MicroAce A3583 - Eidan 8000 Tozai line... why?

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

Hi Everybody,

I was very excited to see that MicroAce has finally announced an 8000-series EIDAN (as opposed to tokyo metro) train.   However, after my initial joy wore off, I was more than a bit surprised to find that the planned release is a Tozai line variety - in a nutshell, while these 8000 series trains are universally associated with the Hanzoumon line and running thru on the Tokyu Shin-Tamagawa/Den-en-Toshi lines, MicroAce is apparently releasing a version for 'Tozai line completists' based on the short period in 1988-1989 when these ran on the Tozai line.

Note the image at bottom how 'Tozai line" appears above the doors in blue. This is the version that MA wants to release. 

Now, the Tokyo metro version of this train sold out very quickly and now regularly sells for more than its original price on the aftermarket.   My guess is that MA wants to take advantage of this otherwise further unusable mould (barring a 'sayonara' version later) but it's also a bit worrying - we will see a Hanzoumon version, right?

If anybody can offer any insight would be appreciated.  It would be really strange to offer this ultimately in the tozai vesion only and as I said i think they are just milking the mould with this release..

1024px-%E5%96%B6%E5%9B%A3-8014.jpg

I think MA is following its own marketing strategy with this train. With the possible and looming retirement of this train, they're probably going for a 'goodbye set' that will sell like fresh steamed hot buns in Yokohama China Town.

Releases of MA have been relatively slow as of lately as well, but they need to keep their momentum, so I guess they're going for the 'quick and easy' strategy by reusing old moulds for new versions. Looking at the number of posters of this year, it has only been 15 so far (with two bearing only one single train divided in parts), whereas the previous three years have had +21 release posters (very few with only one or two sets).

The rapid releases is what MA sets itself apart from the other big brands and they need to keep up the pace. It has been the same -if not stranger- with the Hokusō 7000 type train, of which three different sets have been released (6-car Hokusō Kaihatsu, 8-car Hokusō Kaihatsu and 8-car Hokusō versions). In reality, only three 7000 types were ever built. Even stranger with the Keisei 3298 train, of which only one existed, but had three different releases all at once!

Guest keio6000

Hi Toni,

Im not sure I made myself fully clear.  I think it's fairly obvious that the potential demand for a eidan hanzomon line version of this train is at least 10x more than demand for a tozai line version, and the '10x' number is being very conservative.  the 'tozai line' version of this is an otherwise forgotten short time exception.  since the hanzomon tokyo metro versions are already very very hard to find, this would suggest that microace is giving up a lot of money by not releasing the hanzoumon eidan version now.  perhaps they are counting on sales of this one to people like me who are jittery about there not actually being a hanzoumon version, but beyond that i honestly can't place any good logic to their announcement.  it's as if kato sold the stupid bear verson of the e231 yamanote line set without selling the plain version.

my best guess is that they already manufactured the eidan hanzoumon line ones (basically, it just means NOT putting the blue stickers over the door and putting it in a different case / different instructions) and will keep them in reserve until these otherwise unpopular tozai ones sell out, thus ensuring that they will have made the most possible from the tozai ones.  i guess that is the logic, but it goes against the other element of common sense which is to spread similar releases out (the looming retirement says 'get the basic version out now!')

fwif, i am still waiting since april then august then january now february for the keio 8000 and 9000 from MA. why they decided to release those two together i'll never know - bone-headed decision if there ever was one, as was the decision to undermanufacture (they are widely sold out on pre-order).

I'm sure there will be a Hanzōmon Eidan version some time after the release of this train. It could be however several years after this, you know how MA is. Unpredictable. Though, I predict a Hanzōmon Eidan version just before the retirement of this train type.

Not sure if MA would have a warehouse full of Eidan versions waiting around though. That's a bit conspiracist thinking, but you never know. My best guess would be that someone in the higher ranks of the MA management managed to push this train through for a release with vague arguments. Who knows how MA functions anyway? xD

Another guess would be that they want to release the Eidan version of the 8000 series together with the 08 series. That would make sense as well.

Guest keio6000

well, given the economics of tampo printing and production runs of any assembled item such as this, it would almost be crazy if they didn't already do the eidan 8000s versions.   but, as you say, who knows.

i also think that releasing the 8000 close to a sayonara version or alongside an 08 is just crazy.  this only ensures that any hanzoumon fan with a limited budget will have to make a choice.  this is what i was saying with the keio 8000 and 9000 simultaneous release - to me, it's just completely counter-intuitive.

incidentally, the hanzoumon 08 series in my mind, aesthetically speaking, is almost a perfect train design as it is handsome and modern while clearly also conveying a strong design heritage link to the 8000 series.

Hanzomon-08.jpg

compare this to the new ginza line 1000 which really tried hard to do this, but i think failed (all the pieces were there, but it fails to look right a ultimately it really doesn't in any way convey the look of either its (old) 1000 or 01 series predecessors  i think the new 1000 ginza line trains were a poor choice for the 'laurel prize' .  i hope the maurnouchi 02 replacements are better designed.

Mudkip Orange

Unpredictable re-release schedules (coupled with doubt that a given model may be re-released at all) seems to be a big part of MA's strategy. I can't say it doesn't work... I ended up using an auctions service to get the Keihan 8000 a couple years back, but today you can just go grab it off HS. Meanwhile stuff that is immensely popular (e.g. the Nankai rapi:t) sees much more limited releases...

i also think that releasing the 8000 close to a sayonara version or alongside an 08 is just crazy.  this only ensures that any hanzoumon fan with a limited budget will have to make a choice.  this is what i was saying with the keio 8000 and 9000 simultaneous release - to me, it's just completely counter-intuitive.

For some reason MA is doing this kind of thing all time. Suddenly they release multiple JR Shikoku, Tohoku, Hokkaido / whatever region trains in a few months and unless you have tons of money it's just not possible to get them all in such a short time.

compare this to the new ginza line 1000 which really tried hard to do this, but i think failed (all the pieces were there, but it fails to look right a ultimately it really doesn't in any way convey the look of either its (old) 1000 or 01 series predecessors  i think the new 1000 ginza line trains were a poor choice for the 'laurel prize' .  i hope the maurnouchi 02 replacements are better designed.

The train copying it's predecessor the best must be the Keio 1000 series.