Bullet train layout USA

Guest Bernard

Martijn Meerts

You could try to incorporate those variable track pieces from whatever brand would fit the best. Judging by the picture, the front line is easy to adjust for a variable track, since it's just a straight piece. The rear line might need some adjustments though.

First, that three-level track crossing is really nice. It should look great with trains running on it.

As for the lift-out section, one thing you could do is use one of the techniques used for a liftable bridge section: precisely align the two subroadbeds (using something like pins that drop into notches, or a pair of deadbolts that extend into tight sockets), then instead of connecting the two facing track sections, simply solder the rail ends to a printed circuit board (PCB) tie (cut the copper between the rails to avoid a short) on each side.  And secure the PCB to the subroadbed (using glue or similar) so it can't move. If the rails can't move, and the two subroadbeds always align the same, it works.

That's obviously harder to pull off in N than in HO or OO (which are the examples I've seen), but it's not necessarily impossible.

Ken - I'm not sure I'm following your suggestion but are you suggesting that the 2 rail sections that have to connect to each end of the Viaduct dog bone, be designed so that as separate pieces, lift out?

Marti - you got it, it's the curved segment that has me worried. The straight piece will be easy to align when I have to take off the Mt. top. Also I just got my package of Peco flex track and now am undecided as to go with Kato unitrack pieces for this Mt. top section or go with the Peco. Why I'm thinking about the Unitrack is that the curved section is fixed whereas the Peco flex might shift. Any thoughts guys?

Now that I've extended the track to go beyond the Mt. top, I need to be able to disconnect 2 pieces of track to lift off the Mt. top.

Ken - I'm not sure I'm following your suggestion but are you suggesting that the 2 rail sections that have to connect to each end of the Viaduct dog bone, be designed so that as separate pieces, lift out?

If I understood your description, there's track on the removable section that needs to disconnect from track that's on the fixed part of the layout. I was suggesting a way to align the two.  If that wasn't what you were looking for, then I misundestood.

Now that I've extended the track to go beyond the Mt. top, I need to be able to disconnect 2 pieces of track to lift off the Mt. top.

If I understood your description, there's track on the removable section that needs to disconnect from track that's on the fixed part of the layout. I was suggesting a way to align the two.  If that wasn't what you were looking for, then I misundestood.

You got it, that is what I'm looking for. I'm not worried about the straight section, it's the alignment of the outer curve that I'm worried about aligning once I take it up. I just got my Peco Concrete ties track and it looks great. Now my next question is mixing the two and how it's going to look Peco & Unitrack with the build in roadbed??

post-22-13569924324621_thumb.jpg

Here are some more photos of the progress of the new Viaduct section. As luck would have it, I left for Upstate Wed morning and the Peco track arrived at noon. Murphy Law because if I had waited that day it would never  would have arrived the same day.

The Unitrack makes it easy for me to reconnect the sections when I have to remove the top of the mountain when there is a derailment but then I'm mixing from Unitrack Viaduct sections to Unitrack then to Peco flex. I'm thinking of going with just the Unitrack Viaduct to Peco flex and not even using the regular Unitrack with the roadbed.

One thing I know about myself....I really like doing everything on a model RR layout except scenery....the part of model RRing that most modelers can't wait to get to.....I'll avoid. :dontknow:

post-22-13569924324918_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924325209_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924325502_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924325931_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924326245_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924326528_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924326822_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924327171_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

If you're planning on going only flex track and no unitrack (other than the viaducts), I'd say have a serious look at those variable track sections. I've used them for similar situations, and they work great. For use with the Peco track, you can grab a couple of the Minitrix variable tracks for example.

As for how to do it, if you look at the third picture, you can remove a little bit of the mountain side, and curve the track a little towards those 2 stub tracks. That gives you a little more space to incorporate the straight variable track piece. You could of course do it with Unitrack as well, but the flex track is just a bit more.. well.. flexible ;)

It's probably a bit of work, but at least you don't need to be so precise to make sure everything lines up.

Oh, and you're not alone if it comes to scenery. It's not my favorite bit either. I prefer to lay track, divide it into blocks, and then run trains using the computer ;)

Your layout is like a microcosm of Japan itself, you just keep adding more tracks under and on top of what's already there!

