Bullet train layout USA

Guest Bernard

I did some work on a small town on the river. I've add street lights and have lighted the buildings. I want to redo the the street marking.

post-22-13569922345376_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922345867_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922346565_thumb.jpg

Jansen - I've been working on the layout now for 5 1/2 years so far and still going. I can only work on it at intervals so when I'm able to work on it, really get focused. The new Tram line came about only a month ago when I need to think of a space I needed to fill.

You will be surprised at how fast things can come together and how things you thought were going to work out have to be revised, but it's all fun!

I did some work on the yard recently. I'm going to add buildings and trucks in the black area which will be pavement. Some the the structure that are there are wired for lights. The next step will be adding street markers.

There is a road that runs between all the tracks where a forklift can go from track to track.

I just placed an order for code 55 Mirco Engineering flex track and I going to replace the Peco code 80 track where the Tram line is with that.

post-22-13569922360798_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922361707_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

Didn't you redo the track plan for the yard recently? Can you tell us what changed?

Hi Don - Here is one of the original plans for the yard that I did construct and later took apart, it just wasn't effective. The staging tracks were shorter and I couldn't fit as many trains as I wanted to in the yard. Unfortunately I never took photos of the first yard. I even redesigned it with 3 exit/entry tracks in to the main lines but again, I lost a lot of space. The current design has 2 entry/exits, one of the top and the other on the side, one revision I could do is have a double crossover on the side that would serve for both directions a trains was traveling. The change I made was filling the the mouth of the yard with what will be pavement, where trucks, crates, etc. will be stored and activity will happen.

And on a side note, how is the baby? Is she due to celebrate her 1st birthday soon?

post-22-1356992236218_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922364127_thumb.jpg

That's an impressive project, Bernard--it's nice to see the various steps along the way.

But..."Leech Memorial Hospital"?  ::)  ;)

Well, the building looks nice (that's the name the manufacture, Heijan gave it in their cataloge) even if it's a little out of place. ;D  ::)

There are 4 main lines on the layout with a mountain line and a Shuttle/tram line in production. I'm going to experiment with code 55 flex track for the shuttle line. Soldering feeder wires to the smaller code 55 is going to be interesting. I just got my Micro Engineering flex track today and it is very different from Atlas or Peco. It is the stiffest flex track by far which I feel with hold it shape better for making radii but bending it into shape will take a little bit of work. 

Yes, Bernard, what trams have ya got?  ;D

With all the nice N scale trams on the market, you're spoiled for choice!

Cheers,

Mark.

As for the Tram I'm going to use.....I don't know :-\

I'm open for recommendations.  ;)

I've ordered my auto reverse unit and am waiting for it to arrive. Due to budget, when I listed and compared all the units, DC was the lest expensive root.

I'm calling it a Tram line but I think it is more of a Shuttle between 2 cities.

I would recommend Modemo series if you are using Tomix or Kato tracks since they are sensitive to track condition. 

But I am also looking forward for Tomytec to release its first modern tram this summer.

tomytec001.jpg

Sushi Train

I would recommend Modemo series if you are using Tomix or Kato tracks since they are sensitive to track condition. 

But I am also looking forward for Tomytec to release its first modern tram this summer.

tomytec001.jpg

ooooooooh I like that tram! I'm a sucker for modern trams  :-*

As for the Tram I'm going to use.....I don't know :-\ I'm open for recommendations.  ;)

Bernard, I too would suggest something from the Modemo range, as all the ones I've seen and played with performed beautifully, even under the less than ideal conditions of a 3-day exhibtion. I don't know whether your interests extend to older Japanese trains, but your idea of a shuttle bewteen two cities makes me think "interurban cars". Apart from their very nice Hakone Tozan cars, Modemo also make some rather nice Meitetsu interurbans:

10078997b2.jpg

Something to think about, anyway!  ;D

All the best,

Mark.

I sold on that 600 series Tram line! I like the look and it will fit in perfectly as a Modern Tram going from one city to another. Thanks for the links Mark & Leo.

Leo, do you know when Tomytec will release that Tram? I didn't know Tomytec made trains I thought they made mostly structures. I thought only their parent company Tomix made all the trains.

As for track conditions, 95% of the layout is Flex track, I've only used Kato Unitrack for my bridges. The Tram line is going to run on Code 55 rails, more prototypical but not as high as code 80 which is what Fine track or Unitrack are made of.

So would a Modemo Tram be sensitive to code 55? (I know older trains because of the depth of their wheel flanges, can't run on code 55.)

I sold on that 600 series Tram line! I like the look and it will fit in perfectly as a Modern Tram going from one city to another. Thanks for the links Mark & Leo.

No worries Bernard, glad you liked it!

Leo, do you know when Tomytec will release that Tram? I didn't know Tomytec made trains I thought they made mostly structures. I thought only their parent company Tomix made all the trains.

