JR Hokkaido to buy 88 new cars by 2016

miyakoji

This is a day or two old now, but JR Hokkaido President Nojima said to the MLIT committee of the upper house of the Diet (doing my best here, not really sure about this :grin) that JRH will buy 28 new express DMUs and 60 new commuter EMUs by 2016.  These will replace some old cars as well as provide new capacity.  It will be decided later exactly how many cars will be scrapped, and what lines/areas will get the new equipment.  One specific thing mentioned is that some of the new cars will be 733s to replace the 48 711s in service, all of which are to be retired by the end of this year.

http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/donai/507045.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/711_series

Edited by miyakoji
One specific thing mentioned is that some of the new cars will be 733s to replace the 48 711s in service, all of which are to be retired by the end of this year.

Not really a surprise but the 733's are extremely boring trains.

Yes, I agree that the 733 and the others like are interesting looking trains.  I'd be interested to know what special features these have for cold weather operation.

I will miss 711系.  Thirty years ago they had heated seats, but I'm not sure since air conditioning was added.  But I am also fan of 733系.  To me it is attractive looking.  You can see about it here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/733_series

I believe they still have heated seats.  And there are a few trainsets that still don't have airconditioning installed, they still have the ceiling fans with JNR logos.

I prefer the 735 series with their slab sides and minimalist paint scheme.  Too bad their aluminum construction was not deemed suited for Hokkaido conditions, thus dooming them to a short production run.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

JNR ceiling fans ... those were the days.

miyakoji-san, cold weather had a big effect on hydraulics and items operated by compressed air.  Frozen doors can be a problem.  Hydraulic fluids may need heating.  I am but a railfan.  Forum members who drive trains can probably give a more accurate answer to your question.

JNR ceiling fans ... those were the days.

miyakoji-san, cold weather had a big effect on hydraulics and items operated by compressed air.  Frozen doors can be a problem.  Hydraulic fluids may need heating.  I am but a railfan.  Forum members who drive trains can probably give a more accurate answer to your question.

This is why JNR generally made two types from their old EMUs and DMUs. One standard and one cold weather version. The cold weather type needed extra equipment, like dehumidifiers for the compressed air system, so the airpipes didn't freeze and some extra equipment or certain design tricks to keep moving parts exposed to the weather from freezing up. They also added extras like heating and partition walls around the doors to keep the cars warm. However the hydraulic transmission fluid used in DMUs is not prone to freezing, at least not more than in road vehicles.

I believe they still have heated seats.  And there are a few trainsets that still don't have airconditioning installed, they still have the ceiling fans with JNR logos.

I prefer the 735 series with their slab sides and minimalist paint scheme.  Too bad their aluminum construction was not deemed suited for Hokkaido conditions, thus dooming them to a short production run.

Heated seats!? Well, that does explain a lot. I recalled on a on a rather chilly and rainy day I hopped on one at Asari, somewhat wet. Seat was strangely warm and my back was dry by the time I arrived at Sapporo. Hadn't really given any thought to it.