SAL Shipping

cteno4

Interesting Walthers getting into Japanese trains. (Not a wise idea). Clearly, their doing the math. But, will they buy from them? Way back in 1983 they stopped publishing their O scale catalog so as to no doubt steer more people into HO & N. Hence, wonder if their guru on trends is telling them HO days are coming to an end. As ya gotta wonder if their going to relocate their business to another state when their state mandates their raising the minimum wage to $11 an hour. A bit like how Illinois is going to. Superb detailed model trains from China, but sold at a hefty price. A bit like when a Japanese magazine told all their readers about Micro-Mark in the USA. Suddenly, everything in their catalog went up in price. Those On3 Forney, made in China went from $55 To $225. Of course, just about everything is made in China now days. Gee, wonder why Model Railroad sales are in the toilet in the USA or are they? Wages going up, overhead cost etc... And yet the products shipped in are purchased at a huge discount by the wholesalers. And shipping cost per container are at a low cost via intermodal containers. Hence, if American railroads are missing out on profits from all those coal trains - you can bet they'll be looking at raising intermodal shipping costs. But, they won't. So those folks at Micro Mark must really be putting the squeeze on Walthers as they cater more toward scratch builders verse something made in China with super detailing.

Edited by Kb4iuj

Interesting Walthers getting into Japanese trains. (Not a wise idea). Clearly, their doing the math. But, will they buy from them? Way back in 1983 they stopped publishing their O scale catalog so as to no doubt steer more people into HO & N. Hence, wonder if their guru on trends is telling them HO days are coming to an end. As ya gotta wonder if their going to relocate their business to another state when their state mandates their raising the minimum wage to $11 an hour. A bit like how Illinois is going to. Superb detailed model trains from China, but sold at a hefty price. A bit like when a Japanese magazine told all their readers about Micro-Mark in the USA. Suddenly, everything in their catalog went up in price. Those On3 Forney, made in China went from $55 To $225. Of course, just about everything is made in China now days. Gee, wonder why Model Railroad sales are in the toilet in the USA or are they? Wages going up, overhead cost etc... And yet the products shipped in are purchased at a huge discount by the wholesalers. And shipping cost per container are at a low cost via intermodal containers. Hence, if American railroads are missing out on profits from all those coal trains - you can bet they'll be looking at raising intermodal shipping costs. But, they won't. So those folks at Micro Mark must really be putting the squeeze on Walthers as they cater more toward scratch builders verse something made in China with super detailing.

I can tell you that I had to get out of HO because it just simply wasn't worth what some of the costs are. I mean the train cars that cost 60 to 70 dollars a pop? Yeah they look good but my budget doesn't even come near that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

According to David, the format of the To/From fields have changed and it has caused some confusion once it leaves Japan.  I had a SAL package from Loco1Hobby sent at the end of July, and somehow got turned around and ended up back with David 5 weeks later.  Fortunately David went to the local post office and yelled at them for a bit and resent with tracking.  Finally arrived this week.

Wow, that's not good! I've gotten a number of Sal packages over the last three months and all have made it on the first pass luckily. It was good at least it found its way back to David to get back to you then, eventually! Bit like some luggage I've had had go amiss and end up coming back with tags from 10 cities on them!

Jeff

In the past 2 weeks, I've had SAL and EMS packages turn up.  The EMS ones tracked as normal through the JP-Post system.  But this e-packet one is hiding somewhere.  And if has been 15/16 days with is about 6 too many.

I've not had any EMS or SAL packages go missing from Japan ever. They tend to get here (Canada) quicker than orders from the U.S. Shipping cost are often more reasonable too.

Edited by tossedman

So after 21 days I contact seller about my missing e-packet/airmail package.  turns out I will have to wait until the 21st of October as Japan Post will not investigate until an item is 8 weeks old.  Bummer.

The US Postal Service is a bit like that.  I order off of Ebay a CD.   And that disc got to Memphis.  Well, it took them a while to deliver it.... about 4-5 weeks maybe more.   Fortunately the seller sent me out another and I got it in record time.  It didn't look like it was opened and they enjoyed it.  Probably got jammed in one of the many machines and stuck in a pocket of some sort.

Anyway, I sometimes wonder if they ship that SAL by ship.   So it might be on the high seas or going back to Japan then back again.  You know, like it was the last box and they tossed in the bin then it slid off on to the floor and was then tossed in the empty bin next to it, (going to Japan).   And when it gets back, they'll just toss it in the bin going the other way.

Edited by Kb4iuj

SAL comes by air, it's just that it's as there is space on the plane so why it usually takes just about 2 weeks to the U.S. Once in a great while you hear of one going poof for a whil like kato's. I've had perfect luck over the past 15 years with a several hundred Sal packages showing up w.o problems. A few took 3-4 weeks but for the most part all just at 2 weeks.

I've actually had excellent luck with the the U.S. Postal system. I do a fair bit of work still thru the mail and loads of ebay stuff that comes thru usps and never anything lost. Been shocked lately how fast priority mail packages have been going,mjust has two from DC to SF in two days. As much crap as the usps gets I am quite amazed it works so well. But it's not so cheap to ship anymore, that's for sure, especially international.

Jeff

• Like 1

I've had a couple of SAL packages take anywhere from 10 days to 6 weeks to reach NZ from Japan - very hit and miss, hopefully it's just taking an extended trip to get down to Australia.

