Bullet train layout USA

Guest Bernard

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes for you. I have two of the overhead stations, and was thinking about kitbashing them together, but now I need something that will cover five platforms, not four.

But I don't think the Katos are that much more, though--IIRC, MB Klein has the "Island Platform Set" for about $15 for 5 pieces. They're probably not as cheap as the Walthers, but not several times the price.

Pilotfish - That is a good price on the platform set! You won't have to do much kitbashing on the overhead stations since the dimensions are designed for their platforms. I have to raise the Walther's platforms to meet the stairway of the overhead station.

Don - Here are the dimensions of the Walther's Butterfly platforms:

6 1/8"L x 1 1/4"W x 1 3/8"H

Since I was thinking of changing to the Kato platforms, I spaced the track (nearest in the photo) a little wider. Now I'm going to reposition it closer. One great thing about Elmer's white glue, soak it with water and it comes apart easily. That is what I'm doing with the track and am going to add my program track as a spur. 

post-22-13569922448127_thumb.jpg

Well, I repositioned the outer line and matched it up with the Walther's platforms. Surprisingly it went very smoothly to take apart the track and cork roadbed. I does get a bit messy when you soak the ballast with water because you are really making "mud". I had my trusty wet vac on hand and just soaked it up as I went.

My program track for DCC was a piece of track that I would pull out when I needed to program a train. I thought while I'm at it why don't I make a permanent Program track as a spur and incorporate it into the layout. You can see it in the photos and it is insulated after the switch. I tested out the tracks before re-ballasting (yuck! :P))

and everything worked fine. Too bad MB Klein ran out of the Butterfly platforms, I only need one more set to finish the main station. I measured the Kato overhead station that I have and I think I need 2 more to kitbash to complete it. BUT, I was looking at the Greenmax station sets, has anybody used these stations kits and if you look at the photos of the main station, do you think I can kitbash them to fit the area?

@Bernard

Cannot wait to see how it progresses when I get back.  I am thinking of getting inspirations from Spain train station.  I especially like Santiago Calatrava's style.

The experimenting with the Acrylic Glaze continues. I added another coat to see if it will improve the look. The photo shows the 3rd coat and it isn't dry (that is why you see the milky white streaks but the shoreline is that color white)

post-22-13569922635068_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes for you. I have two of the overhead stations, and was thinking about kitbashing them together, but now I need something that will cover five platforms, not four.

Grab a larger structure (doesn't actually have to be a "station" originally) and just use the stairways and pylons from the Kato kits.

People at TB having been asking me the same thing, right now I'm under a deadline with a film, as I'm typing this I have the film on another monitor.

I have the other structures to Kitbash the overhead station and might post it in another thread about the proceedure. The problem is I'm 5 hrs away from the layout and I need to do this on the layout measuring the exact dimensions the new station and platforms will be.

Too bad my boss has his priorities mixed up. :grin

I know the layout may still be in progress, but you have done some cracking work there Bernard :cheesy. Keep up with the great work mate.

Love the video ... layout looks awesome. We should add your basement as one of the "must see" places when we get a chance to travel to the US  :grin

Bernard,

Did you set the speed on the trains? or Are they running at an adjusted voltage/speed level? One problem that I've encountered with the U.S. models, none of the engines run at the same speed with the same applied voltage. I just bought all three Kato NS SD70M's and they all run at different speeds. I was shocked to see how one bullet trailed the other train over half of the layout and did not lose more than a inch.

Inobu 

Inobu - I really didn't set the speeds on the trains, this was a test for me to use my new camera. :grin

Here is another video showing more of the layout:

Was that the auto-reverse system at around 0:23?  :grin

Yes it's the RU1-1 by Miniatronics. It's not hard to install and it runs on DC. This is where I plan to run my Tomytec Portram when it arrives.

Martijn Meerts

Looking good ;)

Is it possibly to add a pause with that auto-reverse unit btw? Because like it is now, you'll end up with a busted motor or stripped gears after some time...

Looking good ;)

Is it possibly to add a pause with that auto-reverse unit btw? Because like it is now, you'll end up with a busted motor or stripped gears after some time...

I wished it could, that is the down side of the unit. If there was a pause, I feel it would look more realistic.

I am noticing the train is starting to slip a little on the track due to the unit.

One interesting note, when I dim the lights in the room, it effects the units light sensors.