E7 delivered to depot in Rifu-cho (Sendai area)

bikkuri bahn

Hi,

I'm impressed of how they move fast this by road, they seems to know what to do.

By thebway, I like this new Shinkansen, it semms to have hormonius colour.

I hope having one in HO...

See you.

Nicolas

It'll probably be set up at Rifu-cho, then run at reduced speed to Omiya before running to Nagano, where it may eventually participate in line testing on the completed portions of the new Hokuriku line--hopefully as far west as Itoigawa.

Nice ~ Launches 2015 Haru (Spring). My next planned trip to the land of trains is also 2015 Spring! If i might be able to participate in the initial launch of the E7 with the opening ceremony~ Now that would be fantastic and a great photo to keep for years! 

• Like 1

Hello Mr bikkuri bahn,

Thank you for posting this video.  I had missed that report.  Still, I am surprised they didn't use the rail from the port into Iwakiri Station and run into the yard from there.  Temporary bogies could have been used, right?

I was hoping it would be transported on conventional lines, but this is not a 'mini' shinkansen, so its loading gauge is too big, I guess. The E6 has a different shape so it will work on the converted lines up in Tohoku, doesn't it?

Hello miyakoji-san,

Ah yes!  You are correct.  E6 is 2945mm wide.  E7 probably about 3360mm and cannot pass station platform and other obstacle.  However, there is 324 car on order.  That's a lot of cars to move by road.

I'm hoping that the first trainset will be fully assembled and by ready to roll by early December 2013, so at least we'll see it run at low speed on the Tōhoku Shinkansen line back to Omiya before starting testing on the current Nagano Shinkansen line probably starting early next year.

I'm going to Sendai next Sunday, do you guys think I should drop by to Rifu depot to have a look at the small JR East showroom and would I be able to glance at the E7 train set while at their?

Some daylight footage, along with a short feature on the construction of the Hokuriku Shinkansen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUWPyAG9urU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-vwUbvjrlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmZ-WwhhH0

Interesting to note that the E7系 will be re-using the 'F' formation numbering (the pre-production formation being F1), which was introduced with the delivery of the first 200系1000番台 formation thirty years ago (almost to the day, F1 being delivered on the 22nd of November 1983). The 200系 'F' formations where 12 car formations as well.

I also find it interesting that JR East skipped their normal numbering for pre-production/prototype formations, as it is immediately given it's final Formation number (or at least I assume it is), as opposed to the usual Sxx format (should've been formation S13 in that case) as has been used from the 200系 till the E6. The same seems to be true for the car numbers, skipping the usual 9000番台 format.

-Sander

• Like 4

According to the video posted, aren't they supposed to start testing the Hokuriku line from Nagano to Kurobe-Unazukionsen Station just east of Toyama starting in a few weeks using the E926 East-i trainset?

Magnificent video! Thanks for sharing 200! 

Nice to watch how the tracks and overhead cables are installed... Very good technology and almost everything automated. Good for us to learn ~

Well Japan sure has mascot for every single thing! I kinda like this Mascot ~ Hope to see a painted train somewhere with this mascot ~~

Dang! The more I see the E7/W7, I like it more and more! This could be my second favourite next to the 0 Series (ignoring the aggressive styled 951 type and STAR21 952 type protoypes).

I find the nose to be looking quite weird, like a snake or something. Maybe I'll need to see it from more angles to make a better opinion.

Actually, the nose design reminds me of a slightly less-sleek version of the nose from the E2 Series Shinkansen trainset. There's a reason for this: the top speed of the E7/W7 trainset is limited to 260 km/h, the same top speed as the 800 Series Shinkansen that run on the Kyushu Shinkansen line.

I'm liking the color! But seems strange that the E7 will use blue, since blue is JR West color? Will then W7 be the same color? I was guessing the E7 would be green and the W7 would be blue to differentiate the two..

Testing of the E7系 on the Tōhoku Shinkansen is picking up speed... literally!

Arriving and departing from Sendai (interesting propulsion sound by the way, sounds different from the other (current gen) IGBT Shinkansen (N700系/E5系/E6系)) :

I'm not that sold on the looks either (being more of a J.N.R till mid 90's Shinkansen fan, that shouldn't surprise me at all), though she does look kind of good in profile similar to the N700系.

For me the rounded 500系 style cab windows don't really mesh with the square cross section, as well as the much shorter nose section. I also think the color scheme feels too cold, much closer to a scheme you would expect from JR Kyūshū or JR West, not JR East which usually uses the most colorful schemes of the Shinkansen operating JR companies. I personally think this is a shame, as the Hokuriku Shinkansen will see a lot of snowfall every year. This being the reason for JR East's more colorful look, as well as the reason for the 200系 originally gaining a green ('midori') band as opposed to the blue one on the 0系 (see, I've again managed to shoehorn both the 200系 and 0系 in an unrelated post :toothy12:).

It's good to finally see another 12 car formation back in action though.

Edited by 200系
  • Like 1
Arriving and departing from Sendai (interesting propulsion sound by the way, sounds different from the other (current gen) IGBT Shinkansen (N700系/E5系/E6系)) :

Yes, it does sound different.  Quieter, although that could just be the audio.  But it doesn't seem to have "electrical shifts" as I think of them, like a transmission shifting through an endless series of gears.

I'm not that sold on the looks either (being more of a J.N.R till mid 90's Shinkansen fan, that shouldn't surprise me at all), though she does look kind of good in profile similar to the N700系.

For me the rounded 500系 style cab windows don't really mesh with the square cross section, as well as the much shorter nose section. I also think the color scheme feels too cold, much closer to a scheme you would expect from JR Kyūshū or JR West, not JR East which usually uses the most colorful schemes of the Shinkansen operating JR companies. I personally think this is a shame, as the Hokuriku Shinkansen will see a lot of snowfall every year. This being the reason for JR East's more colorful look, as well as the reason for the 200系 originally gaining a green ('midori') band as opposed to the blue one on the 0系 (see, I've again managed to shoehorn both the 200系 and 0系 in an unrelated post :toothy12:).

Well, as someone else wrote, maybe JRW told them to tone it down a bit :grin.  So you think JR East's more vibrant colors are because their trains will be seen against snow more often?  That's an interesting point.  I suppose some slightly louder colors would have been ok on this.  I do like it the way it is, though.  Too bad they don't have a bit more variety, maybe changing the livery during the lifetime of the vehicles, or even having 2 or more liveries at once in the fleet.