Tomix vs Kato

katoftw

Only got a Tomix EF210-100 thats on reservation til Dec, was cheap upfront, normal 10% HS discount with extra 5% reservation discount and it was a 3 car set with koki 107s and 5 containers.  As a total whole set it is pretty inexpensive.  But it's Tomix's sets that started me off with the original question in this thread.

Was also looking at a Tomix Shinkansen 800 series as it is 180AUD (from HS) versus a out of print Kato $240AUD (from theif style ebay seller).  But if I buy the Tomix one now and then sell it on later, I'll prbably loose more than the 25% saving.  So might as well pay extra and get the one I want in the first place.  Maybe???

I think it is a matter of whatever piece of the puzzle that fits at the time will work.  Being fairly new to the modelling scene, the train collection it only small.  So if something springs up I have on my want/needs list.  the the whole list gets a reshuffle so to speak.  The above EF210 for example wasn't even on the list, but the price was right and a reshuffle had to occur.

Here is a rolling stock list that I've currently got/want:-

Tomix Kyushu containers

Tomix Nissan containers

Tomix Koki 107 with containers

Kato C11

Kato D51 4 car set

Kato EH500

Another Kato 813-200 Kyushu commuter

Kato Shinkansen 500 series 4 car add on set

The containers are dependent on when the EF210 gets shipped.

The koki is dependent on when i have freight locos to pull them.

The EH500 is dependent on when i have some extra koki car to pull.

The SL trains will fit in whenever.

The 813 I alread have one, so no rush for a second.

The 500 is denpendent on me getting more train, 8 cars covers alot of train.

A 700 series shinkansen not on the list, but as you are aware, someone is selling a 8 car set cheaply...

Now add in an overhead station, some more platforms than I alread have.  Some materials to actually put down a baseboard and begin a proper layout.  And then I'll be looking at scenery and forgeting about the above rolling stock list for 5 minutes.

You guys know the drill, you've been there and done that many moons ago.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
I just brought my first Tomix train.  And this notion didn't come into my head until after purchase.  I'm affraid I'll end up selling the Tomix stuff at a large loss in time.  While I dont have DDC now, it is something I wanna move towards.

Hello Mr Katoftw,

Please do not be concerned about DCC.  Tomix, Micro Ace and Green Max can all be converted to DCC.  It is not difficult.

Martijn Meerts

I've installed decoder in probably around 30 Tomix trains by now, ranging from shinkansen to EMU/DMU to steam locomotives.. They're not more difficult to install decoders into than Kato's trains for the most part. Of course Kato has the DCC friendly trains which allow you to just slot in a decoder, but that is only if you use Kato's own decoder, which is really rather limited in features.

As for quality, it varies per model, and it's hard/impossible to say which brand is better than the other on average.

• Like 2

For me, DCC is a non-issue......i have far too many locomotives and Japanese trains to make DCC even remotely affordable......

I have no real preference....both are good makes, and both have offerings the other doesnt.....in the end, to me, it is a wash...

• Like 1

(This is just an observation - and in no way intended as a criticism of you, John...)

I've often heard people say this, or seen it written. Something along the lines of, "I have 300+ locos, so I can't afford DCC". Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since presumably the locos weren't free.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

DCC does add quite a bit of cost to a loco though, depending on the decoder you're going for. Cost gets crazy if you also want all interior lights to be DCC controlled ;)

That said, I have well over 100 trains, and I'm still going DCC.. Spread over many years it's not going to be so bad, and I don't really need every single train to be DCC immediately anyway.

Hi

I travel to Japan every year and I have decided I would love to build my own N Gauge layout to remind me of my travels.

The problem is I can not decide to go down either the Tomix or Kato route.

My  main questions are:

1. Which would the forum members recommend?

2. Are the two makes interchangeable?

3. Which is the most detailed?

Steve (OOOPS sorry, I've just noticed the beginners guide)

Edited by gillysfg

Hi Steve,

I moved your post to this topic that's also about Tomix vs Kato. Maybe you can find some info already in this topic and otherwise I'm sure others can help you out.