The Portram models were announce at the Shizuoka show in 2008, presumably for release later this year (2009).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~raicho/news/plaatjes_0508/shizuoka_2008/shizuoka_2008.html

Tomytec has an extensive range of N scale model EMUs and interurbans, marketed as the "Railway Collection". There is also a steeplecab loco and some freight cars in the range.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/1218/0/1

These are static models intended for display, but they can be motorised using the Tomytec mechanisms made for that purpose.

As for track conditions, 95% of the layout is Flex track, I've only used Kato Unitrack for my bridges. The Tram line is going to run on Code 55 rails, more prototypical but not as high as code 80 which is what Fine track or Unitrack are made of. So would a Modemo Tram be sensitive to code 55? (I know older trains because of the depth of their wheel flanges, can't run on code 55.)

Bernard, that's something I'd have to check for you before answering. I have a couple of the Tomytec mechanisms, and from memory they have fairly fine flanges. I'll dig one out and have a look for you.

Cheers,

Mark.

Apart from their very nice Hakone Tozan cars, Modemo also make some rather nice Meitetsu interurbans:

I almost got one of the Modemo models of that same interurban off eBay, but then went with a 2-car Microace "Akagaeru" set like this one.

Of course, I haven't been able to use it yet, so this isn't very useful  ::) , but with luck it'll be running soon.

As for track conditions, 95% of the layout is Flex track, I've only used Kato Unitrack for my bridges. The Tram line is going to run on Code 55 rails, more prototypical but not as high as code 80 which is what Fine track or Unitrack are made of. So would a Modemo Tram be sensitive to code 55? (I know older trains because of the depth of their wheel flanges, can't run on code 55.)

Bernard, that's something I'd have to check for you before answering. I have a couple of the Tomytec mechanisms, and from memory they have fairly fine flanges. I'll dig one out and have a look for you.

Mark - Thanks in advance. If the flanges are too deep, (which I think won't be the case with newer models) they won't work on the code 55. I would hate to find this out after I purchased the model.

Hi Bernard,

Last time I check the Tomytec website, the Portram was suppose to be released this summer.  However, I cannot find anywhere in the site now. 

If somebody can read the Japanese, can you please let us know whether the Tomytec Portram will be installed with a motor?

Claude_Dreyfus

Mark - Thanks in advance. If the flanges are too deep, (which I think won't be the case with newer models) they won't work on the code 55. I would hate to find this out after I purchased the model.

If memory serves me right, my Modermo Tokyu 300 tram operated without a problem on our layout, on both code 55 and code 80. Likewise for the 'tram-trains'.... I can give a definitive answer on the 300 series this weekend if you like....

Claude - Any review on a train is helpful and worth waiting for.

I just tracked my Miniantronics auto reverse unit and it's supposed to arrive today.

Last night I stopped by my LHS and we had a really good discussion about reverse units. Even though I didn't buy it from him ::) (a whole lot less from an online store) He gave me a lot of good information which I'll pass on once I set up the unit, just to make sure everything works.

Since I went in to buy my ballast & track from him, he commented, "for a guy who really hates ballasting, you think code 80 was a pain, have fun with this code 55!"

The Tram line is up and running and with a few bits of tweaking it works fine. My one disappointment is that the Tram doesn't stop at each station for a couple of seconds. Here is a photo of one end of the Tram line.

The next step is to work on the central station. There is going to be a lot of Kitbashing to do this. From the second photo you can see I'm using this station kit for the overpass. (I've had it in storage from years ago)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003173

I think to accomplish the total overhead station, I'll need at least 2 more kits.

Recently Kato came out with this overhead station kit:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10064165a/20/1

It looks interesting but need to know more about it. I'm wondering if I can kitbash the two stations. Does anyone have the new Kato overhead station?

post-22-13569922447311_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922447748_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

That is going to be a fine station. Those are the platforms you ordered from Walthers, right? Could you give the dimensions (in mm) of the platorm base? Width, length, and height of platform deck? I'm curious to know how suitable those might be for future projects of mine.

I've seen lots of photos of the new Kato station, and it's really nice. But the Kato station is built for Unitrack spacing (don't know what this is), and the Tomix model with FineTrack spacing (37mm midline to midline for side platforms; 55.5mm for island platforms.) You will have to take this into account when choosing which to use. Also, the new Kato one is much more expensive.

Will give the dimensions of the Walthers' butterfly platforms in the next post.

There were 2 factors in choosing Walthers, first I really liked the look of them and second and probably most important of all, the price. You get 8 platforms in a box for about $14.00 USD, and I need 24 platforms. The Kato platforms are nice but are about $15.00 USD for one. Even though the Kato's are longer, wider and higher, I would still need between 12 to 15 of these units. (Ouch!)

To compensate for the height, I'm adding cut pieces of foam under the base of each platform and then painting them gray. Right now every thing is being test fitted and won't be put in permanently until I kitbash the overhead station.