Hokkaido shinkansen billboard

bikkuri bahn

Spotted in a local bank building lobby, a countdown board for the opening of the Hokkaido Shinkansen as far as Shin Hakodate.  Note the artist's conception of the train- very E7ish, wouldn't you say?? (previous depictions were more fastech 360-like).

post-133-0-07317900-1381760461_thumb.jpg

I doubt it. It's likely the trains running from Shin-Aomori to Shin-Hakodate Stations will essentially be E5 models, not another new model (essentially, the Hayabusa service will be extended all the way from Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate). I wouldn't be surprised that later-production E2's will be assigned to all-stops service between the two stations I mentioned.

I doubt it. It's likely the trains running from Shin-Aomori to Shin-Hakodate Stations will essentially be E5 models, not another new model (essentially, the Hayabusa service will be extended all the way from Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate). I wouldn't be surprised that later-production E2's will be assigned to all-stops service between the two stations I mentioned.

Why not? JR East had developed and produced the E7 (to be delivered soon) in under one year, so why not a Hokkaidō version of the E7? Granted the E7 is based on the E2, but I think a further development of the E7 is also possible. Then again, a Hokkaidō E5 (for speeds over 260kph of which the E7 will be capable of) would be more convenient for Hayabusa operations to Tōkyō.

Why not? JR East had developed and produced the E7 (to be delivered soon) in under one year, so why not a Hokkaidō version of the E7? Granted the E7 is based on the E2, but I think a further development of the E7 is also possible. Then again, a Hokkaidō E5 (for speeds over 260kph of which the E7 will be capable of) would be more convenient for Hayabusa operations to Tōkyō.

With many E2 trainsets now being displaced by E5 trainsets on the Tōhoku Shinkansen lines (and these are NOT the special E2's designed to handle the steeper grades between Takasaki and Karuizawa), they could be refurbished and transferred to all-stops service between Morioka and Shin-Hakodate. And the Hayabusa service will become Tokyo-Omiya-Sendai-Morioka-Hachinohe-Shin-Aomori-Shin-Hakodate.

Spotted in a local bank building lobby, a countdown board for the opening of the Hokkaido Shinkansen as far as Shin Hakodate.  Note the artist's conception of the train- very E7ish, wouldn't you say?? (previous depictions were more fastech 360-like).

attachicon.gifDSC_0302.JPG

In both cases the bank has probably just told the artist to draw a train that looks like the latest thing in shinkansens.  While there are a lot of them not all Japanese are railfans that can tell an E5 from an E7

• Like 1