Some N layout questions from a newbie

mageus

I have a Kato 500 Nozomi starter set (M1 track, 12" oval) with the V11 set (15/16" super-elevated curves oval).  I want to make a 4x6' layout using the Overhead Transit Station.  I was thinking of two concentric ovals.  The station would sit at the front over the 12" oval, the 15/16" oval, and an outside straight track that goes nowhere. (see Figure 1).  However, the cost of turnouts would break the bank for now, so I thought of a strange idea . . .

At the back each track would cross over to a different track. (Figure 2)  The outer lane connects to the middle, the middle to the inner, and the inner crosses over to connect to the outer lane.  The train would run continuously through all 3 tracks.  Yes it's not proto; it's quite farsical.  But I could play with it until I add proper turnouts and crossovers later.  It actually connects with almost full tolerance.

Some questions:

- What is the shortest curve for a 500?
I've heard you can go to 11".  The tightest turn uses a 9-3/4" radius S, but only 30 degrees worth.  I could use 11", but it would stretch the track more.

- Do I have to use viaduct to use piers?
It looks like the piers attach to viaduct.  I only need to elevate the single track to cross over the double track.  I can build my own piers from scratch if I have to.

- Over how much length do I apply the incline?
There are 6 piers per rise/fall.  Doing rough math says 30" for a 4deg incline.  I'm guessing 2 piers per 9" track?

- How often should one place catenary poles?

- Which bumper is most prototypical for Japanese rail?

- Which is the best train case box for the 500?

TIA.

post-1971-0-02682400-1385763928_thumb.jpg

post-1971-0-29577100-1385763932_thumb.jpg

figure 2 just wont work.  V11 is a double track and one of the outer most curves wound need to be inclines, which is impossible as it is double track.

figure 1 is better anyway as you can run up to 3 trains at once if you choose to do so.

if dc using standard power packs, then you need insulation joiners between the S64s.

you may also nee to make you layout longer to accommodate the larger curves.  my kato 500 is about 640mm long.  i have a modern island platform, and the platform section is 596mm long.  you can buy seperate longer ends that will add length to the platforms, making it 856mm long.  good for 6 car units.

A kato 500 in the instructions as 315mm as its minimum radius, but i've had mine on 282mm.

the middle and inner loop cross will also chew up platform space.  better off puting the platform where the crossover is, and the crossover where the platform is.

also the reason why you middle loop and siding dont line up with the rest of the track is that the R481 points are 126mm long, not 124mm.  when the R481 points are used, there is a little 60mm L or R piece that goes on the end to bring it back to standardised kato lengths.  those 60mm piece should be right next to the points in anyrail program you are using.

Edited by katoftw