Yes and a lot of traditional modelers would be rolling their eyes at me for adding this additional line. They feel that "too much track makes the layout look like a bowl of spaghetti"

Ken & Marti - Yeah I think if I do a lift out section of the curve track that might do the trick. And Marti I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who doesn't care to do scenery. :grin

This is so awesome. I love the vids. Very inspiring work! :D

Scaper - Thank you. What this layout really needs......some of your buildings on it!

I was able to do some work on the New Viaduct and after installing some of the new Peco cement ties flex track I ran a test. I'm still evening out the grade in relation to the viaducts.

Here is a video:

• Like 3

Finally after a long period of work (I'm not complaining :grin) I got to work on my layout this weekend!!

I've added some Vollmer, Kato, Kibri, and GreenMax structures plus I also got 2 boats to put into my very empty river.

Here are some photos:

post-22-13569926512943_thumb.jpg

post-22-1356992651325_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926513553_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926513863_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926514156_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926514493_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926514798_thumb.jpg

I like the buildings, but now you need some cars.  :grin

Ken - And people too! I have the cars but want to redo some of the roads......(layouts are never done!)

Interestingly enough...the lot of cars I ordered from China are better than the Kato cars I have and a heck of a lot less I might add!

Here are some photos with some cars add.

The last photo show a 3 pole switch at the bottom which allows me to change the Viaduct track to run either DC or DCC trains. You'll see the E3 on top, I test out all my trains on this track before converting them to DCC, to make sure there aren't any problems with the trains before the conversion.

post-22-1356992651614_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926516473_thumb.jpg

post-22-1356992651678_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926517113_thumb.jpg

Got to do some more work on the layout this weekend. I wasn't happy with the town I was building around the viaduct in particular the road. So I decided to rip up the entire area and start again. This time I used WS materials to make the road and was very happy with the results! In the past I didn't want to pay the additional cost for what is basically ultra thin weather stripping to form the roads, but WS is the only company that I know that makes it this thin. In all it was easy to made the roads and now all I have to do is paint them. I also decided to re-build the bridge after seeing that the original was too wide. I also made a guard railing out to toothpicks (for the posts) and balsa stripes for the rails.

There is still a lot more work to do but it's a start. 

post-22-13569926629205_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926629595_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569926629878_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This is looking good Bernard. One thing that really scares me is wiring and such. The whole DCC and DC stuff confuses the heck out of me.

Looking forward to more pics! :D

This is looking good Bernard. One thing that really scares me is wiring and such. The whole DCC and DC stuff confuses the heck out of me.

Looking forward to more pics! :D

Scaper - We're on the opposite sides of the hobby.  :grin

Wiring and building the layout is the fun part for me....planning a town, city, etc is the hard part for me and I don't have the same amount of patience for scenery that I have for the other aspects of model RRing.  :cheesy

Fisk - For the Viaduct supports I originally used what Kato supplied in the set but there is an incline from point A to B and needed to figure out the grade. I tried shimming down the supports but they are too big. So after figuring out the incline I am temporary am using 1" insulation foam board to create the grade. Next I will shape the foam into the supports. There was a lot of trail & error (mostly error) in getting the right incline.

The step I'm trying to figure out is how to plan (or fit) a town in the area in front and behind the viaduct. Some of the structures will be partially under the viaduct. A little kitbashing will be in order....(Scaper makes it look so easy ...and it's not.)

Martijn Meerts

It's funny, every time there's a new photo, it looks like you've added a complete new section to the layout. I always get this idea that the total layout is HUGE by now =)

As for the wiring vs. scenery thing. I used to really like laying track, and when I got to the scenery bit, everything ground to a halt (I sucked at it, didn't have the patience back then to do it right either.) These days, I still enjoy laying track, don't really like wiring (there's quite a few meters of wire under my father's layout by now), and really enjoy landscaping. The Woodland Scenics earth colors to create rock faces, and their rock molds have made it so I can create decent looking mountains :)

Of course, once I really get going with my modules, I might change my views on wiring, as it'll be much easier to wire single modules than an entire layout.

Landscaping is the best!  It is very relaxing and peaceful to have trains running in the background while you add foliage. Making weeds along the tracks is one of my favorite activities, but patience is certainly required.

hi bernard, just caught up with your latest developments. WOOOOOW. You cant get enough track it is a total inspiration.

Mr. Platts - Thank you...it just is a lot of fun. How are things going with you?