GreenMax completed sets

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

I have for years seen GM completed sets in stores, but oddly considering my fascination with Tokyo commuter types, have not been too tempted by them as in general my money has found its way to the Katos and MicroAces of the world (and the endous and yuzawayas and other more exotic too).    I also have a number of Kit-built GM sets.

Now I'm starting to get interested in the pre-built ("completed") GM sets and realize that I don't know that much about them.  Specifically..

- Do they have directional end-lighting?  Some photos seem to suggest that they do, but perhaps more limited than Kato or Tomix.  I have yet to see pictures of active red taillights on GM completed sets.

- What is the quality of the motors?  As far as I can tell, it seems to be just the most recent GM motor from their kits, which is more low profile than their big old ones, but not totally low profile.

- Are destination stickers included?   I am looking specifically at this one:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10203958p/10/1 which i have in kit-built form but wouldn't mind upgrading.

- What is the overall impression of such sets.  Worth it?

also, can somebody explain to me why none of the GM Seibu 2000 built sets seem to include front "handlebars?"  This is practically the defining feature of the Seibu 2000.

thanks!

hi keio

that model has printed numbers and destinations on the model already and does not specify stickers being available on GM`s website nor on hs page.

I assume it doesn`t since it claims they are printed.

In terms of stickers some are printed and some have stickers bought separately.

it really depends on the model.

Directional lighting is on 90% of completed products. However i have seen a few with out. it will always say in the GM description. in many cases there is a option to buy these.

The motors for all completed in the last year have been based on the slim one. this is only available at gm stores not resellers. but other motor units are available at resellers.

The motor is usually the double motor, 1 for each truck and can be noisy. Though they do run ok.

With the handle bars i cannot say it does not mention if they come as a manually add-on to the vehicle.

Since HS only show the model as is from the box then these will never show the user installed parts.

they do mention that radio fuse box and roof top equipment are all user installed. with a mention of other parts no specification.

• Like 1
Guest keio6000

Dear Mr. Keitaro,

Thank you very much for the detailed response!  It is very helpful.

It would be very strange if for example this Keisei model that I linked to does not have stickers included as it clearly needs them.

My last general question is this: how is the 'finish' on these?  Basically, they look very "plasticky" compared to Kato and Tomix.  I wonder if there is a large advantage compared to well-built GM pre-colored kits.

I had a look at your website:  it is very nice!  I hope whoever bought the Toei 5000 Asakusa line set from you is happy with it - it is a great set!

keio,

the few gm premade sets i have are quite nice. they do not have a plastic finish to them. mechs i have have been good runners no major noise and i think flywheeled some as they are pretty smooth.

they are pricy. mainly got them as they were just something i had to have. must admit the Meitetsu series 1000 was the most ive paid per car (luckily i got it on the first release and the price went up on the second time round) for a set, but well, well worth it. really a beautiful train with kids art of zoo animals on one side and aquarium animals on another (runs out to a zoo and aquarium).

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10061891

cheers

jeff

Keio,

As Jeff mentioned they do have a plastic finish though it`S not so bad on the white ones due to color.

Green max are popular for running the unique revisions of a model example the tokyu subway 50000 i think they have done most variants etc.

Also for their private railway collections (imo larger than the other big guys) Many Japanese modelers kit bash the kits to another variant.

Though Jeff is wrong on the flywheel to date there is not a single fly wheel set.

but they do run good.

Guest keio6000

Hi Guys,

Indeed, I was surprised at the mention that GM had a flywheel unit which now we hear it does not.
Thank you for the excellent feedback - I will keep an eye out.  The ones grabbing my attention are:

jwsmg403-img600x450-1379922274ymmshz9826

- Tokyu 8500 Den-en-Toshi (Shin tamagawa!) line to replace an ok but not great kit-built version.  But then again these trains are so boring it's hard to spend big money on them as there's always something more interesting.

- Keisei 3700 to replace a very good but not perfect kit built version

- Seibu 2000 but would need considerable work as the GM completed set does not look so good (and it may be better to just get an expert built one on yahoo)

- Keisei 3150 (great looking 'ugly' train!). 

and not yet released by GM:

- Toei-Shinjuku 10-000 updated version

- Odakyu 1000 or 2000 though I suspect MicroAce will release this (probably the 1000 as more liveries)

- My long wanted Eidan 8000 Hanzomon line (if MicroAce doesnt finally release it)

- Keisei 3500

Of the GM sets that I see, the Keihan ones in particular look wonderful.  But then again, Keihan trains in general have that wonderful livery.  Meitetsu fans (like jeff) must also be happy.

Mudkip Orange

My sole GM completed set to date is the Keihan 3000; it runs flawlessly, and detail is in the same league as recent Micro Ace (perhaps 95% of Micro Ace)