• Like 1

It is kinda funny to look back and see ones view from then. I don't care more for any brand over others nowadays. haha

Mainly have Kato engines just in case I wanna go down DCC route.  But have some Tomix as don't see myself going down DCC route any time soon.

All shinkansens are Tomix cos Kato doesn't make any of the ones I want.

Gave up on whom cost more etc, as started buying MicroAce trains I like, and at that point you forget about any budgeting. haha

Stopped paying for overpriced out-of-stock items on ebay as started using yahoo to find these much cheaper.

All my freight cars are Tomix as cos they have alot larger range to pick from.

So I have nil preference towards any manufacturer today.  Although haven't gone down the Greenmax road yet.  There prices are out of control.  But one day I might if I find something really worth it.

Steve,

Yes this is the age old question here that is always debated and comes up in many threads. Kato pointed out there is no clear winner and folks have different things important to them. I am much like kato in that I go for the trains I like and have never found a huge difference or clear winner in the brand game. It's usually some trade offs like kato having some dcc friendly trains and usually being less temperamental than tomix when doing a non slot conversion. But I'm way off doing dcc with the large collection I have so I've decided to not worry about dcc at all. In the shinkansens tomix has one thing of having all wheel pickup on the whole train (with electrical connectors in the couplers) which I find makes them the best runners out there, they can run smoothly on the dirtiest track! But their diaphragm system between cars is a bit clunkier visually, kato's are nicer, but some use the diaphragms to couple and these at times can make them problematic runners and also more fragile.

Many times you are forced into one manufacturer as that's the only one that makes it. Usually when two make the same model there are subtle detail and color differences and it can vary.

All the brands will run fine on n gauge track (any brand n gauge track out there). Freight can interchange fine usually coming supplied with old rapido couplers that you can of course replace with finer ones later. The sets of emu and emu passenger trains and shinkansens (outside of straight passenger cars) can't be interchanged between brands but that's fine as you buy them as a discrete set. If there are addon sets you need to buy the same brand for that train. Locos as well are interchangeable usually coming with rapido couplers.

For Japanese track there is kato unitrak and tomix finetrack. Both are exceptional sectional

I've found little overall differences in running in general (outside the shinkansens with the all wheel pickup) between brands over the years and 140+ sets. Variations in each brand, but in general Japanese n scale trains run really well.

So I would recommend you focus on the trains you want and like and can afford to get started. If you find some thing that makes you get fixed on one brand (some do and that's fine they are your trains!) you can always specialize later. Get a few trains and get playing with them for a start and it will work itself out.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

Just adding some more references for you..

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/10030-kato-vs-tomix-vs-microace-vs-greenmax/

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/7288-who-is-considered-best-model-railroad-manufacturer/page-2

In regards to DCC, i have read several sources in this forum and it gives me confidence that both Kato and Tomix can be converted to DCC, although some say Tomix is not easier.. I'm not yet into DCC for now, but will be interesting if I can play DCC one day..

But definitely Kato or Tomix are just wonderful in my opinion. I prefer Tomix cause it produced my favorite shinkansens, but Kato also produced nice shinkansens with pre-printed decals or markings and destination boards. However Tomix also made the destination board which can be lighted.. and many more you can learn as most of the advantages of the brands had been shared by so many members here. So both are great.. :) Couldn't go wrong with japanese N scale.. :D

Cheers..

KomachiMaster427

I'm still relatively new to Japanese model trains, and know very little. I like Kato, because it's more detailed and the lights are so simple to install, plus the fact that they're DCC compatible. I've never had Tomix, but I've heard that it's a good option if you don't want to go Kato. My problem would be:

1: how easy is it to install the Tomix light kits?

2:how well do the power couplers work?

And 3: overall, are they a better choice over Kato?

