Bullet train layout USA

Guest Bernard

Alright here is another video where I put the camera on top of the tunnel portals and you can see a quick shot of a C57 running on top of the mountain.

And yet another video at night:

Your layout is really nice man, such a long run, so much scenery, i could drink beers there for hours!

Might i suggest buying like 100000 trees on ebay and putting some vegetation on those mountains?

Awesome looking layout man, and its HUUUUUUUUGE...

Scenery....yep it needs a lot of trees, underbrush, etc. and I have to finish the car bridges. Not to mention the buildings I need to finish the depot at one tram line.

I hope to have some new videos in a couple of weeks....  and thanks for the compliments. :color:

The car lighting is really flickering - is the track dirty or the car not pick up well?

I'm working through something similar with my Hankyu 6300. Unlike my E531 it just doesn't want to have steady pickup for the the lighting kits.

I was wondering if it was possible for you to extend you old tram line to the new on...  ???

At another time I'll show you an over view of the layout and you'll see that the 2 Tram lines are at different parts and levels of the layout. Originally the 1st tram line was meant for the Portrams but the lower voltage factor on the Tomytech Trams effected the reverse unit.

I was running trains and doing some work on my layout (except scenery....will do any thing to avoid it)

I have 2 areas of my layout that are independent from one another and I was thinking of connecting them.

The photos show a mock up with double viaduct track showing where the track will connect. It is basically a dog-bone plan, connecting one end of the layout (City) to the other (rural mountain) spanning over another town where the tram is running underneath.

My big dilemma is....is this just too much track on a layout?

post-22-13569923669276_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569923669571_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569923669862_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569923670206_thumb.jpg

Personally, I'd say no.

Looking at your pics, I think the viaduct section actually acts as a bit of scenic break if anything, which helps overall.

More video btw, I really enjoyed the last one :)

Graham

Martijn Meerts

Look at it this way.. The more track, the more trains you can have, and the less scenery you have to add. There's really only positive things =)

Well, I'm glad I finally have a computer that can handle Youtube, so I could see that video--it looks like a great layout; even better in motion.

too much track on a layout?

I'm sorry, you're going to have to translate that phrase for me--I just can't understand it!

;-)

Look at it this way.. The more track, the more trains you can have, and the less scenery you have to add. There's really only positive things =)

But there would be more ballast.  :cheesy Perhaps Bernard can find some slab track.

Just use roadbed tracks from brands as Kato, Fleischmann, Tomix or Atlas.  Then add grey kitty litter as ballast and you will have a layout that even your cat(s) will enjoy!  :cheesy:grin:laugh:

But there would be more ballast.   :cheesy Perhaps Bernard can find some slab track.

Ballast....Bill, you read my mind. That's why I'm using the Unitrack double viaduct set :grin  

Marti - I think that's the main reason for more track = less scenery for me :cheesy

Leo - No way will I use kitty litter I have enough trouble with 2 cats trying to sneak into the train room.

Scott - Congratulations on getting your computer working.

But thanks guys for all your input, I'm always wondering if I'm going overboard but I like seeing trains running in long runs.

Mudkip Orange

My big dilemma is....is this just too much track on a layout?

Hauling coal through midwestern cornfields? Yes.

Urban commuter/intercity rail in japan? No.

Well I finally got around to start construction on the viaduct that will connect the Mountain at the West end of the layout to the City in the East end. I have a Kato Viaduct set that I've been toying with the idea of how to incorporate it into the layout and I think I've figured it out. The hardest part was figuring out the grade from one area to the other and making sure it was going to be that hard for the trains to negotiate. What I did was take a string and run it from the 2 area and figure out the degree/angle it was at. I then took the supports of the viaduct and start trimming then down with a saw & some sand paper to make the transition smooth. This is where I really like flex track as opposed to section track. I noticed that the slightest bump in the grade made the trains jump on the track this is where a lot of trimming on the supports had to be done. With long pieces of flex track you don't have as man breaks in the track plus you get better contract with the train. To join the 2 areas I had to improvise a split in the viaduct. The basic plan is a dog bone. Here are some photos of the progress. I will be mixing Peco code 80 flex track with Kato Unitrack.

post-22-13569924275747_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924276039_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924276364_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924276648_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924276946_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924277301_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924277589_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569924277882_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
Martijn Meerts

Looks good.

And yeah, flex track makes it a lot easier doing smooth transitions onto grades. I'm really starting to like the flex stuff, although the big disadvantage is that you can't quickly lay down some track to check if something works ;)

Hey Bernard you are back!

Hope you enjoyed the Winter Olympics.

Your layout is inspiring me to start working on my layout asap...well after doing the taxes and bill payments...

Hey Bernard you are back!

Hope you enjoyed the Winter Olympics.

Your layout is inspiring me to start working on my layout asap...well after doing the taxes and bill payments...

Leo - The Olympics were great and that's because the Canadians made it so! And thanks for bringing up TAXES..... :confused3:

Marti - man I like flex track, for permanent layouts because the sections are so long there is a slimmer chance of a break in electric or bumps in the track. This morning I finally the viaduct grade to work at a nice even slope and I tested it was a Tomix and Kato 5 pole train with only one DC connection. It made life easy, all my other 3 pole motored trains like Minitrix, Fleishmann, etc. didn't get enough current from the track to complete the test.

PROBLEM: The new track connects one end of the layout to the other but one of the ends has a large mountain that comes off to access the 6 lines that run underneath in case of derailments. Originally there was just and oval that ran around the mountain top so to lift off the top was easy, no tracks to disconnect. Now that I've extended the track to go beyond the Mt. top, I need to be able to disconnect 2 pieces of track to lift off the Mt. top. Here is a photo of what I'm describing:

post-22-13569924319804_thumb.jpg