Orient Express 88 Question

Eclipse

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I could not find a direct answer and Google returns many poorly translated sites in Japanese.

I know it's a bit late to get this set but I am going to try anyhow.

So my understanding is that the orient express 88 at was released in 2009 and again in 2012 and only in Japan. I have 3 questions regarding differences between the releases.

1. The 2009 D51-498 model number was 2006-2 and released under the roundhouse name and the 2012 model number was the 2016-2 and was released under kato. From what I understand the 2016-2 is superior. Is this correct?

2. I can't figure out I if the EF58 61 was related in both 2009 and 2012. I only see one model number 3038. Was it released both years and if so are there any differences?

3. The passenger cars 10-561 and 10-562 look to have the same model number for both 2009 and 2012. Were they released both years and are there any differences between the two?

Thank you for your time!

The Kato Nostalgie Istanbul Orient Express sets 10-561 and 10-562 were first released in December 2008 and re-issued in February 2012.

1. 2016-2 is definitely the superior model, based on the new design/moulding of the D51, with correct 1:150 scale.  The old model (ie the Roundhouse repaint) is a 1:~140 model.

2. The same EF58 61 loco was released at both times; this was the loco that generally "backed up" the D51 498.  There are no differences between either the 2008 and 2012 release as the mould is relatively current.  This loco was also released prior to this, to go with the Imperial Train.

3. For all intents and purposes, there is no difference between the 2008 and 2012 release of 10-561 and 10-562.  However, I have heard that there was some minor changes to the bogies of the carriages for smoother/improved running.  As I only have the 2012 release, I cannot compare this with the 2008 release to verify.

Good luck in trying to obtain this set; it really is fantastic and I am sure you will be very happy.

Edited by VJM

VJM,

Thank you very much for your help. I pieced the set together from a few sellers and got both engines (with the newer D51) and both sets of cars. I'm hoping they are both the 2012 ones. Is there a date anywhere on the packaging?

I probably paid about $100 USD to much over what it was going for earlier in the year but it is a Christmas gift for my father so it's worth it to me.

Thanks again!

Edited by Eclipse
Martijn Meerts

The Kato Roundhouse D51 isn't as out of scale as some other earlier Kato steamers, but it doesn't come with lighting, and the details are pretty weak compared to the new D51 release. I have both versions of it, and I doubt the Roundhouse one is going to see much running time at all. I may end up kit bashing it a little or just give it a different road number ;)

There were several locomotives pulling the Orient Express 88 through Japan, but the D51 and EF58 are the most popular ones. The D51 also never pulled it by itself, it was always accompanied by the EF58 (as far as I know). Other locomotives that pulled it were just general locomotives rather than the more special ones like D51 and EF58.

I have the 2009 version of the car sets myself, and probably paid too much for them, but it's a lovely train and well worth it.