Why does the forum add 2 spyware cookies to my com?

Hello,

The JNSForum appears to add the following spyware cookies to my com:

1. 2o7

2. adserver

I have tested this several times today. 

I am wondering if Admin know about this and, if so, why do they allow?

These are not coming from JNS, but I think these are coming in via files embedded in jns posts. when your browser requests the files (usually pictures) that folks have linked then those servers set a cookie. if those are infected machines then i could see their server setting a cookie on your machine. does not mean you have gotten the cookie from jns, its from the server that linked file was on and jns cannot block this.

i could not get those to pop up but others do as you click around various posts on the forum. You must have been visiting a page that had a file who's server set them which i did not visit in my test.

i think the only way to block this would be to not have any direct linked/embedded files show up in the jns pages. so all images would need to be just links or stored on the jns server (ie no requesting files from those servers to build jns pages). but as soon as you click on one of those image links the cookie would be set anyway.

jeff

Mudkip Orange
i think the only way to block this would be to not have any direct linked/embedded files show up in the jns pages. so all images would need to be just links or stored on the jns server (ie no requesting files from those servers to build jns pages). but as soon as you click on one of those image links the cookie would be set anyway.

Don't do this. imgur.com image hosting is pretty standard (80% of reddit runs on it) and it would break a lot of my posts.

Cookies are a fact of life on the 'net, I clear mine several times a day.

Mudkip Orange

Actually you know what I bet these are? Youtube. The forum software autoembeds youtube videos, so your computer loads from YT servers whenever you load a thread where someone posted a video of their layout.

Hello everyone,

So sorry to have alarmed you, but I gave this matter further consideration overnight.

They appear to have come from the Ask toolbar.  I have removed the toolbar and no longer have the problem.

It has prompted me to turn off many of my browser add-ons.

I have learned so much today.

As I said before, so sorry to have made this false accusation yesterday.

Thankyou for your understanding.

Martijn Meerts

No worries.. I'd rather have people ask about strange cookies that may or may not be set by the forum system, than have them be quiet about it ;)