one stop at the left and right edges and a planned two track station on the middle module. One of the yards is for the trams/emus and the other will be an industrial siding for the freight cars that can be used as an extra storage yard. The ballon loops allow the possibility of a continous run with 4 TCS sensors that automatically set the two loop turnouts. This means the operator has to control only the manual turnouts for shunting and the mainline/oval branch point as the only driver operated remote turnout.

ps: I don't know when will i have the time to set up the tracks, but hopefully within a few days as i would like to see it run for some time now. The buildings are mostly assembled too, so imho the terrain will be the biggest task.

kvp - It looks like a nice design for the layout....I very curious to see how the 4 TCS sensors work on the reverse loop....In the future I hope you post a video.

kvp - very impressive....reverse loops is something I've always avoided because at the time I was modeling I wasn't sure to the automations and manually switching didn't appeal to me.....well done!

A small Z scale layout with Rokuhan tracks:

post-1969-0-81875200-1434929541.png

And some testing in real life:

post-1969-0-97427700-1434929549.jpg

The fact that Rokuhan followed the Maerklin track geometry and their small radius turnouts are hacked into the Maerklin system, makes it hard to use a bit more unique geometries. The radius of the turnouts are not quite the same as the curves and you can't build a full circle from the turnouts or their equivalent curves. (thanks to them being 26 degrees) However the layout above do combines them while managing to get the longest station possible for a given length.

Isolating and power routing station tracks 2 and 3 was a problem, so i followed katoftw-s advice and added isolation to the two outer rails on both tracks. Since Rokuhan doesn't make isolating joiners i had to use Maerklin ones. The result is that the through tracks can be powered from both sides when the two stub tracks are not selected and powered from the side of their stub when they are selected. This means the layout can be controlled fully with the power routing turnouts, without block control.

Since each turnout only comes with a pre cut straight piece and i have the straight tracks on the diverging side, i had to file some tracks to fit. This is when i'm reminded to the simplicity and ease of use of the N scale Tomix track system that manages to avoid cutting ballasted tracks.

I had to redesign the top part a few times, as some rolling stock (like the small 2 axle german railbuses) didn't like sharp S curves at this radius. 

As you can see, the tracks and the plan are not marching, so it's still a long way before i can start installing the tracks on the actual baseboard, but at least i know that this layout idea is viable.

post-1969-0-81875200-1434929541_thumb.png

post-1969-0-97427700-1434929549_thumb.jpg

• Like 1