GranClass: 2.5 years in, does it always still sell out?

TestudoToTetsudo

TestudoToTetsudo

A friend of mine is going to Japan next week and will have a Japan Rail Pass.  He wants to ride in GranClass and knows he'll have to pay everything but the basic transportation rail fare even with a pass.  However, using the pass, he plans to make the reservation when he gets to Narita and the English-speaking JR Ticket Office there for travel 3 or 4 days out.

I know GranClass would consistently sell out immediately a month in advance when it first came out in 2011.  However, with over two and a half years of service, many more E5 trainsets in service and E5s and GranClass showing up on many Hayate trips in addition to Hayabusa trips, does anyone know how hard it is to get a GranClass reservation 3-4 days in advance now?  

My friend is planning to spend a half day doing a Tokyo-Sendai-Tokyo round trip on whatever departure northbound or southbound he can get GranClass availability on, and will likely ride unreserved on a Yamabiko for the return.

Also, does anyone know if GranClass has electrical outlets at the seat?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Edited by TestudoToTetsudo
TestudoToTetsudo
Hello TetsudoToTetsudo,

Please allow me to assist you with your question regarding electrical sockets in Gran Class Seats.

Yes, all Gran Class seats are equipped with 110v AC socket of the standard 2 pin type.

For further information please visit: http://jprail.com/trains/tohoku-shinkansen-e5-series-for-hayabusa-hayate-and-yamabiko-image-gallery.html

Awesome, thanks!!!