I'm hoping that it has just been mixed up with the SAL packages by mistake.  The issue isn't really the money.  But the time and uncertainty of waiting.  It was all Tomytec Railway Collection stuff.  So if I reorder and pay, and then it turns up.  I'm stuck with motors and pantographs I cannot resell as Australia doesn't have much interest in Tomytec Railway Collection stuff.  I was hoping to finish off my Railway Collection trains.

Kato

I have argued with with jp post many times

But they they refuse to beleive that registered also does not work with air and epacket. To the same countries that sal small packet registered does not work too.

This is because its the same system.

Only ems and regular sal is trackable.

They use the ems tracking system.

Btw qld has delays atm so i say you get it soon. Hope you you do.

Might be good to ask you local post office if you have not tried yet.

And yes as vjm said.

The ems form and sal regular size forms show from and to.

This is fine as they have tracking and a large noticable From and To

But i usually send to and from

This makes sense for most countries.

Since small packets are small and there is no form you have to put on the address.

There has been cases where the post see the first field FROM but assumed it is TO.

Without reading then send it back to japan.

About 2 months ago maybe 3 the posts got a notice to refuse anymail in form.

To and then from

It must be from and then to japans format

This is what happenes to vjm aus post sent it back stating in writing the destination was myself.

They just never read the box properly.

Was lucky though as it was un tracked we had almost given up on it.

If SAL come by air. Ask the vender to put in big black letters " AOG" on the outside of the box. Which in aviation terms means "Aircraft On Ground" awaiting parts. Airline people know this postal people don't. Hence, who loads the airliners? Your package might get a sort of priority shipping vs just tossed in there with everybody else boxes.

SAL comes via japan post which I'm sure they pack their own containers that fly directly to U.S. cities with their major distribution points. Ground crews only load the japan post containers onto the plane. I think what happens at the japan post warehouse is that they have x number of containers going to say SF that day, the first fill them with the EMS boxes then any remaining room is SAL boxes on a first in first out basis and there is probably a week backlog at any one point (and maybe why there was a delay there for a couple of months with things being closer to two weeks). SAL on the U.S. Side seems to go priority mail then,meaning a couple of days to get from the drop off airport to you. May be a wait there for customs as I guess a fee things might trigger a U.S. Customs search or rare tariff.

Delays in Sal past the 2 weeks in the states is rare for the most part and accidents like the one ketario outlined do happen, I'm sure everywhere.

One thing to note with EMS here in the U.S. Is that if you are on vacation when an EMS package shows up the post office may return it in a week if you don't pick it up, even if you have a vacation hold. Technically it looks like they should be held, but our postmaster here says any express package goes back if not picked up in a week, no matter what! Most postal workers usually will hold stuff like this but our local post master says no to this! If it goes back you pay for shipping all over again!

Jeff

Spaceman Spiff

If SAL come by air. Ask the vender to put in big black letters " AOG" on the outside of the box. Which in aviation terms means "Aircraft On Ground" awaiting parts. Airline people know this postal people don't. Hence, who loads the airliners? Your package might get a sort of priority shipping vs just tossed in there with everybody else boxes.

AOG. Brilliant. That will work.

Never had an issue with SAL. Usually very quick to Canada.

Spiff

That's a bummer. Hope it shows up eventually. It may be one of those cases it gets returned and takes the slow boat back! Keep up spotted always good to know.

Jeff

I've been trying to practice this thing called delayed gratification and finally used SAL and used it 4 times in the last 3 months and all arrived within 2 weeks.  Im in San Francisco, CA.  The primary reason I used it was because I didn't want to pay almost the same amount for shipping as the items I was ordering.  Now that I've gained confidence in using SAL and can actually wait about 2 weeks or longer, I will be using SAL for future orders regardless of the amount.  Like Jeff said, the money saved using SAL can be used for train purchases.

That's a bummer. Hope it shows up eventually. It may be one of those cases it gets returned and takes the slow boat back! Keep up spotted always good to know.

Jeff

I hope too Jeff, it was one of the few untracked packages I did, but as it was only worth $20-22 it was not worth to use the tracking option

Yes I've looked at all the savings I've had doing Sal over the years I have several thousand dollars now in savings that are my self insurance fund! Really after shipping 4-5 Sal packages of medium size over EMS you are pretty well self insured for a $100-200 package, past there it's gravy. But most folks don't get and or like the idea of self insurance.

Jeff

The missing packet arrived on Friday, it took a bit longer than expected but it's here.. up to now no packet lost from SAL even untracked ones  :)

Hey great news!

I had a Sal that was just reaching 4 weeks, but the seller had it registered and it showed departing Japan a few days after shipping and then poof, but came today!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Nice to hear that..

With SAL shipping so far I always use Registered SAL so it has tracking facility, a bit more expensive but still cheaper than EMS.. but it makes me feel secured. And so far, ordered items always arrived safely..

I've actually found the registered Sal takes longer than plain sal. I thing it may cause more of a customs looksee and other checks for tracking. Although the tracking on this last package only showed putting in post, departing the airport, then nothing until it was delivered! Also requires you to be home to sign for the package or go get it at the post.

I've opted not to add the registration, again as I'm so self insured for Sal it's better to just get all the savings at this point. Some ebay sellers do it as it protects them some.

Cheers

Jeff

Got another 26 days old.  Not too worried this time since the last took 35 days.  Mustn't be many parcels JPN to AUS recently and they shipments are getting drawn out.