the too-pretty locomotive guide

miyakoji

This is in my suggested videos from time to time. Her job role is called yudoin in Japanese, so I've translated this as guide, I have no idea what this job is called in English. Please remember, if you use JNS Forum more often, I won't be forced to post such inanity. :grin :grin :grin

For a bit of on-topic information, this is at Kyoto Station. EF65 1133 is JR West's locomotive, not JR Freight's. It was part of the eighth build of EF65-1000s, intended to replace aging EF58s on sleeper service in the Kansai area. Twenty were built, EF65-1119 to EF65-1139, with the first half based at Shimonoseki and the second half at Miyahara.

• Like 1

'Shunter' is what the job would be called in the UK, I'd assume in the US it would be 'switcher' or 'switchman' or something like that.

I've come across this video before, slightly bizarre but mind you so are all the other videos that are titled 'female conductor' or 'female driver'!

I'm not sure this job exists on US railroads, really. On freight roads, I think this might be part of the conductor's responsibilities.

I'm not sure this job exists on US railroads, really. On freight roads, I think this might be part of the conductor's responsibilities.

Do freight trains have conductors in the US?!

They sometimes have a second person who rides in the locomotive with the engineer, as far as I know. I think this person is called a conductor, although how his responsibilities compare to those of passenger train conductor (other than those directly related passengers of course), I don't know.

They sometimes have a second person who rides in the locomotive with the engineer, as far as I know. I think this person is called a conductor, although how his responsibilities compare to those of passenger train conductor (other than those directly related passengers of course), I don't know.

Oh I see, the 'conductor' then probably is in charge of coupling and uncoupling etc like the girl in the video on the first post.

US freight trains have two man crews, generally.  A conductor, who is responsible for the train and handles any on the ground stuff and an engineer.  Some local freights may have brakeman as well.

• Like 1

The American conductor is similar in role to the Australian or British guard, I've heard both terms used in Japan.  The two employees in the video appear to be what we Aussies or the British would call shunters who are based in a particular yard or station rather than being part of a train crew.  Guide would be a pretty good description as their job is to guide shunting movements around the yard or station area.

The American conductor is similar in role to the Australian or British guard, I've heard both terms used in Japan.  The two employees in the video appear to be what we Aussies or the British would call shunters who are based in a particular yard or station rather than being part of a train crew.  Guide would be a pretty good description as their job is to guide shunting movements around the yard or station area.

Freight trains here havn't had guards since the last unfitted freight train ran (train with no brakes limited to 45mph) with the guard in a brake van at the end! Good to see other countries still have them!

Freight trains here havn't had guards since the last unfitted freight train ran (train with no brakes limited to 45mph) with the guard in a brake van at the end! Good to see other countries still have them!

Freight trains here haven't had them for twenty years or more either so I should have used a bit of past tense.