B Train shorty pantographs

cteno4

Has anyone upgraded their btrain shorties with working metal pantographs? problem here in that the shortening of the cars means if you were to proportion the pantographs they would not raise very high! thinking of using some of the scissor pantographs that are the shortest in length. while not prototypical for most of the cars i might put these on, at least they would not be 30% of the length of the car!

im betting someone has an etched brass set that you can fold up into an open or closed setting that is nice and short for btrains.

jeff

Hi Jeff,

I've tried a few different ones. I've posted pictures over in the B Train Shorty thread.  It's one of those conundrums, the length of the car isn't scale but the width is (more or less). I've got Kato and Greenmax pantographs. Haven't found one yet that'll fit the zero series Shinkansen though. Let us know if you find any.

Todd

Edited by tossedman

Todd,

Thanks, I thought someone had posted some Picts of a btrain with a new pantograph! Forgot about that thread.

This was the shortest in length I've found

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10141110

Not prototypical for many trains, but at least short.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Jeff, I haven't tried the Tomix pantographs but I seem to recall that they need to be glued on as they don't fit the holes in the B train like the Kato pantographs do. Keikyu has more pictures here. If you try those short Tomix pantographs let me know if they'll fit the zero series Shinkansen.

Thanks.

Todd

Todd,

Interesting, makes sense they matched the kato bases as they had the motor chassis and trucks from kato.

Here is a short kato similiar to the greenmax that keikyu used.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003611

Jeff

I think i misworded that a bit. The box pantos are Kato and are the ones you posted, the single arm are Greenmax because i wasn't aware Kato made single arms until afterwards.

In any case, sometimes fitting the pantos depends on the train. I had to glue the box ones onto my Hankyu 2000 because the holes were too big, but they fit fine on my EF66 that I posted later in the thread.

Tomix seem more realistic in the sense that they have the 4 parts connecting to the train, while Kato generally seems to have those stubs that do fit onto Shorties. Unless you did some cutting I don't think Tomix would work, but Kato and Greenmax generally do.