Tomix vs Kato

katoftw

Tomix cheaper than Kato? At my local shop, Tomix track is more expensive than Kato's. Also, rolling stock is cheaper from Kato, as are buildings.

Guest keio6000
Why is Tomix stuff so much cheaper than Kato stuff?

Kato provides by far the best value of any japanese model railroad manufacturer. Maybe in oz theres a greedy importer or something, but in general picking on kato for pricing is just not on.

I once focused on Tomix, but later found that Kato had some unique products like Unitram, its E5 release of 2011 and its double track sections.

John P Boogerd

I bought Kato engines recently that were about a third the price of similar engines from Tomix - about $135.00 for an HO electric engine is a very good price in my view.

The Kato products are Japanese made?

Some of the buildings are made in China but the trains are still labeled "Made in Japan".

found most of the train sets to be of pretty equal in price and quality overall, with some better on either side now and then, but never felt one was "better" over all than the other.

tomytec (tomix is just a subset brand of tomytec of the nicer train stuff) also has its line of lower priced trains as well thats a good way for folks to start out on a low budget and grow into spending more later or to start w/o a mech and then motorize and detail out later. not quite as nice as a ready made tomix, but not bad and ends up only 50-70% the price of the nicer stuff. 

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
Kato provides by far the best value of any japanese model railroad manufacturer. Maybe in oz theres a greedy importer or something, but in general picking on kato for pricing is just not on.

I only buy from Japanese internet retailers that will ship internationally.

I'm not picking on them.  It was a generalized statement.  And I have no bias towards any of the 2 manufacturers.  And to be honest, if I did, it be more Kato bias as it is the only stuff I known.  I own nil Tomix products (as yet).

This week I did reserve a Tomix EF210-100 w/ koki107s and containers, to be released in Dec.

I also purchased a Kato Kyushu 813-100 as is was cheaper and better looking than Tomix's version.  And a Kato V6 oval.

Previous purchases were:-

Kato V5 oval

Kato ES44AC UP

Kato controller

Kato M1 starter with ES44AC BNSF + mixed freight

Kato V4 siding

Kato Shinkansen 500 series 4 car basic set

Kato DC extension

Kato DC 3 way

Kato switch extension

Kato DC unijoiner power feeds (x2)

So I'm very happy with the Kato product.  I'm not beating down on it in my question.  But as I get more into railway modelling, I'm finding Tomix to be cheaper alternative on alot more products.

Don't get me wrong, Tomix isn't always the cheapest, but they are cheaper on more products than Kato.

EH500 3rd gen is evenly priced between the manufacturers.

Tomixs SL trains seem to a little cheaper.

Katos 813-100 was cheaper, as per above example.

Tomix also seem to offer 2 or 3 car sets that make them cheaper.  Were Kato dont seem to offer similar sets and cost a little more buying seperately. 

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
Tomix cheaper than Kato? At my local shop, Tomix track is more expensive than Kato's. Also, rolling stock is cheaper from Kato, as are buildings.

Plaza Japan and Hobby Searches prices beg to differ with your statement.  I couldn't tell you about other retailers as I have nil experience with others.

But I find kokis and containers by Tomix up to 20% cheaper than Katos versions.  And Kato versions seem to be out of stock everywhere unless you wanna pay the price hike prices from some thief retailer.  $80USD is not worth it for 2x koki107 with container sets.

Personally I'd prefer sticking with Kato products.  But the slightly higher price tag and lack of availability is stopping me from buying them.  I'm going to have had to purchase alot of Tomix freight related stuff due to no retailer having Kato stuff.

Is Kato currently concerntrating on HO scale and alot of their N scale stock is out of print?

Edited by katoftw

This is an interesting thread... Also it has been discussed for quite sometime with no clear verdict. 

Each of the makers have their plus points and not so good points... Well some may disagree... 

Kato: 

Basically Kato has many models that Tomix doesn't do, like overseas models like the Glacier Express etc. 

Kato seems to be more available worldwide, with local distributors 

While Kato is 'made-in-japan', that doesn't mean they might not have quality issues. Although they have been making very high quality models which i love too, but being labelled with 'made-in-japan' while Tomix labelled 'made-in-china' doesn't mean Kato quality is above Tomix. Tomix fans will beg to differ on this. 

Kato seems to be more 'DCC' friendly 

Tomix:

Same as Kato, they have models that Kato do not produce, mainly Japanese models, like 700-7000 Railstar, 400 series, Odakyu series etc. 

While Tomix is harder to obtain, the gradual increase in good retailers that will ship worldwide like Loco1 and Modeltrainplus, and of course HS and PJ that have been around for a long time, made this much easier to obtain Tomix models worldwide.

Tomix quality, in my opinion, doesn't lose out to Kato, just because they're labelled 'made-in'china'. Try Their High Grade (HG) series trains and i bet you'll love the quality that went into making them..

Also, Tomix and MicroAce has a cheaper and better alternative to interior lighting, that in the form of illumi. I do hope to see illumi lights out for Kato soon, cause this is one of the main reasons i sometimes choose Tomix over Kato, especially if they are long 16-car shinkansens... 

Above is my personal view on this, but others might differ... 

• Like 2

Hello katoftw,

Please allow me to make several comments about your question, and other replies to this thread.

I generally agree with the comments of JR500.  I have not found Tomix to be cheaper.  But I have found their product to be very reliable.  In fact, I have over 100 consists.  Nearly 1/3 are Tomix.  All are very good.  Kato is also very good.