Any light you could shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

KomachiMaster427, I moved your post into an existing topic about the differences between Kato and Tomix. Also see the post above yours for links to other topics about this subject, maybe they'll shed some light on any of your questions.

Martijn Meerts

I'm still relatively new to Japanese model trains, and know very little. I like Kato, because it's more detailed and the lights are so simple to install, plus the fact that they're DCC compatible. I've never had Tomix, but I've heard that it's a good option if you don't want to go Kato. My problem would be:

1: how easy is it to install the Tomix light kits?

2:how well do the power couplers work?

And 3: overall, are they a better choice over Kato?

Any light you could shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

All trains are DCC 'compatible', just Kato makes it a litlle easier on some of their models by allowing you to just plug in their own decoder. This doesn't work on all trains though, some early models can have issues with them.

1. Just as easy as Kato, if not easier.

2. Very well, but they don't use them on all trains. It's mainly on shinkansen.

3. Both are a good choice really, and well, no reason to pick either Kato or Tomix. The power coupler may give Tomix a slight advantage, but that's only limited to a relatively small amount of models.

There are different things to look for:

-trains

-track systems

-control systems

From a train perspective, detail level is similar, but features are different. Kato has DCC ready models and US compatible couplers. Tomix has TN close couplers and power couplers on shinkansen.

Track systems are a different topic and here Kato is more durable if you run on the floor, while Tomix has more variety and flexibility if you want to build a layout, but the Tomix finetracks are more sensitive to abuse than Kato unitrack. (not as little kid friendly) Generally i would suggest Kato for temporary, on the floor layouts and Tomix for glued down tracks on a fixed layout.

Control systems: Kato is more DCC friendly, while Tomix has an analog control system called TCS and has a ton of automation and signalling support parts for it. For control stands, Kato has an analog sound box that works with US prototypes too, while Tomix has several imitation control stands with sound and automation, but generally only support japanese prototypes. There is also constant lighting support in some Tomix controllers, so your head and interior lights could stay lit while the train is standing, but some DCC decoders don't like its analog signal.

Hello,

Please allow me to add my experience as I own well over 150 consists.

1. All lighting kits are of a similar level of difficulty to install.  They all require the same amount of disassembly and reassembly of the car.  While someone might have trouble installing one particular brand, others praise the same brand.  There are also third-party lighting products that fit all the major branded models.

2. Tomix power couplers are installed on selected shinkansen only.  They are very good, but I have no trouble with other consists.  Power couplers are helpful if you have dirty track, but keep your track clean and the humidity down and there will be little difference.  On longer shinkansen consists many Tomix models have two power cars.  Power couplers ensure that both power cars receive the same current.  Also, some of my Micro Ace Odakyu Romance Car models have power couplers.

3. Kato, Tomix, Micro Ace and Greenmax are all excellent brands.  They often offer the same product with subtle differences, such as consists with different car numbers, match a particular year of manufacture, etc.  For example, I have seven different 115系 Yokosuka colour consists and each is slightly different.  One, Tomix 98942, is specifically the M40 formation after a/c upgrade of car 115-318.  That car has an aluminium a/c cover but all the other cars have painted steel.  You can see this on the following image: 

http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10304585a/20/1

Of course, price and availability might also be a consideration.

Finally, you mentioned DCC being a factor in choosing Kato.  In this regard I draw your attention to the fact that Kato DCC is manufactured by Digitrax.  Digitrax decoders, including the ones manufactured for Kato, have a feature called Transponding.  Put simply, this is a proprietary method of the decoder talking back to the controller.  Some other brands, such as Lenz, use another popular talk-back method called RailCom.  The two are not compatible.  So, if you don't have DCC yet, then Digitrax might be the best choice.  But if you already have a DCC system that uses RailCom AND you intend to make use of RailCom, then Kato branded DCC Friendly consists and decoders won't be of interest to you.  For me, I chose Digitrax because I already had the Kato models and wanted to maximise compatibility.

I hope this was more useful than confusing.

Edited by Ochanomizu
  • Like 3