Reserve Items

Having never reserved a Japanese train model item.  And I have one for 12/2013 release, ie now.

When manufacturers set release dates/months.  Do they come out at the start of the month, middle or end?  Or is it just random from one product to the next?

I know HS puts a disclaimer out about product will not always be released on said advertise month.  And I understand why they would need to put this disclaimer in there.  Am I assuming it very rarely happens anyway?  But does it happen?  Or not worth thinking about due to it being such a rare occurence?

Thanks.

Edited by katoftw

Usually there are multiple release dates. There is an official one from the manufacturer, then each shop has one as the promised delivery date for their order. I've just got 3 emails that some trains I preordered for december are moved to january. The longest I've seen was a 2 year delay for an order that was due 15. march 2011. I finally got it this spring and the shop even asked me if I still want it or just wish to cancel the preorder.

haha yeah its not an issue waiting.  good excuse to buy something else in it's place instead.  EH500 or D51?

i just assumed xmas rush and so forth was the reason for delay.

As you've discovered, release dates are approximations.  I pre-order a lot of things, and few even arrive in the month originally promised. That's been worse this last couple of years, with the post-earthquake economic problems in Japan. I suspect manufacturers are having cash-flow problems, or waiting for additional orders to build up.

I did, however, get one Tomix release on time this month.  It showed up mid-month.  Back when schedules were more reliable, things could still show up any time during the month (or even a week early or late). There never seemed to be any specific time of the month (although it's possible that some manufacturers always released at a specific time and I just never noticed).

Turns out, even though the tomix website had the release changed to 2014-1, the set has arrived at HS.  Got my email regains payment completed, and it shows up on their new items.

So when and brought a Koki107 w/ 5 containers, Nissan containers, Kyushu containers and a D51 4 car set.

mags_minibuilds

There's some Kato DioTown autos from HS that are set to release date is Feb 28, it's now available to reserve. What happens if you don't reserve it and wait for it to be released...from your experience do they usually sell out before you have the chance to purchase them or will there be some stock available? Thanks!

19 minutes ago, ZandT said:

There's some Kato DioTown autos from HS that are set to release date is Feb 28, it's now available to reserve. What happens if you don't reserve it and wait for it to be released...from your experience do they usually sell out before you have the chance to purchase them or will there be some stock available? Thanks!

That probably depends a lot on the popularity of the item. I think for things to be completely sold out from reservation everywhere is quite rare, but it can happen. I reserved the Tomix 97935 103 Series in Nara line warbler livery and I think without this I would have found it very difficult to find the item new. A lot of other items I have reserved and they are probably still available now. It is probably best to reserve something if you really want the item, to avoid disappointment.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, ZandT said:

I've eyed the new delivery trucks too.  Can't have enough of those little critters around town.

Kato's last run of Hino Poncho buses hasn't sold out yet.  Shipping costs being what they are right now with airmail to the US being down again, I've decided to wait it out on these.

mags_minibuilds
1 hour ago, Cat said:

I've eyed the new delivery trucks too.  Can't have enough of those little critters around town.

Kato's last run of Hino Poncho buses hasn't sold out yet.  Shipping costs being what they are right now with airmail to the US being down again, I've decided to wait it out on these.

Yes, those are the ones I'm interested in too! They have SAL Small Packet available as a temporary option but I don't want to take the chance of ordering it thinking it'll go by Small Packet but ends up being shipped by EMS 😳. Otherwise I can order more reserved items to have it worthwhile to ship by DHL. 

• Like 1

If you are afraid of that, contact RGR or MTP via email and make a reservation there. They are more accommodating then big retailers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kato and Tomix tend to have extras above pre order quantities. But it's never a given.

Pre order is cheaper and should guarantee you get your items.

Those kato dio town tall buildings though. I'd guess that any more than two in one order would push you into ems/dhl shipping costs, due to volume size.

• Thanks 1

I agree with disturbman, if you want to assemble a few reserved and/or other items into a single shipment for shipping savings then best use rg Rokko or ModelTrainsplus and work with them for a more customized order/shipping. Bigger vendors are not so accommodating on combining orders and reserve delays can foul things up fast and they stand by very hard and fast rules and get grumpy if you try to get some accommodation.

jeff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1