I use Tomix track because the ballast profile is more realistic.  They also have power couplers on their current shinkansen models - the coupler transfers power from car to car, effectively minimising stoppages due to poor contact and crossing turnouts.  Tomix is highly respected in Japan.  They have no plans to market overseas.  They have no plans to implement DCC.

Kato has many DCC friendly models.  They use proprietary decoders manufactured by Digitrax.  The Kato decoders have many of the functions of Digitrax decoders, including Transponding.  They make many US and European models.  Because this is a profitable market segment they were forced down the DCC path.

Micro Ace and Green Max are also equally as good.  There are actually four big brands doing passenger trains in N scale.  You will find each has its pros and cons and each has its own focus.

With regard to quality, I can remember Tomix having to cease production due to a technical error once or twice in my time as a collector.  I know that Kato did not produce a prototypically correct E1 shinkansen and the second hand product can thus be purchased quite cheaply.  More recently, the couplers on the Glacier Express resulted in a 1cm gap between cars, forcing Kato to rush back to the drawing board and release a coupler kit especially for that model.

Elsewhere I have posted a link to a website of a collector who likes to compare the same model from different manufacturers.  I shall try to find that link again.

Generally I would say that each of the big four is good in its own way.

• Like 2
Plaza Japan and Hobby Searches prices beg to differ with your statement.  I couldn't tell you about other retailers as I have nil experience with others.

My local shop is TamTam, one of the biggest, if not the biggest hobby shop chains in Japan. KATO rails per meter and points per piece are generally cheaper there, as is rolling stock (even with the standard TamTam 30% discount). TamTam handles standard prices, but has a general 30% discount on new rolling stock (probably because they buy in bulk). Still, that means the original price of Tomix is higher than Kato's.

A good and simple example is the 115 Series, 4 car set in regard to rolling stock:

- KATO (¥6,983): http://www.hs-tamtam.co.jp/item-80915.html

- TOMIX (¥10,290): http://www.hs-tamtam.co.jp/item-56729.html

Hello Mr Babelony,

The reason the Kato product is much cheaper is because they make only the 4-car set.  Tomix makes the 4-car set plus a 4-car add on set, both of which can be used in various combinations to make a prototypically correct consist.  The Kato product cannot be used to make a prototypically correct set without additional cars such as 4104-4, 4105-4 and 4106-4.  Unfortunately these cars have not been produced by Kato for ten years or so.  The only option is to order the spare parts as noted on the brochure.  This is an expensive option and there is no guarantee that the parts are available.

The two brands are targeting different markets.

• Like 1

I am reminded that Micro Ace made a number of 115系 Shonan colour over the years.  They are prototypically correct, even more expensive than Tomix, and include 115-0, 15-300, 115-300.3500, 115-800, 115-0.800 and others.  I don't have among my collection.  But I do have the Micro Ace A4520 115-0 in Yokosuka colour.  It is an excellent product.

I have a preference for Tomix over Kato to be quite honest, I like how Tomix trains sound and while they seem to look a little less detailed than Kato trains, I think it's not particularly noticable. Of course that's just my opinion on them.

Out of the 4 main companies, in order of preference, I'd say Tomix > Kato > Microace > Greenmax.

I have one Microace train and it's decently quiet and looks nice. 2 of my Greenmax trains are excessively loud and one required me putting it together which is kind of a bother since there is no pre-made version of it that exists.

• Like 1

Hhmmm.. speaking of which, my preference is somewhat like that of Keiyu, i generally prefer Tomix over Kato too, mainly due to the fact that i can interior light them using a cheaper alternative. I like how the train looks with all the interior lighting in. Also, my experience with Kato has somewhat shown me that Tomix motor moves much quieter over Kato's, and MicroAce's models seems to have the quietest and smoothest motor. 

I have a spread of brands actually, but i find my newer purchases leaning over to Tomix side. My recent purchases have all been Tomix and MicoAce models... 

Living in a country that has zero stuff for the hobby (much less n scale for that matter), I have learned to love both brands. Like others here, I also buy from dealers in Japan and have found that Kato is just a tad cheaper than Tomix when it comes to trains and rolling stock. On the other hand, Tomix has cheaper buildings and structures than Kato, but then Kato seems to have more details which is probably why they cost more. On structure design, that I have to give to Kato 'coz their buildings, stations and platforms are very appealing eye candies!

Mardon

• Like 1
I preffer Kato models bcouse of DCC friendly and very good quality. I have  DCC layout

I just brought my first Tomix train.  And this notion didn't come into my head until after purchase.  I'm affraid I'll end up selling the Tomix stuff at a large loss in time.  While I dont have DDC now, it is something I wanna move towards.

some Tomix Sets are cheaper BUT lots of them have at least one car LESS then the Kato Set of the same Train :-(

about the DCC thing:

installing DCC into a Tomix N700 is a real pain in the Butt :-(

Kato DCC friendly system is nice to work with but it can become expensive if you cant get the Decoders cheap from Japan :-(

• Like 1
Is Kato currently concerntrating on HO scale and alot of their N scale stock is out of print?

Kato always has more items out of stock than Tomix. Its a family business versus Tomix and its corporate owners.

I just brought my first Tomix train.  And this notion didn't come into my head until after purchase.  I'm affraid I'll end up selling the Tomix stuff at a large loss in time.  While I dont have DDC now, it is something I wanna move towards.

Interesting ~ Please let me know if you're going to let go your Tomix ok? I doubt i'll move into DCC at all so i'll slowly stick my rolling stocks to Tomix / MicroAce until either illumi comes out for Kato, or there are limited models that only Kato produces, like the Rilakumar E231-500...